Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Help

Home Archive Forums Dogs Health Help

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    *Lassie*

Willow was hit very hard by the loss of Tam, my husband leaving then the death of Suki. She is eight years old and never been without another dog and my ex was sleeping downstairs for nearly a year before he left. She became depressed, wouldn’t leave her basket and became very clingy. She wouldn’t go out into the garden or play and peed in the house.
    I got my son to interact with her more while I was at work and treated her like a puppy with toilet training. Tried to keep everything light playing with her grooming her. I had to sleep on the sofa to settle her and then she stopped peeing in the house,it was anything to lift the depression.
    I got a DAP defuser plugged in by her bed. She is taken out at regular times to toilet.
    This all seemed to be working, I bathed her and she seemed more settled in herself and happier with life.
    After a week of her being brighter and completely dry day and night I tried to sleep upstairs in my bed for part of the night instead of on the sofa.
    We are now back to square one, a wet and anxious dog waiting at the bottom of the stairs for me. I would let her sleep in my room but she refuses to go upstairs. Can’t get another dog for company as my ex has moved in with the woman of his dreams and I have to live on what I earn which has to pay the mortgage and all the other bills.
    I love her to bits but I can’t spend the rest of her life sleeping on the sofa, the vet may be able to give her some drugs to help but she HATES vets so don’t want to upset her more and I don’t want her drugged up either.
    If anyone has any ideas? I don’t know what to do anymore.

Izzie

Poor girl, the pair of you have been through so much together.

Have you tried valarian or rescue remedy with her?

*Lassie*

[quote author=Izzie link=topic=16051.msg280755#msg280755 date=1318066968]
    Poor girl, the pair of you have been through so much together.

Have you tried valarian or rescue remedy with her?
    [/quote]

No I haven’t, which is the best one to try and best place to get it from?

Izzie

I get my rescue remedy from the supermarket.

Valarian I get either from Holland and Barretts or if I want skullcap I get dorwest herbs or go online for it x

*Lassie*

Thanks, will try dorwest

Val

Can she not go up to your bedroom with you

*Lassie*

[quote author=Val link=topic=16051.msg280760#msg280760 date=1318197279]
    Can she not go up to your bedroom with you
    [/quote]

Would love her to but she don’t do stairs, tried but the only way would be to carry her :embarrass: Wasn’t a problem while Tam was here but a major problem now.
    Am going to try to get her to go up stairs under her own steam but it may take some time

*Lassie*

Got her up the first two stairs today ;D
    Only eleven more stairs to go :ok:

Val

Onwards and upwards Ha Ha

[quote author=*Lassie* link=topic=16051.msg280762#msg280762 date=1318453856]
    [/quote]

*Lassie*

[quote author=Val link=topic=16051.msg280763#msg280763 date=1318521299]
    Onwards and upwards Ha Ha

[quote author=*Lassie* link=topic=16051.msg280762#msg280762 date=1318453856]
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

Got to take it slowly because A she is a ratbag
    and B I had an accident last week and have a infected injury to my leg. They take the dressing off tomorrow :scared:

*jody*

Aww so sorry to hear that the loss of Tam has hit Willow so hard too  :'(

Not got too much advice but I know the feeling with the stairs, Whisper point blank refuses to go up them, but we have managed to get Jem over the fear, lots of really yummy irrisistable treats dotted on each step, and a few at a time.  Of course being a pup she isnt allowed to race up and down them but she isnt as worried as Whisper who I have to carry.

Could you son help carry her up at night?

Again really sorry things arent easy for you at the moment ((hugs))

*Lassie*

[quote author=*jody* link=topic=16051.msg280783#msg280783 date=1319463445]
    Aww so sorry to hear that the loss of Tam has hit Willow so hard too  :'(

Not got too much advice but I know the feeling with the stairs, Whisper point blank refuses to go up them, but we have managed to get Jem over the fear, lots of really yummy irrisistable treats dotted on each step, and a few at a time.  Of course being a pup she isnt allowed to race up and down them but she isnt as worried as Whisper who I have to carry.

Could you son help carry her up at night?

Again really sorry things arent easy for you at the moment ((hugs))
    [/quote]
    She wouldn’t let him carry her but she would let me but I have a very sore leg as my foot and leg went down a drain so the shin bone looks like it’s been shaved with a cheese grater. She won’t go up for any treats or even a fresh juicy bone :nono:
    We will get there in the end,just take time and patient and more patient.

Diesel73

Have u tried dogtreats on each of the stairs and holding her backlegs trying to make her go up? That’s how i got Wodan to walk back up the stairs again after he dreaded the stairs so bad after his stroke. I didn’t have to carry all of his weight, and it made him confidant enough to walk with his front legs up. Backlegs followed again when he dared more and more again. I did that also when he was to weak to get up the stairs all by himself too when he had bad days.

Diesel73

By the way… The peeing inside thing… Diesel did that too for a long while after i lost my Wodan  :'( .

*Lassie*

[quote author=Diesel73 link=topic=16051.msg280786#msg280786 date=1319548400]
    By the way… The peeing inside thing… Diesel did that too for a long while after i lost my Wodan  :'( .
    [/quote]

Thanks Diesel that makes me feel better :-*
    Will try holding her back legs with liver on all the stairs, when my leg is better :yes:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime