Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

6 month old puppy going bald

Home Archive Forums Dogs Dogs 6 month old puppy going bald

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author

:help:  I have two Staffordshire Bull Terriers, one 5 year old male and a 6 month old bitch.  The pup seems to have developed bald patches over her body and under her arms.  There are a also a couple of bald patches on the top of her head.  She doesn’t seem to be scratching and the skin isn’t red but seems very dry.  I feed them both on Royal Canin (hers is puppy skin and digest) his is for fat boys who have just been chopped!  They have both been fully vaccinated, wormed and given the vets version of stronghold (can’t remember the name).  When I picked the pup up from the breeder her mum had fox mange, would this be the cause?  The male Staffie isn’t affected at all.  Please help.

Izzie

Have you taken her to the vets for them to get a skin sample?

Pics would be helpful for those in the know

Hi and Welcome too

ok…

i would get her to the vets today for s skin scrape just to rule out fox mange.

i think this is much more likely a food allergy as they are fed rubbish.  until its sorted i would hold off any chemical wormers and flea treatments and vaccinations and stop any commercial dog treats for BOTH dogs.

you need to read about natural feeding and swap them ASAP (i would swap her now) i bet you also notice a difference swapping him too even tho he not showing as bad as pup.

once pup’s coat / skin are better then you also have choices about wormer, flea treatment and vaccinations – you could re-start but with sensitive skin she may flare up again after being treated and there are good alternatives.  vaccinated dogs shed droplets so if you dont get her done then you would be best not getting him done either.  if your vet isnt supportive – find one who is to give your money to 😀 

you have lots of reading to do 😀

claire x

another doggie going bald from food allergy and reactive to chemical treatments …

https://www.resources.dogclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=13863.0

I’m confused, why are you saying my dogs are being fed rubbish?

Took her to the vets yes and he didn’t seem overly concerned, he said that if it gets worse then to bring her back for skin scrape.  It hasn’t got worse but hasn’t got better!

Hi,

you said you feed them royal canin, its an awful food and one which is particularly known for food allergies.  You are feeding it to a staffie pup, a breed known for having sensitive skin anyway …. and her immune system could be questionable anyway as the breeder doesnt sound brilliant exposing a pregnant bitch to mange.

i’m not suprised the vet didnt think of food allergies, it seems an awful lot know very little about nutrition.

Claire.

Thanks!  It was the vet who sold the food to me!!

hehe – was just about to put that as was doing some reading and realised it was prescription food !!

vets sell food to make money – simple!!  No wonder they didnt advise you to try something different !

so u paying through the nose for vet food aswell as the vets not giving you decent advice 🙁

Claire.

>:(  D’oh!  What food do you recommend for them?

royal canin – skin and digest

ingredients :

1. mixed cereals including maize and rice

2. saturated fats

3. poultry meat probably obtained from jetwashing carcasses which can include some feathers and other body parts which is then dried out

4. wheat gluten – this could be what she’s reacting to 🙁

5. poultry protein (because the so-called meat above has very little nutritional value left)

6. poultry liver (as above)

7. SUGAR

the rest. vitamins, minerals added back in again because no nutrition in the ingredients and also to sell product with trendy “now” ingredients such as EFA’s / Omega 6 etc … no mention of whether most of these are synthetic or natural and how they were stored and processed … these nutrients can be destroyed during either process.

and thats what you pay your (probably lots) of money for !!

very little meat (which is essential to a young pups diet) and very lots of allergy creating things ….

i would change them BOTH to a natural diet – have a read of those links and come back with Q’s 😀

Val

Hallo and Welcome
    Think this is an overdose of chemicals and not such a good food, some Staffies can get a bald patch on the top of their heads when they are teething.
    Staffies are know for thin fur and very sensitive skins have a read in the stickies and come back with questions I would most definatly put both dogs on a fresh diet, it will help with her skin and the boys weight
    Val

[quote author=Annie Cameron link=topic=14022.msg265053#msg265053 date=1238586022]
    :help:  I have two Staffordshire Bull Terriers, one 5 year old male and a 6 month old bitch.  The pup seems to have developed bald patches over her body and under her arms.  There are a also a couple of bald patches on the top of her head.  She doesn’t seem to be scratching and the skin isn’t red but seems very dry.  I feed them both on Royal Canin (hers is puppy skin and digest) his is for fat boys who have just been chopped!  They have both been fully vaccinated, wormed and given the vets version of stronghold (can’t remember the name).  When I picked the pup up from the breeder her mum had fox mange, would this be the cause?  The male Staffie isn’t affected at all.  Please help.
    [/quote]

*Nat*

Hi and welcome, I second what the others have said already, natural diet is best  🙂

Would love to see some pics of your dogs  ;D

I know a pied staffie who is completely bald, except for the back of her neck where she cant scratch.  According to the vet she has a list of allergies as long as your arm, so she’s on Hills prescription diet, a tiny tin of food and a handful of biscuits a day, nothing else. 

Her condition hasn’t changed, its maintained.  IMO the food is keeping her like this and her owner keeps buying her it because the vet says she needs it  ::) ::) >:(  I think its a simple allergy to food but her owner wont try an elimination diet, because she’s allergic  ::)  As if it could get any worse  ::)

Hi and welcome BTW!  🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime