Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Re: Bad relationship

Home Archive Forums Dogs Dogs Bad relationship Re: Bad relationship

Dree

[quote author=cjane link=topic=12456.msg241260#msg241260 date=1221734556]

Izzie – I think Dree’s instant down is meant for emergency situations. If the situation can be avoided by just recalling him, or the other dog is known not to be a problem, or if it was a false alarm, then putting on lead may not be necessary.  The idea (I think) is to get him to stop in his tracks and pay attention to you, difficult for a dog in flight but obviously achievable.

Dree – I’ve started practicing an instant down, just on the long line or lead and when I have his attention.  Also tried a couple running/playing in the field ie on the move.  He’s a bit slow to react but we’ll work on it.
[/quote]

You’re spot on, CJ.  🙂  See my post to Izzie re: the instant down.  How are you teaching the instant down?  Remember that if he does a slow one, or is slow to react (presuming he understands the command perfectly in all circumstances) then with-hold the reward.  Or just give him a pat on the head, and say “Good try, son, but not good enough.  Try again.”  When you get a half-decent response, then go ballistic with whatever reward you are using. 

Just very quickly…the way I taught it.  The dog knew the down command at home, and in the garden.  (And would drop quickly.)  So, in training outside, I trained with no dogs around.  (I was fortunate in having a park where there were no dogs.)  You *cannot* do it with other dogs around….the dog simply cannot cope.  Okay…..have a ball in your hand, and have the dog follow your hand.  (Teach that first….if your dog has not been taught “Follow the hand” then teach that first.  Show them the ball in your hand, and have him follow the hand for two steps.  Throw the ball.  Build up until you can hold your hand out wide, and the dog follows for a large right hand circle.  Once the Follow is strong, go on to the Down.)  On the circle, give the Down command.  If dog drops, throw the ball.  If they don’t….no good, try again.  Physically stop and play with the ball yourself…..throw it up and down in your hand…..hype him up a bit.  There’s no pressure on the dog to go down.  But when they do…..ballistic with ball!!!  ;D)  The dog soon realises that you are in control of the situation, simply because you are in control of the reward…and the only way to get the reward is to do the down.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime