Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Dogs and the law … ©

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Hi,

I am going to pick through the DDA and include the most relevant parts here.

I will also put together some info on rescue adoption agreements and dogs as part of a divorce / family split.

Maybe someone else could help with hunting/coarsing/shooting with dogs and the law and any other legal bits.

Give me a couple of days – I will get there 🙂

Claire 🙂  ©

Anonymous

Lovely  :-*
    Bev I think we have a secretary good ain’t it
    Val

[quote author=piglet link=topic=3148.msg36326#msg36326 date=1146772938]
    Hi,

I am going to pick through the DDA and include the most relevant parts here.

I will also put together some info on rescue adoption agreements and dogs as part of a divorce / family split.

Maybe someone else could help with hunting/coarsing/shooting with dogs and the law and any other legal bits.

Give me a couple of days – I will get there 🙂

Claire 🙂   ©
    [/quote]

Anonymous

Dangerous Dogs Act (1991) c. 65

The following information is taken from Dangerous Dogs Act 1991) and is © Crown Copyright 1991.  Under this copyright, if you replicate any part of the act you must do so accurately.  To make sure this is upheld and to make the sections you wish to find out more about more easily identifyable the following are comments in my own words which will be my own personal opinion and interpretation of the act.  The actual act will be available by clicking the links at the top of each section.  I will be refering to the Dangerous Dogs Act (1991) c. 65 hereafter as “DDA”.

The DDA has the following sections :

1.  Dogs bred for fighting.
    2.  Other specially dangerous dogs.
    3.  Keeping dogs under proper control.
    4.  Destruction and disqualification orders.
    5.  Seizure, entry of premises and evidence.
    6.  Dogs owned by young persons.
    7.  Muzzling and leads.
    8.  Power to make corresponding provision for Northern Ireland.
    9.  Expenses.
    10.  Short title, interpretation, commencement and extent.

SECTION 1.
    http://www.opsi.gov.uk/ACTS/acts1991/Ukpga_19910065_en_2.htm#mdiv1

This section covers dogs bred for fighting. 
    (1-1) You will notice it lists pit bull terrier and japanese tosa using the phrase “of type” and also includes dogs which it is felt have been bred for fighting or have characteristics of a fighting dog. 

(1-2) These specific breeds and dogs of type have several restrictions covering breeding, xfer of ownership, use of muzzle and abandonment.

(1-3) No-one can have these dogs in their possesion unless they are seizing, or destroying them under the act.

(1-7) Tarrifs and exemptions are listed here.

SECTION 2.
    http://www.opsi.gov.uk/ACTS/acts1991/Ukpga_19910065_en_2.htm#mdiv2

This section covers other especially dangerous dogs.
    (2 -1) If a dog not in section 1 presents serious danger to the public, section 1 (1-2 parts d and e) may be imposed dogs of that type (muzzle and abandonment)

(2-3) Tarrifs here.

(2-4) Who they consult with for information to bring a case.

SECTION 3. *this is the one i am always harping on about ;)*
    http://www.opsi.gov.uk/ACTS/acts1991/Ukpga_19910065_en_2.htm#mdiv3

Keeping dogs under proper control.
    (3-1) …

Anonymous

ohhh go on then claire what do you want to know about hunting and shooting etc

Anonymous

hi,

well i was hoping this section would grow into dogs and the law.  i know a fair bit about the dda but i understand there are also laws about hunting with dogs but i know nothing about them 🙂  anything to do with legal stuff relating to dogs is welcome here 🙂

claire 🙂

jxm28788

A seemingly obvious legal question would be about dog licences – where do I get one? how much does it cost?  can’t seem to find an answer elsewhere on the board, but it may just be buried in all the irrelevent search results… 😉

kizkiznobite

dog lic. ??? what country are you in?

Anonymous

ok will try to put brain into action

jxm28788
    quote :

dog lic.  what country are you in?

UK – where are you?  Don’t we have dog licences any more? that could explain why I couldn’t find anything… 🙂

jxm28788

hmmmm… just been googling and some sites say dog licences were abolished in the 80’s, while others (mostly local council sites) say they are mandatory…  ???

kizkiznobite

me uk too ;D dog lic where abolished in this country in the ’80s 1984 i think – most folk didnt bother, hard to police and the system was costing more to run then it received – the are required in ireland however whichis why i asked where you lived ;D

Anonymous

[quote author=kizkiznobite link=topic=3148.msg40925#msg40925 date=1148447191]
    me uk too ;D dog lic where abolished in this country in the ’80s 1984 i think – most folk didnt bother, hard to police and the system was costing more to run then it received – the are required in ireland however whichis why i asked where you lived ;D
    [/quote]

im sure it was a few years later than that

because i can remember having one for Lucy and Patch (dogs we had when i was little)
    in 1984 i would have been 4 and we didnt have them then – Lucy about 85, and Patch about 86 – but i may be totally wrong

Anonymous

OK here is my contribution

What is the Hunting Act?

The Hunting Act 2004 bans the hunting with dogs of all wild mammals, and all hare coursing. Its intention is to end a practice that many people feel causes unnecessary suffering to animals. There are some tightly drawn exemptions to the Act, which allow hunting activities to take place in limited circumstances and with the consent of the occupier or owner of the land, such as:

ratting and rabbiting;
    stalking and flushing out with up to two dogs; and
    using a single dog under ground to flush out wild mammals, such as foxes, in order to protect birds kept for shooting.

A person found guilty of an offence under the Act faces a fine of up to £5,000, and could have their dogs, vehicles or articles used in hunting confiscated. Although this legislation has been contentious while it was being debated, and the Parliament Acts applied to bring the Act into law against the wishes of the House of Lords, the Government is satisfied that it meets human rights requirements, and that it is valid and enforceable.

What is Hunting?
    The Act makes clear that hunting with dogs includes engaging alone or participating with others in the pursuit of a wild mammal where a dog is used in that pursuit. Hunting should be understood in its ordinary English meaning, which includes searching for wild mammals, chasing them, or pursuing them with the intention of catching or killing them. Hunting is an intentional activity and there can be no such thing as unintentional hunting. Thus, if a dog runs off after a squirrel in the park, the person accompanying the dog would not be guilty of unlawful hunting (unless he or she then used the dog to hunt the squirrel). Equally, if dogs being used in drag-hunting were to run off after a fox, the drag-hunters would not be guilty of unlawful hunting (unless they then used the dogs to hunt the fox). This is unlikely to be a problem for genuine drag hunters, while pretence would be easy to detect. Suggestions that anyone is obliged to shoot any wild mammal that their dog accidentally flushes out are also entirely untrue.

From Defra

please feel free to ask questions – i can awnser about fox hunting packs, courseing and ferreting BUT im not to up on terrier stuff or falconry

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2004/20040037.htm – here is a full thingi on the hunting act 2004
    http://www.defra.gov.uk/rural/hunting/summary.htm – this is perhaps easier to understand

here are some of my thoughts

– not being able to take 3 dogs ferreting is a bit silly – i have 2 who are very usefull and good – so i cant take my lurcher puppy – how is she going to learn ?

– if i am walking on the fells – my terrier disturbs a hare – my lurcher and my collie chase after it I am classed  coursing – OR am unintentially hunting ??????

– as far as i am aware there has been no fox hound distroyed because of the act – there has been one hunt which has dispanded (may be more now) they are all managing to opperate WITHIN the law

wrighty85

Hi everyone,
    First post here so please be gentle with me !!!!.
    I have been told that I am not allowed to walk my puppy off his lead on the canal.
    Is this correct ? I see loads of people walking their dogs on and off the lead, not seen any signs apart from picking up dog poo, I’m confused can anyone help me ?
    Thanks in advance
    Lynn x

maybe a local by-law our town just introduced a law that states you can’t walk a dog off lead within a certian distance of a public road…or a kiddies park.  you may find the info you need on your local council website 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime