Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Advice please……I’m floundering.

Home Archive Forums Dogs Health Advice please……I’m floundering.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    parsonsmum

I’ll try and make this short……it’s concerning fleas and worms.
    3 dogs. I don’t regularly use flea and worm treatments, but they have garlic and Vals spray and I haven’t encountered any fleas for years.
    When a rescue dog, Betty, arrived last year she was in very poor condition and I treated all 3 dogs with Advocate on vets advice. 2 dogs were fine after it but Betty quickly became very ill with constant vomiting, and it resulted in a hefty vet bill to get her well again. I vowed then to never use Advocate again.

Doug has some sort of ‘seasonal allergy’ which results in itchy skin and bald patches where he chews himself. I usually manage to keep it at bay with a natural healing cream and Piriton. This year, it’s particularly bad so he’s had a steroid jab to help calm the skin……seems to be working.

I found a flea on Jack yesterday, haven’t found any on the other 2, but I obviously need to treat them all.
    I feel it might antagonise Dougs skin to use a ‘spot on’ treatment while he’s still itchy? :-\

I’m thinking Frontline for Jack and Betty and not treat Doug yet? And spray the house with Acclaim.

I know fleas can give them worms too so would Pancur be O.K. for the 3 of them?

To summarise….
    Not keen on using Advocate
    Jack can’t tolerate Drontal
    Doug too itchy for a ‘spot on ‘ treatment

Please can someone help me decide how to treat them?
    Thanks in advance.

Val

Hallo what breed is Betty?
    Anything collie should not be given Advocate it contains Ivermectin which collies can be sensitive too in some it can kill.
    So will start with Betty I would give her nothing for anything better safe than sorry keep up with my spray and the garlic if you find worms you can use the blue cheese recipe which is in things to be kept.
    I think Doug needs a few baths in sulfur soap it will help with his skin, I buy a bar and then grate it finely add some water give it a good shake and bath said dog.
    Dogs will sometimes carry a flea home, or they are already moving in for winter so what I do is get a bag of Bicarbonate of soda sprinkle it all over your carpets round all skirting boards leave for half an hour and hoover up Bicarb is wonderful stuff you could even add it to the rinseing water when you bath Doug also if he has any sore spots make the bicarb into a paste and cover the bites with it, you can also use it as a grooming powder it will help keep the bugs away and will also clean any grease off your dogs coat.
    I have never put chemicals in or on my dogs these are some of the things I use to keep them clean and healthy.
    Hope this helps any questions just mail in to the board again I look in every day so will pick up your mail within 24 hours Good Luck
    Val
    PS Your carpets will come up a treat with Bicarb :ok:

parsonsmum

Thanks for your advice Val. 🙂
    I’ve calmed down a bit now, tho’ I’ve found another flea on Jack today and 3 eggs.

Betty is a Schipperke…. ex-breeding bitch rescued from a puppy farm in Ireland. I was told she was 6 years old when I got her. She was in a very sorry state when she came to us but after a decent diet, care and love, she’s a different dog today.

It’s very difficult to check her for fleas as her coat is black and very dense. Doug and Jack are Parson Russell Terriers, so it’s relatively easy to see fleas in their white fur.

I already use a sulphur soap to bath Doug, and when he isn’t itchy I use an oatmeal shampoo. He only gets this itch for about a month this time of year every year since he was a pup.

I will be getting the bicarb tomorrow to do the house, and will use it on Doug as and when. He hasn’t actually broken the skin this time and the skin is looking a lot calmer now, so hopefully it’s on it’s way out again.

I’ve wormed them today with sunflower seeds and can’t see any evidence of worms in their faeces…….I would see something if they had worms?

What about Jack, who seems to be the only one at the moment with fleas evident? Should I use a spot-on treatment for him? :-\ I don’t see how I can rid him of fleas, now he’s got them, by using natural methods.

Thanks again Val…….I’m really hoping I can solve this without resorting to chemicals!

*Lassie*

I would bath Jack, drown  the little pests ;D
    Bicarb is good for accidents and stains as well as I am finding out, Willow is depressed and clingy and peeing when I go to bed at night so now I have to sleep on the sofa until her D.A.P. defuser arrives  :surrender:
    Will try the bicarb Val to brush in her coat – I take it you use it like a dry shampoo?

*Lassie*
    parsonsmum

Thanks for the link Lassie, I’ll definately read up about that product, the reviews look quite promising. 🙂
    I bathed the 3 of them a few days ago…….don’t bath them that often, only when absolutely necessary (fox poo!) But I’ll bath Jack again and give him a good ‘soak’ to kill the blighters.

Val

Yes Lassie just like a dry shampoo, it’s great on Roughs

[quote author=*Lassie* link=topic=16031.msg280642#msg280642 date=1315770762]
    I would bath Jack, drown  the little pests ;D
    Bicarb is good for accidents and stains as well as I am finding out, Willow is depressed and clingy and peeing when I go to bed at night so now I have to sleep on the sofa until her D.A.P. defuser arrives  :surrender:
    Will try the bicarb Val to brush in her coat – I take it you use it like a dry shampoo?
    [/quote]

*Lassie*

Thanks Val, she is still mourning Tam and if I leave her on her own with the cats at night she is peeing on her bed then I have to wash her down or she smells and the skin gets sore. The bicarb should help freshen her up.
    If I sleep on the sofa she lays beside me and we have a dry night. Just got a DAP  plug in hoping that will help her settle then I can start to retrain her.

Any other tips in helping her cope would be gratefully received :help:

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime