Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

A Fox Thought

Home Archive Forums Dogs Dogs A Fox Thought

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    GSPmad

If anyone else has read Raymond Coppinger’s Dogs book (I’ve actually only read the first chapter so far but it gave me a thought!!  :surprise: )… the stuff about the foxes and selecting for the tamer ones meant piebald coats doggier noises and floppier ears came as part of the territory….

….it got me to thinking about urban foxes – red foxes… which are ridiculously ‘tame’ for what is supposed to be a wild animal. remember virtually coming face to face with one with three cubs walking up from by the canal in leicester one night… and in grimsby was one trotting along the road that i couldn’t work out what it was till bushy tail and cocking leg up lamppost (it was dark btw!!  😀 ) made me realise…

….so… first, does anyone know if there are any differences between rural not so tame red foxes and the urban ones physically\ bark wise etc? second – stemming from this theory do you think it likely that there will be? and thirdly – do you think urban foxes will ever become tame to the point where they will start living as pets – and if so in the selection for that tameness do you think there will be further linked changes?

Discuss.  ;D

kizkiznobite

doG yes… ::) my eldest sis…feed fox…fox dont hunt no more…feed pheasants…dont have man fear anymore….have pics…mr fox and wife and cubs…eating next to mr pheasant and chicks  ::)

mrs fox…actually comes to garden gate and ‘woofs’  ::) but then my eldest sis is nuts in the bestest possible way  🙂

Anonymous

Hi,

the fox that i met staggering home up to crookes one night after a few too many in the SU certainly seemed friendly it stopped rootling through the bin it had found to share some of my kebab … from my hand !!!

i would imagine that unless flipping recycling frenzy has hit crookes its offspring probably live up there still easy pickings from student leftovers 😀

Claire x

GSPmad

whereabouts in crookes did you live? i know crookes….

Anonymous

We never see foxes in the gardens or on the road unless they are on the main roads squashed  :hurt:

I live next to an urban farm, been there about 20 years, they have five foxes in their bottom field, been seen running along our street and Alex and I see them frequently in the playpark at the bottom of the street, very flighty, beautiful and super quick, I always think its a real treat to see them as I don’t think I’d ever seen one before I moved here last year.

*Nick*

In my entire life I think I’ve seen 3 foxes. 1 was sunning itself on a golf course.  🙂  I guess Raccoons would be our equivalent.  Never understood why people killed foxes either  :confused:

GSPmad

[quote author=*Nick* link=topic=12821.msg246876#msg246876 date=1224878972]
    In my entire life I think I’ve seen 3 foxes. 1 was sunning itself on a golf course.  🙂   I guess Raccoons would be our equivalent.   Never understood why people killed foxes either  :confused:
    [/quote]

You aint seen how many there are over here – and on a densely populated island they are also quite a risk for newly born lambs as everyone, animals and human, live in such close proximity.

*Nick*

Methinks y’all have some control issues  😉 :canadian:

GSPmad

don’t look at me nick – i am childless!!!!  😀

Anonymous

nick – they take lambs / sheep / chickens …. thats why ppl traditionally didnt want them around

*Nick*

ya, I know…that’s what they eat.

GSPmad

Au contraire Nick – the urban foxes eat cat food people put out for them, meat scraps from rubbish tips, etc etc.  😉

Anonymous

i didnt – i was going home with … erm .. i believe the current “in term” is ‘friends with priviledges’ 😀

lived in gleadless – in the 1960’s flats near “the blackstock” pub

then up chesterfield road – meersbrook park

claire x

*Nick*

[quote author=GSPmad link=topic=12821.msg246923#msg246923 date=1224882994]
    Au contraire Nick – the urban foxes eat cat food people put out for them, meat scraps from rubbish tips, etc etc.  😉
    [/quote]

yup, same as raccoons …..and bears…….and polar bears…..and weasels……..and etc  ;D

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime