Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Re: snapping

Home Archive Forums Dogs Basic Dog Training snapping Re: snapping

Anonymous

hi,

ok i am wondering if you allowing him to ‘see other dogs off’ has meant he’s moved this behaviour on to now see ALL dogs off – wherever they might be …. he’s a clever little monkie if i’m right !!

if he recalls with another dog about you want BIG BIG BIG rewards wooooh super clever boy play play pat stroke etc etc ……. you need to be the most exciting “object” he’s ever seen ever 🙂  and if he likes treats enough to snatch – take some black pudding cut up with you – not too small 1-2cm cubes would be fine and use this when he recalls the big ones – wave it about and then as he’s coming back to you say ‘good boy to come’ (or whatever you say) and make sure he sees you drop 1 piece at your feet when he eats that click + give him another treat for staying near you and so on and so on 🙂

snatching is another one to work on – bonnie would take your arm so again another one that can be done 🙂  just work round it for now, and work on it at home etc … up the criteria and remember if another dog is near he might still snatch as its competition in his eyes.  once you have his “best place to be” while other dogs are about then you can work on denying him treats until he takes them “nicely” (i have a nicely cue and if they go to snatch i close my hand and tough b*ggers no treats but in this case you want to be treating MEGA every good recall around dogs so drop the stuff on the floor (as long as other dog isnt too close obviously) – if they close and he’ll sit then close your hand round the treat till he looks like he’ll be nice – if you have a dog gate and just the end of his muzzle fits through this is how i taught bonnie because you can control the ‘take’ without getting bit !!!

CLaire x

p.s. if nutter dogs come bounding over then i wouldnt let him chase them off – let him play yeah, but if they annoying you and it happens often take a spare slip lead put stan in a sit/stay and take the dog back to owner and take deep breath 🙂

p.p.s. ooh look someone agrees wiv me !!!  🙂

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door