Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

A ‘Loki behaviour’ question

Home Archive Forums Dogs Dogs A ‘Loki behaviour’ question

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I have a question – and I know you lot will know!

On Saturday I managed to fall off my horse – actually it was more of a decision to bail out – for both of our safety!

I was riding around a track and I had Loki with me as well.

(Full falling off story can be recounted if desired!)

anyway – Loki ran over to me on the ground and licked me on the face (bless him) but I got up quickly (having let go of the horse) and said ‘ It’s ok – don’t worry about me’ (Like he speaks English  ::) )

So Loki runs over to where the horse is now standing – reins broken on the grass track and sort of ‘guards him’ – is hard to explain – but he was blocking him moving forward – very full frontal body language – then I thought he was going to growl at the horse – so I said ‘leave it’ and he backed off a bit but continued to ‘stand guard’ until I collected the horse.

Then we carried on as normal…

So tell me – was he thinking th horse had threatened me? Or did he want to keep it in one place? Or something else  ???

Have been trying to work it out  😀

incidentally the falling off incident carries no blame either to horse, dog or rider – was just one of those things  ::)

vinya12

I Think he was looking after the horse for you , bless him 🙂

GSPmad

Ouch.  :surprise: Can we have the fullfalling off story – you’ve started, so you’ll finish?  ;D

It sounds to me like Loki thought you should be on the horse and was therefore keeping horse still for you until you were ready. But that is pure conjecture on my part, I have absolutely no idea – but you are right, someone will know. That someone just isn’t me.  ;D

Anonymous

You see I think Loki thinks the horse is a type of dog – I thought he was making sure it didn’t ‘attack’ me again  ??? ;D  not really sure tho – that’s why I thought I’d ask!

Full falling off story is both unexciting and silly  😀

Basically the grass track (about width of a country lane) – Illustrated here:
    [img width=468 height=351]http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q139/sloulou/pets/02082008107.jpg[/img]

😛

a pheasant (probably frightened our presence) – flew out of bushes right next to horse – which duly spooked speedily to right.  Which would have been fine IF the field (shown above with wheat growing) has not been recently ploughed  😮

So silly horse couldn’t actually stand up and was barely staying upright – I chose to bail out so he had a better chance on recovering himself – he can be a bit clumsey you see  ::) – It was very slow motion – and I was halfway up his neck by the time I bailed – so actually only fell a few feet  ;D

GSPmad

ahhhh…. did loki flush the pheasant and expect the horse to catch it?  ;D

and is that a horse’s back eye view?  :surprise: have never seen one of those before.  ;D

Anonymous

Yes – that is the view from ‘on board’

I have lots of pics on various mobile phones of ‘on horses back’ views – so all you see is differnt coloured ears  😀

Anonymous

Glad you both okay,, when you see these You’ve been framed vids of people falling over if there are dogs arond they always seem to rush over to the person as if to say ‘are you alright’ I think its quite sweet really, as for Loki guarding the horse maybe he was asking him if was okay too 😀

Anonymous

hi,

i wonder if horse is part of loki’s pack – you cant ride a horse and take any dog like that, i have one that will and one that wont.  it needs awareness from the dog.

perhaps he was just mum is fine (he would have known by your voice as long as it wernt too shaky) now lets get other pack member too.

i’ve bailed in similar circumstances too – another thing you can do is take your feet out stirrups go completely limp and hold on round neck and with legs that way your weight isnt constantly shifting like it is when they stumble while you’re in ridden position …

claire x

I have no idea re Loki – but glad everyone is ok!

Anonymous

Is ok – it wasn’t a bad incident – I just wondered what Loki was thinking!

Agree – Piglet – is not every dog that is ok to go out with horses – but Loki has done from a very young age, so am lucky  ;D

Had to bail out tho – was totally unbalancing the poor thing  😀

Jay – I thought it was quite sweet too  ;D

*Nat*

Blimey Sarah, sounds similar to what I did a couple of months ago – although I didn’t chose to fall off  ::)

As for Loki…….no idea  😀  ;D Nice that he came over to you and was concerned though  🙂

Anonymous

hi,

hehe nat !! 🙂

its worth a bruised ego (and sometimes bum!!) against vet bills from a poorly horsey 😉

claire x

p.s. bloomin things spooking at everything … ours was a git for plastic bags when she was a baby but now she’s 18 and just snorts at them !!  (still going strong, still galloping – go go coloured horses lol !!)

wags

uhm i know when i once fell off riding and leading so i had 3 horses and 5 dogs all but the little mini dachhound even noticed  ::)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime