Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

barking question

Home Archive Forums Dogs Basic Dog Training barking question

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • Author

about 2 months ago a friend of mine moved in with me, she doesnt ussualy get home from work until late, about 10:30, the problem i have is that stan will bark whenever she come into the house.

stan does bark at the door if someone knocks or the door bell goes, now i want to keep this as he often notifies me to the door when i havent heard it but i have to stop him from barking whenever my friend comes in as the neighbours are complaining.

when the door bell goes and he barks i say ‘goodboy’ ‘hush’ (that is his quiet comand) then goodboy again.

when my friend comes in i just say ‘hush’ then when hes quiet i say goodboy.

what else can i do, or am i doing something wrong as i do need to stop this

Crafty1980

This is WAY out of my league I’m afraid… but I’m sure someone has an answer! I’ll watch intentally to what answers come along! πŸ™‚

*Nat*

Have you tried completey ignoring him when your friend comes home?

Just thinking he’s getting a reaction from you when she comes home, the same as he would if anyone knocked on the door or if the door bell goesΒ  :-\

the first week that my friend moved in we tried ignoring but he does like a 30 second wowowo everytime if ignored were if told to hush its just one bark each time

how long has she been there? maybe he still needs to get used to the sounds of her coming home?

she has been her for about 2-3 months

oh well plenty of time to get used to it thenΒ  ::) maybe a change of routine to throw him, maybe she calls just before she comes in and you can cue hush first?? no idea if that would work maybe talking out of my bottyΒ  πŸ˜€

*Lassie*

[quote author=kerrie and stan link=topic=12170.msg234491#msg234491 date=1217866793]
    the first week that my friend moved in we tried ignoring but he does like a 30 second wowowo everytime if ignored were if told to hush its just one bark each time
    [/quote]

Wait for the neighbours to go out then get your friend to go out and come in again, both of you ignore Stan, don’t speak and no eye contact. The moment he shuts up then good boy that’s a good hush and big reward. Keep doing it – may take at least 6 – 7 times so your mate will be spending most of her day at the door but when he knows he will be rewarded for being quiet Β πŸ˜‰ ;D
    She may have to reward every time she comes home for a while but you can make the reward smaller and lower value as you go on.

tried that πŸ˜€ the only time he doesnt bark at her coming in is if i go and answer the door, and i am not getting out of my nice walm bed at gone 10pm each night to let her in πŸ˜€ >:D

i used to be able to cue the hush just as she came in because i heard her walk up the path but hes cottoned onto that and now barks at anyone walking past in high heels πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ but if he misses the clip clopping up the path then he barks as she opens the door or just as she walks in the inner door πŸ˜€

lassie the neighbours dont mind juring the day its just when he does it late at night so i will try that with him tommorow as my friends got a day off ;D shes gonna love having to go up and down the stairs πŸ˜€

Anonymous

hi,

i expect he’s on “high alert” to protect his mummy from the baddies at night too – do you leave lights on – specific cues to stan that she is still to be expected home yet ?

and after she gets in do a bedtime routine take him round checking locking up etc and then its nighttime and he can bark if summats up ?

just a thought ?

and also – what she said … or he’ll move it on you know it πŸ™‚

claire x

Anonymous

so he already moved it on a fair bit – it’ll only get worse if its left, i know from painful experience lol !!

he definately needs the door de-sensitising as lassie said, and i would put in the bedtime cues and friend still to get home cues

claire x

*Lassie*

lassie the neighbours dont mind juring the day its just when he does it late at night so i will try that with him tommorow as my friends got a day off Grin shes gonna love having to go up and down the stairs

That why I said during the day πŸ˜‰
    Don’t let her in, keep it as it is at night she lets her self in. You read a book or something don’t watch himΒ  πŸ˜‰

when i go to bed before shes in i leave the landing light on, the lounge tv on and the inner door unlocked and opened.
    the night time routine when shes in or not coming back is shut and lock inner door, turn lounge tv off, say ‘bedtime’, turn lights off, turn tv in bedroom on, get into bed.

i do know it needs sorting, just not sure how

it’ll only get worse if its left, i know from painful experience lol
    can i ask what happened or should i not ask πŸ™‚

[quote author=*Lassie* link=topic=12170.msg234524#msg234524 date=1217870599]
    lassie the neighbours dont mind juring the day its just when he does it late at night so i will try that with him tommorow as my friends got a day off Grin shes gonna love having to go up and down the stairs

That why I said during the day πŸ˜‰
    Don’t let her in, keep it as it is at night she lets her self in. You read a book or something don’t watch himΒ  πŸ˜‰
    [/quote]

well he barks at her during the day aswell so that wont be a problem πŸ˜€

*Lassie*

well he barks at her during the day aswell so that wont be a problem

If you can stop him barking at her in the day time πŸ˜‰
    By the way let her reward him some of the time

ok just so i know what im doing ;D
    she goes out, few mins later she comes in, if he barks ignore (does she just come in and sit down or go back out again if he barks?) if he doesnt bark then she rewards

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime