Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

am I feeding my pup too much?

Home Archive Forums General Category Puppy talk am I feeding my pup too much?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    maureen

Hello,

I am new on here so here goes!!

I have a 14 and a half week old Golden Retrevior Pup, I feed her three times a day on a full child mug puppy food.
    Today she was sick, I think I maybe giving her too much food and think I should gjo down to half a mug till she is 6months old

what do you think?  she is on Royal Cain and has a breakfast, dinner and supper feed she is very active and growing well apart from this.

any advice please.

xtine

have a look in the ‘stickies’ section re feeding.. there are better dry foods out there for your pup  :yes: Burns and jameswellbeloved are good if you want dry. most of us on here feed natural / raw.. ask away if you have more questions…

Was pupster sick cause it ate too quick maybe?

Anonymous

Did you not get a diet sheet from the breeder?

travis

I used to feed Travis 4 mugs per day split into 4 meals at that age,so maybe she gulped her food down and thats why she was sick 🙂

It doesnt sound too much, though every dog is different. And sometimes they are just sick no reason they just do – or yep shes eaten to quick  🙂

vinya12

sounds like you are feeding the right amount . as long as your pup is not getting fat or to thin then you dont need to worry . pups take a long time to digest and sometimes eat to fast. as long as the sick is not after every meal and is only a something that happens from time to time , i would not worry . pups can make them self sick by playing to hard after food .

Anonymous

My breeder gave us a diet sheet saying “feed tinned dog food 4 times a day” and gave us half a bag of cheap kibble, then told us to try the BARF diet as it’s the best, haha.

Justine&Rafe

My boy went through a phase of being sick in the night/early morning  when he was about that age – he was fine in himself and, well, by the time I’d wake up there’d be nothing left but a wet patch on his vet bed.  (sorry!!  Was far too much effort to get up at 5am and clean up sick – and the time I tried he’d cleared it up himself before I got to it.)

Anyway, the being sick just stopped after a few weeks.  He was no worse for wear and as long as he isn’t showing any other side effects – listlessness/diarrhoea etc I wouldn’t panic unduly about it – take the advice from here on the board re feeding and see if that helps.  :happy:

[quote author=Gemsy link=topic=13156.msg253621#msg253621 date=1228214431]
    My breeder gave us a diet sheet saying “feed tinned dog food 4 times a day” and gave us half a bag of cheap kibble, then told us to try the BARF diet as it’s the best, haha.
    [/quote]

Could of been worse – could of suggested feeding all three together  😀

Justine&Rafe

Oooh, was also going to say… you know your pup the best!!  If she’s growing nicely, looking healthy and not getting either too fat or too thin you’re probably feeding the right amount. 
    I was given the third degree by a woman who claimed I was starving my puppy because he was always very leggy and gangly.  But she had labs and my boy is a flat-coat, which are shaped differently to labs, and boy did he grow quickly!

It’s scary (and hard enough work) having a puppy and feeling totally responsible for their welfare, so take advice, but don’t let anyone make you feel bad!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime