Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

a question?

Home Archive Forums General Category Gossip a question?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Gracie

how far would you be willing to travel to take your dog to a good luxury boarding kennels?

Mudgie

Would depend on how long dog was going to be there.  Wouldnt travel half the country for a couple of days but have changed airports so that the dogs could be in preferred kennels.

Most I have done is an hour and a half from home for a day board but would travel 5 hours and fly from Ireland if we were away for a lengthy period. 

Good and luxury mean nothing to Nacho he still has separation anxiety.  However when I was in Ireland it was an upmarket kennels which gave me peace of mind but it is only place he has been that he was not barking constantly or losing copious amounts of weight through stress and owner just had  great vibe about him. 

I guess same as Mudgie – hard to say really I dont and wont use kennels, I am lucky though have 4/5 people I can call on anytime  🙂

Sweetypye

Not sure what “luxury” is?

All I expect of a kennels is to keep my dogs safe and healthy in my absence.  Currently I fly out of Birmingham rather than Bristol because the kennels I choose to use are in Herefordshire not in Wiltshire where I live; this has nothing to do with “luxury” though, more that they are equipped to deal with the type of dogs I have (one of them anyway).

Gracie

Ok thanks, sorry 1st post was abit short, a kennels that did lots with the dogs, lots of walks, training, one on one time to hopefully tire dogs out to the point they may then relax a little more within the kennels or be tired out so they settle a little better

Not the Weim by any chance SP?

So Luxury in terms of nice pretty comfy kennel would not be top of list – as long a clean comfortable etc, would you pick a kennels that spent more tiem with dogs over one that had say double human beds ??

Thanks

Mudgie

For sure – but I think it is not just about spending time with the dog – it is about them knowing and responding to dog’s needs and every dog is different. 

Sweetypye

My Weim does not have special needs, I have had 4 and all of them have had no problems with kennelling (despite a lot of wives tales about the breed to the contrary). 😉

My GSD is trained to bite, he is a very sound, stable and confident dog however I prefer to kennel him with people who understand the sort of dog he is and the kennels are run by those experienced in housing security, sports, police and prison dogs.

They do not go out for walks and they certainly would not dream of interfering with my training and train them! 

I wonder if my dogs are so good in kennels because I am rigourous in my approach; they go for a half day, a full day and then a weekend before I leave them any longer?

Mudgie

Hi I think a lot has to do with the kennels staff and approach.

I used to leave the trio in what I thought to be a fantastic kennels.  Took them for a half day, full day, overnight then weekend and they loved it.  Body language was good, no signs of stress etc.  However BB then proceeded to chew a sofa to bits (through boredom I think but wasnt there so dont know) I dont know how the staff reacted but it was certainly reinforced in whatever way and Nacho then became stressed everytime they went.  To the point where I no longer take them there.

I have the privilege of being able to call on James if needed and depending on when I need him he can come and stay at the house so Nacho’s surroundings are same.  He is a dog that does suffer separation anxiety and that is down to me having poor knowledge of reinforcement when he was a pupster.  I would rather he was in his own home if possible and I employ someone to stay with him, whether it be James, Bev or his dogwalker.

hi,

i wouldnt board mine unless i had absolutely no choice at all.  wherever i go … they go too (unless its just for a couple of hours then they stop at home).

in a proper emergency, if bev or my parents or my old dogwalker couldnt take them / house-sit then i would probably ask Anna (dogloverwooo) if she was free as she lives close to me, failing that if they had to be kennelled I would ask one of the local rescue kennels as my top priority would that i trust the people there to keep them secure/safe and seek vet treatment if nessesary.  i wouldnt expect them to do any more than for the rescues as they’re busy enough – just clean, feed and a quick zoom round 😉

i cant remember exactly where you live but are the “hands on paws” ladies anywhere near you ?  i would try for a house-sitter if poss. it actually worked out similar to some local kennels round here last time i compared !!!

claire x

p.s. surely you are not going away already !!!  you supermum you 😉

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime