Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

TRaining for the obedience circuit

Home Archive Forums Dogs Advanced Dog Training TRaining for the obedience circuit

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Stumpywop

Hi All,

I’m new here so please accept my apologies if I’ve posted this in the wrong section. (I have yet to do an introductory post  :happy: )

I’ve just registered my 3 dogs (2 GSDs and 1 GSD/Akita) on the Activity Register. All 3 are registered for obedience but my older GSD is the one I really want to ork hard with first. My GSD/Akita bitch will pick things up easily by watching my older GSD. My youngest isn’t really old enough as he’s registered for agility too and at 6 months old I don’t want to overdo things with him.

So I’m looking to find an advanced training school particularly with an emphasis on advanced obedience for competition.

We’ve done all the basic obedience thigns and teaching basic commands is relatively simple. By thinking that this higher level of training is so much harder am I worrying wothout good reaosn? I have the time to spend training them every day. I don’t want them to get bored with it but st the same time I’d like to do it for long enough before entering anything so that people are impressed when they see my dogs.

So does anyone know of anywhere in the West Midlands for this lvel of training?

Laura xx

*Lassie*

This any good?
    http://www.bagsdbirminghamsouth.co.uk/index.htm
    if not go to http://www.obedienceuk.com/viewprofile.asp there you will find a list of clubs from all over the country 😉

Stumpywop

Yes very useful. Thank you.

Laura xx

Stumpywop

HI All,

Had a response from BAGSD in South Birmimgham. The trainer who puts my dogs (and me) through our paces on a Tuesday goes there so I’ll be speaking ot her this week. They’re looking for new members at the moment too so it sounds like an ideal time to join.

Laura xx

.dodger.

good luck with it and let us know how it goes 🙂 I’m just about to start schutzhund training with my shepherd so we’ll have the obedience training to do too 🙂

*Lassie*

[quote author=Stumpywop link=topic=14206.msg266811#msg266811 date=1241973589]
    HI All,

Had a response from BAGSD in South Birmimgham. The trainer who puts my dogs (and me) through our paces on a Tuesday goes there so I’ll be speaking ot her this week. They’re looking for new members at the moment too so it sounds like an ideal time to join.

Laura xx
    [/quote]

Good luck with that but remember it should be FUN for you and the dog/s

Stumpywop

Hi,

Thanks for that. I agree – if it’s not fun for the dogs there’s no point in doing it. it may be that Zane doesn’t enjoy it as much as I think he should in which case I’ll find something else he does enjoy. It may also be that either Ellie or Yiannis are better suited to it, but only time will tell.

Once it’s clear the dogs don’t enjoy something, I stop doing it. Yes it’s nice to show off and have people appreciate the work and effort put in, but it’s not the end of the world to me if we never really get anywhere with it. I’d love to of course because we have worked hard so far but I keep thinking about something my younger brother said to me (regardng playing clarinet in the school  band) when he was about 13: “When it’s a commitment I don’t want to do it anymore”.

So we’ll work hard at obedience (which I’m hoping Zane jsut thinks I’ve raised the bar a little bit) and hopefully it’ll work out welland I’ll meetr some of you on the main obedience circuit in time. If not, well at least we’ll have tried and at home he’ll be a well trained (obedient??  :embarrass:) dog.

Laura xx

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime