Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Re: Bad relationship

Home Archive Forums Dogs Dogs Bad relationship Re: Bad relationship

Dree

[quote author=kizkiznobite link=topic=12456.msg241304#msg241304 date=1221751367]
no it isnt…a down is a down a stop is a stop… a down then a stop is the start of a series ..it 2 behaviours…and it risky…stop means just stop just stop because i am going to tell you to do something else in 2 secs 2 mins 2 hours…a down is a down and yep i might tell you to do x in a min or y in amin but while you in that down you MAY be at risk but…if you at risk i have cued you so…as you are highly cued and wont break that cue you are exposed…and that means a risk of losing trust…sorry..we just not on the same wavelength are we…

A stop is a stop….in order to get the dog out of danger, you will have to re-command it to do something else…..whether from a stand, a sit or a down.  A dog is as capable of moving out of a down back to you if necessary, as it is from a stand.  (No, we’re not on the same wavelength because you are insisting that a natural behaviour from a dog….the down….is two behaviours.  We could argue that a down is stop and down and therefore two behaviours, or that it’s one in that it’s a quick response to a command.  Quite honestly, I don’t give two hoots if it’s two behaviours or one…so long as it sodding works.)

i work with aggressive dogs…i work with my dogs in this…i have to be able to have the 100% trust that that needs…i have to be able to do a stand off…a stand off that is sustained even though i am at risk and their natural desire is to help …in returen they have to trust me that if i stand them off or send them behind after a stop then i can trust them…ok it extreme at times …i know that but…with clients…if they get these basics on cue fluent and reliable witout hesitation  then they got it made..

so…what would you do IF it was going to put a dog at risk
[/quote]

A stop is a stop….in order to get the dog out of danger, you will have to re-command it to do something else…..whether from a stand, a sit or a down.  A dog is as capable of moving out of a down back to you if necessary, as it is from a stand.  (No, we’re not on the same wavelength because you are insisting that a natural behaviour from a dog….the down….is two behaviours.  We could argue that a down is stop and down and therefore two behaviours, or that it’s one in that it’s a quick response to a command.  Quite honestly, I don’t give two hoots if it’s two behaviours or one…so long as it sodding works.)

I also work with aggressive dogs.  Dogs that are flying out at other dogs.  As I said, I don’t care if that dog stands or downs, so long as I get it to stop flying out.  My own dogs are not aggressive, but I go out to dogs that are.  And, like you, I teach clients to get the dog behind them.  It’s not rocket science. 

As I said before, I wouldn’t do a down if it put the dog at risk.  I think we are moving away from the original problem, which was CJ’s dog *leaving her side* to approach other dogs, which was where the down came into play.  CJ’s dog (from my understanding of her post) was not near other dogs, and I simply explained how I stopped my dog from flying out to other dogs that were a distance away.  The down did not involve dogs that were up close and personal.  😉

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime