Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

No papers, no KC registration

Home Archive Forums Dogs Where can I find ……? No papers, no KC registration

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    latifah

Not sure whether any one has any advice. I have a nearly 20 month old doberman bitch born 30/05/07. My husband purchased Latifah Sept 07, He filled out all paperwork with the breeder at the time, although with no real intentions of breeding the breeder informed him that she would want to see the puppy when she was a year old to release breeding papers. Both my husband and i have only every had rescue dogs so with never dealed with getting a puppy so serverely naive. At 20 months we have NO papers at all. We visited the breeders house today to find that she was at work any only had one adult bitch. Later on she returned a call to my husband to inform him that she hadn’t released any papers as both sire and dam were vwd carriers and that she would only release papers if we got ours tested, which she informed my husband would cost him at least £75 and that it needs to be sent to america? If she is clear then we can have our papers plus kc registration which we paid for. Is this the norm? Surely she would have known that the sire and dam were carriers before breeding, unfortunatly I wasn’t there when my husband purchased pup, but she never mentioned the test results at time. Should have we been informed that our bitch would carry risk of having disease or is there no protection of this. Apparently breeder had been breeding dobes for over 20 years, although  I found this site by typing in her name of Dablea (her name) doberman to find some one with the same problem with the same breeder.

Izzie

You should have been informed of any problems in the line before purchase. I would say if VWD is in the line, get your pup tested so that you know if she is affected, a carrier or clear.

Val, Sue and a few others on here will bring more clarity to this for you though. 

Anonymous

If the sire & dam are carriers then they should not have been bred from together. Clear to carrier is ok, clear to clear is best.

TBH the breeder should have endorsed the KC registration with”Progeny not eligible for registration”

You should then have signed a contract in which you agree to have the dog/bitch tested for VWD & if the result is a clear/carrier then the endorsement would be removed

Really you should have researched the breed IMHO before buying a puppy & sought out a breeder who was endeavouring to reduce the incidence of VWD, by only breeding clear to clear ideally or clear to carrier, but never ever carrier to carrier. The dogs should also be hip scored

VWD is a life threatening condition & if it was my bitch that was a carrier I would not have bred from her at all & bought in another bitch who was from two clear parents.

You have a 25% chance of your bitch being VWD affected, a 25 & chance of her being clear &  a 50% chance of her being a carrier.

You can look up health tests results on the KC site

Also you could have looked up the health tests status here

She’s still breeding & has two litters of whippets & also breeds Dachshunds

Anonymous

If you call the Kennel Club they will send you a test kit for VWD, you send it back to them and they will send it away to you to a comapny called Finnzymes which is in Finland(I think)! but def not America,cant remember the exact cost in £ but it was 80 Euros & only took a couple of weeks, I would get that done for peace of mind  more than anything as parents are carriers, though being carriers doesnt mean that they have VWD  but it means they can produce affected puppies.

Your hubby may have signed a contract but surely you got a transfer of ownership form when you got her? if so you should be able to ask the KC for a copy of her pedigree, not sure what she is on about re ‘breeding papers’ not heard of that before. If you signed something to say you wouldnt breed her then that should be that.

Do you have a copy of what you signed?  Can you tell us what it says.

Hello & Welcome by they way, would be nice to see a piccie of your girl ;D

Thought I’d heard of the name before just found this….another member on this forum too!

from 2006

Farrokh still hasn’t got his pedigree papers only the KC registration paper (he is now 1yr old)
    His reg name is DABLEA COFFEE AND CREAM
    the sire is CHEVOLET’S JEWEL IN THE CROWN
    the dam was CHEVOLET BABY BELLE
    can anyone explain why the affix in front of his name is different to mum and dads, also mum was black and sis reckons dad was too while Farrokh is brown. Farrokh was 12 weeks old when she got him with a badly docked tail,the skin was cut too short so the end of it took ages to heal and is bald at the tip. his mum looked fit and well as if she had not just weaned pups
    Sorry to be a pain but what should Dobies be screened for health wise only as she has phoned the breeder for the pedigree and got nowhere and the problems with his tail I am not sure the breeder is as good as she said she is

mmmm ::)  was it Mrs Buckingham?

Sweetypye

If a dog is KC registered and you have the registration certificate, you just apply to the KC for the pedigree; there is a charge.

I agree with everything Dyane says; quite frankly nobody should be breeding from untested stock and Dobermanns require hip scoring as well.

You will not find a reputable breeder who will let their stud dog be used on yoru bitch and if you have no registration papers very few customers.

If you want a puppy why not get one from a reputable breeder that way you can avoid the expense and heartache breeding from your own bitch can cause?

Anonymous

Im pretty sure they are not wanting to breed Sweetypye they just want the papers they should have been given when they bought their pup.

and Latifah I found the same thread as you obv! 😉

Anonymous
    quote :

I would get that done for peace of mind  more than anything as parents are carriers, though being carriers doesnt mean that they have VWD it means they could develop it.

Are you saying that VWD carriers can develop VWD ? I thought the disease had an autosomal
    recessive mode of inheritance, meaning that two copies of the mutation are needed for a dog to have VWD

Anonymous

Yep your right sorry :-[ was reading while I was typing, didnt notice i’d done that ::) will edit

carrier x carrier can produce affected puppies though , they say around 25% of a litter, so best to get her checked out, just in case she needs to have an operation or has a cut at some point, if she is affected you can let your vet know 🙂

Anonymous

The dam was tested for VWD 9th August 2006 no hips and the sire was tested for nothing so either the KC site is wrong or this so called breeder is telling woppers
    Val

Anonymous

Dont know if its the same parents though Val… Chevolets  BB is Farrokhs dam

Anonymous

True  ;D but just looked it up while the anaesthetic wears of my mouth  :scared: :hurt:spent the morning in the dentist.
    Doesn’t sound good to be using untested dogs though and no hips scores  :what:
    Val

*Lassie*

Latifah do you know the names of the sire and dam?
    Did you get any paperwork at all?
    I would get her tested but I wouldn’t bother telling the breeder, you only need the papers if you are going to show or breed, you don’t need them to love your dog.

latifah

Thanks for everyones advice, as i say we only have hand written receipts, and breed information from the breeder, yes the same Mrs Buckingham as farrokh. My husband was told that every thing would be posted to him, unfortunatly he fell at the first hurdle of falling in love with the pup. With no intentions for breeding our girl, we just want to know that shes safe. Our vets have given us a quote to do the vwd test for about £100 with postage to a lab in devon . Latiah is currently has nothing to state that she is the pedigree we purchased, apparently according to the breeder nobody else from the litter has requested kc registation or predigree, although we have it stated on hand written signed receipt.On advice from the vet it is important that shes checked sooner rather than later, although she has already had a few accidents such as a cut paw pad which stopped bleeding pretty promptly and also a broken claw- we are very accident prone.
    We asked yesterday for the parents names, but the husband of the breeder didn’t know or was very vague, I feel that a breeder who must have been breeding dogs for quite a few years must have known the outcome of breeding these pups, and i imagine that Latifah’s siblings must be spread out around the area, we live in essex but the dogs are from suffolk.

latifah

This is the pup in question.

Attachments:

latifah

Then all grown up

Attachments:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime