Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

American Bulldog

Home Archive Forums Dogs Dog Breeds American Bulldog

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    wee_shee

came across the breed on dogclub, i know its not a kc recognised breed but was wondering if anyone has had any experience with them? Are they good with kids for example?

Val

They would not be at the top of my list

[quote author=wee_shee link=topic=14944.msg273888#msg273888 date=1260248281]
    came across the breed on dogclub, i know its not a kc recognised breed but was wondering if anyone has had any experience with them? Are they good with kids for example?
    [/quote]

wee_shee

thanx Val, was curious as I met one in the park the other day, guy said they were great with kids etc in the same breath stating it was trained to biteĀ  šŸ˜®

Val

Thing to remember is they are not recognizedĀ  in the UK nobody in these times is going to import them they are not even on the KC import list.
    Quote from the UK site
    The American Bulldog is not for the inexperienced dog owner, they require plenty of mental and physical stimulation.
    More Quote
    American Bulldogs are descended from ancient Mastiffs that originated in Asia and were brought to Europe by nomads. Mastiffs were bred to bring down, fight or hold large aggressive prey such as wild boar, bears or big cats. Animals that are as likely to fight as run away. Ancient Mastiff had incredible fighting ability and courage.
    Most people are amazed at the sheer strength of these animals, pound for pound they must be amongst the strongest dogs on the planet when conditioned right. I am not saying this to hype the breed up, there are too many others who do this for a sales pitch, but merely to warn potential owners that this is not a breed to leave with your 90 year old frail granny whilst you have two weeks in Lanzarote. These dogs are capable hunters, used on very large quarry, who can overpower an average sized man if they need to. Owners need to be aware that the little puppy they bring home at 8 weeks old will by twelve months of age be about 75-80lb of muscle with, in most cases, a tendency to vie for top dog status. You need to train your dog from the start and be consistent to prevent issues arising.
    End quotes
    No exactly a dog to trust around kids.
    There was a guy that was a member of this board US based that had the breed and I am sure he would disagree with me but IMHO you have to go with what the breeders are saying on their own site.
    We have a lot of child friendly dogs here in the UK it’s just where you buy them from that is more important
    By the way list of health problems also from their AB site

CANINE HIP DYSPLASIA
    CRUCIATE LIGAMENT
    ELBOW DYSPLASIA
    ENTROPION
    ICHTHYOSIS
    NCL
    PATELLA LUXATION

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees ā€“ ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime