Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

so you have a new puppy…..and

Home Archive Forums Sticky subjects Those questions that keep on getting asked so you have a new puppy…..and

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    kizkiznobite

yes they are cute, they fluffy and playful and nice to fuss and pick up and play with blah blah and yes all that needs to go on but… they also need to be taught the basics and their manners so they learn their place in the pack pdq – if they stay in the breed pack they have no choice – all we do is substitute one pack for another – training and management needs to start on day one – it doesnt have to be tough or nasty or hard – just fun learning – this would then reduce the need for naughty corners ignoring – NO – and punishment of any kind

they need to learn their manners and who the pack manager is and what the boundries are and what happens when s/he ‘tests’ them – all puppy stuff is until 16 – 20 weeks is behavioural conditioning – his mum would have sorted this – so now you have to be that mum – thats all – but s/he needs to learn it all now before 16 weeks when they start to learn choice

the rules are

a flexible manager is a good manager – this means sometimes we do and sometimes we dont – sometimes we make a fuss when we come in sometimes not we ignore – sometimes we decide to play sometimes not they have to amuse themselves – by doing this then his/her attention will be on you – s/he will be ready to cue and s/he wont demand the memememe stuff

next rule is cue consistency
    if the cue for come is come then it is always come – not come here – archie come – come archie and all the pack must stick to this – so decide the cues – write them down and stick to them

next rule is
    silly voice time – the puppy time – if you change your voice this way s/he will learn that – ok yipeeee it’s now play time i am off cue

ok?

am i making sense?

i have had a ‘naughty puppy week’ none of which is any of the puppies fault

manage and reward
    train and reward
    ignore the bad reward the good
    teach manners
    and look at the best place to be and criteria training in this sticky section ;D

Anonymous

looking forward to getting a puppy some day again perhaps maybe never at this rate

*Nat*

Wasn’t that long a wait really was it!!!!  ;D 😉

Anonymous

OK i wanted to plan my puppy

i wanted to go see it every week till i could have it

i wanted to get exited about it being born

NOOOOOOOOOoooo 

it never works like that  ;D

*Nat*

Hehe, he’s lovely though!  🙂

labattsbaby

Kiz, now this pup is nearly 17 weeks, does this mean the behavior he is displaying now will not be correctable? He turns exactly 4 calendar months on August 29 :-\. I am reading stuff on this board that quite frankly is freaking me out now. I wished I had come back here earlier and not waited so long :'(

kizkiznobite

yes it is correctable – but within limits – read the stuff i sent you on conditioning

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime