Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

need help with dog behaviour

Home Archive Forums Dogs Basic Dog Training need help with dog behaviour

• This topic has 8 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Val.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    mugatea
    Participant

Hi, I’m a dog walker and I have this dog which is 8 months old.  It’s a nice dog and is good off lead with a good recall.  But it’s when you put the lead back on to take it home that it has a behavioural problem.  It will bite (not hard) your arm and hand and jump all over you like a spoilt dog taking a tantrum.  Getting angry and telling it off will respond in his behaviour getting worse so I try to ignore it.  Not sure how to deal with it and especially don’t want to make it worse, so any advice?

Jamie

Izzie

during the walk, clip the lead on and wait a few seconds, the let the dog off, keep repeating and rewarding everytime the dog doesnt bite, by letting it off the lead.

I take it the owners are aware? they need to address this issue as well

mugatea
    Participant

Cheers Izzie,

That sounds like a good idea, will try that this Friday.

Jamie

Sweetypye

Two leads or rather a lead and another clip with a very short lead or toggle.

This is how I train owners to keep control over their dogs when it appears they have let their dog off the lead, to desensitise the dog to the sound of the lead being unhooked! 😉

Alternatively substitute the regular lead with a chain one……………

mugatea
    Participant

well, I didnt get the chance to try it last week but will try this week. 

Hi Sweetypye, he doesnt have a normal lead, he did have a gentle leader but is now using a ‘slip-on’ noose rope type lead.

mugatea
    Participant

He’s a very nice dog apart from that but something has to get done.  I’m walking him again tomorow.

Mudgie

Jamie how you reacting when all this stuff is going on?

As he is only 8 months he is mouthing I had this with nooch.  Needs ignored and if it is getting worse you need to speak to owners.  You should be safe when you are walking dog if he did that to someone else whilst you are responsible for him then your reputation as dog walker is on line.

mugatea
    Participant

I try ignoring him and then try telling him off.  Responding makes it worse.  The only thing I can think off is telling his owners to get a dog behaviorist, cause I don’t know what to advise.

Val

So young man this dog is breaking the law no matter how he is behaving.
    All dogs should be walked on a collar and lead with an id disk whick if he is walking on a slip means the owner and you are libel for a fine.
    So first lay it on the line with the owners  as he has no id, I have found the two leads works, so tell them, I know you earn a living dog walking but is this dog a good advert??
    Do you look like a mad man trying to control this dog?

My guess is it’s an out of hand age thing, bet it’s fed on crap food and that it’s going stir crazy between walks then goes mad when you take it out personally I would keep it on a lead X 2 and stop telling it off, both Bev and I must of said one hundred times plus on this board praise the good ignore the bad.
    The other thing you could try is two leads your brother and you walk with one lead each not to far apart but far enough that he cannot bite either of you
    If the owners do not want to help then I think you will have to loose this client as you can’t fix a dog on your own when it’s not living with you
    Val

[quote author=mugatea link=topic=15749.msg279222#msg279222 date=1299341148]
    well, I didnt get the chance to try it last week but will try this week.   

Hi Sweetypye, he doesnt have a normal lead, he did have a gentle leader but is now using a ‘slip-on’ noose rope type lead.
    [/quote]

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime