Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Re: He just wants to say Hi

Home Archive Forums Dogs Basic Dog Training He just wants to say Hi Re: He just wants to say Hi

RozandFly

I absolutely loved this and I wish I had read something like this years ago – it explains such a lot about my past and current dog’s behaviours.
The problem now is that the 10month old collie pup I have is turning out to be the ‘overexcited and rude dog’ as I’ve explained briefly in ‘Heeling and New Dog’.
Great on the lead when noone else about but as soon as a dog appears, usually in the distance, he yanks to the end of his lead barking like a possessed thing. Dogs that we meet more close up he doesn’t bark but tends to dive straight in and twice now this has resulted in him, quite rightly, being told off by the other dog (one was a g.sheperd-cross that Wally tried to climb on top of, to hump perhaps?!). After this he’ll then sit but makes whining and yelping noises (wanting to play?) and then will occasionally jump at the dog again. I understand from this article, and through sensible comments from people here and of course Bev that with dogs you need to ‘help him find a more appropriate behavior or remove him briefly from the triggering situation’ but when that situation is 1/2 mile down the road ignoring him, how do you avoid that?
Ok, moaning over – in sum – fab article, just wish I had the sensible dog not the rude one!!!!

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime