Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Re: Positive punishment

Home Archive Forums Dogs Dogs Positive punishment Re: Positive punishment

kizkiznobite

the example i always use for clients…think it on here somewhere but here it is again…

if my son hits his head on an open cupboard door then it is an aversive – next time he will hopefully remember and not repeat the behaviour – that is an aversive action – if however – he goes to grab something out of the cupboard and i bang his head with the door then it is an aversive that is done on purpose –  this is punishment and it re-enforces me but did it teach him a lesson? it may have but it may not have.

When this sort of punishment is applied to dogs then it is more than likely that the punishment did not coincide with the behaviour being punished it is then an aversive and the dog is more than likely to associate you with a punishment rather than a correction of a behaviour so basically all punishments are aversives but not all aversives are punishments

By correcting behaviours and rewarding the corrections then you are re-enforcing the required behaviour – by punishing the behaviour then rewarding the correction then you risk merely re-enforcing yourself and then the dog will work to avoid.

had a a call 2 days ago…lady with a staff pup…7 months jumps up folk with excitement esp visitors when the arrive ..typical mad staffie puppy behaviour…got in a behaviourist (wont tell you how much but horrific) …discs advised, shown how to use ‘correctly’…didnt work…lady called behaviourist after 2 days and pup getting nervous and anxious when door bell rang….lady said discs not working…behaviourist said then throw them so they hit the feet….and also stop fussing the pup …isolate pup from yourself…you have boneded too much..

yeah right  ::)

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door