Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Re: bonfire night.

Home Archive Forums General Category Puppy talk bonfire night. Re: bonfire night.

melinda

I’m not sure what others will advise, but as I haven’t had Oscar long, when the fireworks were going off this week and he was pricking his ears up and looking interested I started talking to him in an excited voice ‘ooh what’s that Oscar, shall we go see?’

We went outside and there were bangs etc and I took out some treats and the clicker, when he was being all calm or just pricking his ears in interest I was rewarding him.  I got him doing his training out on the decking, with the bangs still going off, and he was fine.

His papers from DT said he was phobic of fireworks, have yet to see it though!

Simba, on the other hand, runs away and hides in my bedroom.  She’s a lot better than she was last year, I tend to ignore her nervous freak outs and then give her cuddles and treats when she chills a bit.

Turning the tv/radio volume up and acting normally is usually a good idea.

The only puppy I raised, our family cocker spaniel, is bomb proof.  When she was a pup we made a point of exposing her to loud noises and making it fun for her, so she didn’t associate loud noises with ‘scary’.

I’m sure others who are more experienced and knowledgeable than me will advise, but the above has always worked for us with our dogs as yet.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime