Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

teaching a dog not to be possesive

Home Archive Forums Dogs Advanced Dog Training teaching a dog not to be possesive

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    mugatea
    Participant

Hi, I walk a dog that is incredibly possesive and jealous.  He gets jealous/possesive and confrontational/nippy when another dog has a ball it wants, when a dog is getting towel dried, when a dog rubs its back on the ground etc.

If I was to do an exercise with this dog such as ‘mine/yours’ how would I incorporate this for other dogs so he would learn that sharing is ok?

would much appreciate this…

Jamie

Sweetypye

I think you need to be a bit more specific.

Resource guarding is hard wired into dogs, that is how they survive. How it is expressed and with what intensity will vary between breeds and individuals within that breed as it is generally genetic.

There is also a difference between behaviour between dogs and humans and dogs and dogs.

Dogs do not do sharing.

Also, you do not mention what breed this dog is, as that is also a factor, many breeds like to control or manage other dogs.

So before recommending a course of action it is vital to understand the context of the behaviour as well as the individual dog.

mugatea
    Participant

Thanks for your reply!

It’s a 2 year old westie, that gets very jealous.  For example if another dog goes to greet his owner it is not happy and will nip the dog and get kinda aggressive but he does generally get on great with other dogs and will happily play with them, unless the dog has a ball the he wants then he will bark and yelp in the dogs face and nip occasionally too, the same behaviour if dog has stick or even if a dog has found a spot to rub its back.

So walking this westie is a real pain especially as one of the dogs is an english bull terrier who loves sticks and rubbing his back and the westie keeps barking at it, watching to see what it has and occasionally nipping the bullie.  The bullie is super tolerant of the westies behaviour and just ignores it but he could seriously wreck it if he got fed up.

enough info?

Tilly Baker
    Participant

Hello, this is something I see a lot of. Not particularly westies as it happens. It takes a lot of work but is definitely reversible. The owner would have to be involved too ideally. Fawndog121dogtraining.co.uk is where you’ll find lots of information about calming signals and body language.

Forhad
    Participant

Can I tech my dog easily?

Tilly Baker
    Participant

This is best done with a behaviourist to be honest, this way your dog will be assessed and then the right program will be given for your dog specifically.
    Fawndog121dogtraining.co.uk

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime