Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Alaskan Malamute

Home Archive Forums Dogs Dog Breeds Alaskan Malamute

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    wee_shee

Usual questions,

who has one

how many – male/female

why

The Malamute is a descendant of dogs of the Mahlemut tribe of upper western Alaska. These dogs stood prominently on equal footing with their human companions – working, hunting, and living alongside them. The interdependent relationship between Mahlemut and their dogs fostered prosperity among both and enabled them to flourish in the inhospitable land above the Arctic Circle.

A Malamute is, as a strong rule, extremely gentle with people, and very loyal to every member of its
    human family, especially after it’s reached adulthood and settled down.  Its relationship with its owner and its ‘family’ is deeply personal and devoted.The Malamute is one of the most “unaltered” of breeds, retaining its original form and function. Responsible breeders will want to preserve this heritage of the Malamute’s working abilities. They are widely regarded as handsome, affectionate toward humans, particularly loyal to their family, very intelligent, extremely resourceful, and exceptionally hardworking. Their affectionate nature DOES NOT make them useful as watch or guard dogs. Their breeding was for an entirely different purpose, and expecting a Malamute to become a good guard dog goes against thousands of years of breeding. It would be like expecting a Lhasa Apso to pull a heavy sled   😉 An owner that can’t cope with a dog that won’t comply to an owners every wish and command, no matter how beautiful, magnificent, or noble the dog looks, then another breed should be considered. This independence of thought extends from its ability to survive and care for its driver in wilderness conditions, and living in modern cities for a tiny fraction of its genetic history should never tame this quality -and it hasn’t.
    A Malamute is generally a quiet dog and seldom barks like other dog breeds. When it does vocalize, more often than not they tend to “talk” by vocalizing a “woo woo” sound.
    This dog also needs a great deal of exercise to be happy. Any sled dog is never happier than when pulling a sled. This is as true of a Malamute as any other Sled dog. Although gentle, this doesn’t normally extend to members of the breed that are the same sex and although Malamutes don’t go looking for trouble, neither will they back away from a challenge!

http://www.worldmals.co.uk      some nice pictures on colour, markings etc

http://www.icebaymals.co.uk    the humour page had me on the floor  😀

sukasud

Hi , i have siberian huskies , so very close to mals

Anonymous

saw they won the working groups yesterday 🙂

Anonymous

On way to Crufts yesterday was a Malamute in the car in front of us – kept falling over in the boot  :-\

wee_shee

It was a beautiful boy that was in crufts. I beleive he comes from the same Italian kennel that produced 3x world champ Royal Star Del Bagio, so they know what they’re doing  🙂

kizkiznobite

he is huge  🙂

Anonymous

i thought the woman showing him looked a complete prat

she should really have been handling the malteese

the dress just didnt go with the mal at all

wee_shee

I’m a 5ft 2″ skinny blonde, so you’d hate to see me show a mal lol 😀

Glad in a way he didn’t win tho, less chance of “Oooh look at the pretty doggy, we’ll get one of those”  ::)

Anonymous

[quote author=wee_shee link=topic=7208.msg129663#msg129663 date=1173692622]
    I’m a 5ft 2″ skinny blonde, so you’d hate to see me show a mal lol 😀

Glad in a way he didn’t win tho, less chance of “Oooh look at the pretty doggy, we’ll get one of those”  ::)
    [/quote]

it wasnt that

my friend is tiner than you and she has 14 + huskeys

it was more what she was wearing

floaty white dress
    BIG
    dog

just looked daft

actually i was really shocked by what people were wearing and NOT looking smart in the breed rings

kizkiznobite

the woman with the bloodhound did her dog no favours 🙂 liked the red with the flatcoat though  🙂

Anonymous

[quote author=kizkiznobite link=topic=7208.msg129670#msg129670 date=1173694027]
    the woman with the bloodhound did her dog no favours 🙂 liked the red with the flatcoat though  🙂
    [/quote]

agree about bloodhound woman – her shirt clashed with her trousers, so she looked quite scruffy..

We were quite liking the bloodhound tho… and the name….

I’ve always found that owner/breeder/handlers seem to be the worst dressed whereas the professional handlers are the better turned out.

Anonymous

there was a guy showing his BC in scruffy jeans and t shirt

he looked rather scruffy

I dont know if anyone else noticed the GSD in the group judging either – if my dog behaved like that in a line for an agility show i would be embaresed let along the group judging at crufts 

Oooohh Me Me  ;D ;D

We’ve got Malamutes, currently own 5. Tikaani, her daughters Faona and Tasha, my import boy Vagabond and our new addition, 12 week old Jinx!!

Anonymous

oh hes lovely  :-*

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 80 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime