Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

How to increase bond with me rather than other dog

Home Archive Forums Dogs Basic Dog Training How to increase bond with me rather than other dog

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    *jody*

I started with best intentions  ;D

Ill try to explain best I can but its always hard to get message across right in text, probably me over worrying about nothing but..

I have always walked Jake seperately to Dante, weve gone to puppy classes, we go to ringcraft every week, and I spend time with him on his own, but he favours Dantes company to mine, I know that sounds selfish, but what Im getting at is he is still constantly following Dante around, always cuddling up to him (which Dante usually moves away from) and is lost if Dante goes out without him.  A good example was OH took Dante round his brothers last week for about 5 hours.  Jake would not settle for the whole time, even if I tried to distract him, play with him etc, he was constantly pacing and squeeking even though I was still here.

I had recently read that you should reach a point when they can be around the other dog but still prefer to be with you, I guess thats the point, he wouldnt rather be with me.

Did I let him spend too much time with Dante as a pup?  I want to learn from this.  Im wondering if there is a way that I can strengthen the bond between me and Jake.  He is otherwise a good well adjusted dog.

I know someones going to say Im worrying about nothing  😀

*Lassie*

https://www.resources.dogclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=3153.0
    best place to be ;)may help.
    you have to be more exciting, silly voice, food rewards act daft – shelties love that ;D
    You have to be fun to be with as well as the manager.
    What about a mini agility course in the garden? weaves and low jumps, mini tunnel. Wouldn’t cost a lot kids play tunnel bamboo poles and flower pots.

*jody*

Hee hee Ive just been re-reading that one and the thread explaining levels of criteria.

When we are out its a funny one, he is still constantly sniff sniff sniff, and is aware of where I am, and I am always watching him, but he doesnt make a point of looking at me, just keeping me in the corner of his eye whilst he has his nose glued to the ground. 

Recall is very good.  I can call him away from anything, and his leave is also strong although other than these two command he is still always looking around and distracted.  I wanted to do some training in the fields earlier (which we have done before), got him to sit but he was looking everywhere but me, didnt feel like I had his attention…. maybe Ive just got boring  😀

I have been doing some mini-agility now he is approaching a year and the weather has been better.  Two chairs and a broom handle threaded through the bottom makes an excellent low jump  ;D

*Lassie*

weve gone to puppy classes, we go to ringcraft every week,

To Jake’s mind both of these are BORING, he does them because you want to.
    Try Clicker training some tricks and moves, play games like hide the treat or toy in the garden get him using his nose.
    Work on his other cues, shelties like to keep busy 😉

*jody*

At ringcraft its quite busy at the moment, so we do some trick training on the side so he doesnt think its all run in a circle and stand pretty, we also do some basic OB too in the second half, again so the dogs dont get too bored.

I have been doing some training at home, maybe need to up it a little  😉

Use his nose  😮  Thats all he does  😀

Cant wait to start agility properly, he’s so bouncy and quick I just have this feeling he would be really good at it.

*Lassie*

Most shelties love agility :yes:
    likes to use his nose? teach him scent ;D

*jody*

I wouldnt know where to start with scenting…

Compared to other dogs I have met, he has one good nose on him.

*Lassie*

[quote author=danhappy link=topic=14082.msg265639#msg265639 date=1239471875]
    I wouldnt know where to start with scenting…

Compared to other dogs I have met, he has one good nose on him.
    [/quote]

ALL shelties have good noses – so they can find any food dropped ::)
    Get a book on competitive obedience or ask at your dog club if anyone can help you train him 

.dodger.

isn’t it just that jake has separation anxiety with Dante not being there? :-\ – it’s sounds like my friends situation. One of her dogs can’t stand being apart from the other but the other one couldn’t care less if he’s around or not? Don’t know if that’s similar to Jake and Dante? ???

*jody*

Dante still has a seperation problem to us, it makes no difference if he was left on his own or a room of dogs he would still fret, I knew that after Amber and I videotaped them.  Its something we have learnt we will have to live with him.

I think where I went wrong is that I was so paranoid about creating another seperation problem with Jake to me, I didnt want to over-bond i.e. pander to his every whim, and I have probably inedvertably (sp) allowed him bond to Dante more…

However, Jake is fine when I take him out without Dante, always has been.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime