Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

natural/homecooked diet – including the now famous porridge …..

Home Archive Forums Sticky subjects Those questions that keep on getting asked natural/homecooked diet – including the now famous porridge …..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 179 total)
  • Author
    kizkiznobite

…that has been fed to generations of generations family dogs:

Starting Pups or Crossover Dogs on a Natural Diet:

If the puppy has not been fed natural by the breeder then you need to introduce a change of diet gradually – increasing the raw/homecooked gradually – in the meantime here are the home cooked recipes that I use for rescues coming in that I want to change and for getting pups going as weaning commences.

Raw Stuff: (yes even the chicken)

Chicken necks are excellent – very small bones will teach the ‘chew’ which they all need to learn. Most ‘barf’ suppliers do necks.

Chicken Wings – again very good for teaching the chewing technique and good for getting weight on because of the fat content.

Duck – any part of the duck is good, excellent for putting on weight but pricey if you don’t shoot – if you have a local shoot, they usually have some for sale.

Raw/ground minced lamb, chicken or pork – usually mixed with rice or pasta plus grated carrots or a processed raw veggie mix and some wholemeal mixer.

Fish – whole heads and all – oily fish is best, herring, mackerel, sardines, pilchards. Don’t worry about the bones – the dog can cope with them but no smoked fish.

Cooked Meals:

Meat Porridge

I boil a large chicken or a lamb breast/neck in plain water with some olive/veggie oil added until it is well cooked (as the pup gets older/or the older dog more accustomed,  I cook it less and less until it is virtually raw then feed it raw) and falling off the bone – drain and cool but add to the stock (having first checked there are no bones in it) a kilo of good quality pasta or rice, throw in the potato/veggie peeling and trimmings from your own dinner (no onion family) – if no veggies that day (you been to MacDonald’s ha-ha) then add either barley, lentils or oats or a combination and cook all out. Pick down the chicken/lamb and combine the lot – feed in portions with wholemeal mixer added.

Offal – good if you are not meat sensitive

Liver, lites, hearts, tripe, kidney, brains, tongue etc all good – especially for the next stage feeding as the pup gets older or the older dog adjusts.

Cut into pieces and very lightly boil in plain water with some oats/lentils etc – but feed the veggies raw – either processed down slightly or grated.

I get pig and sheep heads from my butcher which are very cheap, I boil this until cooked then strip everything out and off (many find this too yucky) the skin gets slow roasted until crispy for chews everything except the bone and teeth is cut up put back into the boiling water and used as above.

Pate for Kongs and Liver Cake for Rewards:

Pate:
    1kg liver, 2 kg belly pork – cook very lightly in oil so still bloody in the middle – process to a very smooth gunk – put in a loaf tin – stand in a tray of water and bake until just firm – if, when it is cold it is too firm, then make it into a paste with some margarine or oil or cream cheese.

Liver Cake:
    1kg liver, 2 mugs of semolina or rice flour or potato flour, 2 eggs. Blast in the processor and bake in a tray until really firm and dry – when cool cut into tiny squares.

Liver strips
    Wash the blood off the liver for this – lay out on a tray and dry out in a very low oven until it completely dry – cut into very thin strips.

Extra special bingo treats:
    Belly pork and pigs trotters – dried the same way.

Bone:
    Any raw meaty bone is good for the dog – I do not feed beef at all but many do.
    There are 2 types – the easy to crunch – for feeding as a meal, ribs, neck, shoulder etc and the big knuckle type, filled with good marrow. which cleans the teeth whilst the dog is getting the marrow out.  On a bone only day – for dogs 6 months and upwards – they need a combination of both – as a guide a 40k dog will need the equivalent of 2 large lamb breasts and 2 shin/knuckle bones – usually given early lunchtime if you feed twice daily then reduce this by a third and give lighter meal of 2nd class protein, fish or minced raw chicken/lamb with wholemeal, or pasta or rice – with fruit/veggies later.
    To get the pup used to this quantity of bone then introduce a bone a day as one of the daily meals – start off with chicken necks and chicken wings and build it up.

And last but not least ……
    Bones are a high resource to the dog – make sure you work at the training of taking the bone off him and giving it back etc. – especially if you have young children in the house.  Also teach the children they mustn’t disturb rover whilst he is eating his bones – after all they wouldn’t be happy if rover tried to nick their chocolate bar!
    Any questions – you know where to find me!

Produced by Bev
    Canine Behaviourist and Trainer
    kizkiznobite@aol.com

kizkiznobite

the reason i do not have portion sizes on the info is because you should……….

1) really have researched your breed – especially by the time you come to need recipes

2) if you have not then it might encourage you to do so

3) having done so you should be able to adjust that info in to what is applicable for your own dog allowing for exercise routines etc

Anonymous

we go through lots of bunnys too

dont forget bunnys

Anonymous

So do we we like bunnies here

[quote author=waggi link=topic=3650.msg47679#msg47679 date=1150321371]
    we go through lots of bunnys too

dont forget bunnys
    [/quote]

Anonymous

uhhh ive never added barley before or lentils mmmmmmmm now theres a thought

wierd really as im a proper traditionalist when it comes to horse feeds ive made tons of bran mashes as a groom

kizkiznobite

oh yeah – it used to have bunnies on it – then i sent it to a client and the kids saw it – they had a pet rabbit each and all hell broke out so i deleted it off  ;D ;D

but bunnies are yummy too – the fur is a bit of a b….r when it only half comes out the other end though ::)

Anonymous

whats more disturbing is you have measurements for your liver cake – whats wrong with chucking it all in and hoping for the best ?

and never ever do it in a microwave because if it explodes its NOT FUNNY

kizkiznobite

waggi – i live with a chef……we dont chuck in in our kitchen ::) 😀 😀 she has 4 sets of scales for gods sake and so many measuring cups, jugs, beakers, spoons, ladles – you should see the smallest ladle – about as big as a finger nail ;D

Anonymous

the problem is with all that stuff

CLEANING IT

something me is not prepared to do !

very minimal is my kitchen

kizkiznobite

oh i dont do cleaning – not allowed ;D apparently i am useless at it ;D

Anonymous

Kiz – been looking at the recipie for the chicken porrige am going to attempt to cook some for Honey – but i dont give her pasta or rice – so would it be ok just to cook plenty of veggies with it instead – and is it ok to freeze it?

Anonymous

How about trying oats mine all like oats especially with goats milk  ;D

[quote author=Joly link=topic=3650.msg101658#msg101658 date=1165176928]
    Kiz – been looking at the recipie for the chicken porrige am going to attempt to cook some for Honey – but i dont give her pasta or rice – so would it be ok just to cook plenty of veggies with it instead – and is it ok to freeze it?
    [/quote]

Anonymous

Ok – can i just give her some on their own to see if they make her itch? Sorry im now totally paranoid about giving her anything new – would want to wait till shes stopped itching first wouldnt i?

Shed probably eat it shes not overly fussy  😛  ;D

Anonymous

Oh yes test it first  ;D can’t have a Diva looking a mess

kizkiznobite

is she ok with poatoes? how about some potato flour? polatta (sp)  ::)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 179 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime