Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Re: Bad relationship

Home Archive Forums Dogs Dogs Bad relationship Re: Bad relationship

Dree

[quote author=piglet link=topic=12456.msg241305#msg241305 date=1221751414]

quote :

Remember that if he does a slow one, or is slow to react (presuming he understands the command perfectly in all circumstances) then with-hold the reward.  Or just give him a pat on the head, and say “Good try, son, but not good enough.

Dree – a stop is a stop, your down in this situation is a stop then a down its 2 behaviours (the behaviour of stopping and the behaviour of down) chained together 🙂 

I would take care witholding rewards during initial training for non fluent behaviour – i reward this and build on it.  Also I wouldnt give reward for unreliable cues (ones with are almost there are not the behaviour you want so … “what u click 4 is what u get” – my bonnie can offer a wonderful 1/2 sit crouch kinda thing in freeshaping from when i was clicking in the wrong place !).

Correct me if I am wrong but surely if you had Nells cues reliable and fluent it follows that you wouldnt need to put her on her lead (and deny her flight and increase her dog anxiety) ?  Basically it means you never got your C5+D with her for her heelwork or stayby / leaveit / waitup cues …?

[/quote]

See my reply to Izzie as to whether it is one or two behaviours.

I am with-holding rewards for a behaviour that has already been well taught.  Read my post again.  The dog understands the down, and does it well in all circumstances.  So if it doesn’t do it fast enough, the reward can be with-held….or a lower reward given, such as a pat on the head…so that the dog tries harder to get a fast down the next time.  Yes, I understand about clicking in the right or wrong place…..depends if you are clicker training or using positive reinforcement, doesn’t it?

Nell was around 5/6 months old at the time, and I used the best that I had at the time, which was the down.  I put her on the lead, because if she had decided to carry through the attack (unlikely, yes, but possible) she was heading for a human….and for a road.  As for C5+D….I was never much good at trig  :laugh:  Speak in a language we can all understand.  No-one should be trying to confuse anyone with behaviourist jargon.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime