Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Achilles tendon injury – updated with pic of HUGE cast!

Home Archive Forums Dogs Health Achilles tendon injury – updated with pic of HUGE cast!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    CKSuki

Dongle was being his usual silly, fun and playful self last Wednesday evening, and he was jumping on and off my bed like a dufus and then suddenly dived under the bed (which he does all the time), but he yelped. He had caught his leg on one of the metal bolts. I think he was less coordinated as usual as he was recovering from a foot infection and on anti-biotics. Took him to the vets, they gave him pain relief etc.

Took him back yesterday, as he started to walk on his hock   🙁 and today they did an ultra sound on his achilles tendon and he has ruptured two parts of it. I am gutted. They have kept him in and doing a CT scan tomorrow and maybe surgery tomorrow too. I was really worried about this, he is already depressed at not having walks, and the prospect of my young, fine figure of an athlete reduced to no activity for 3 – 6 months is awful.

Of all the horrible things that could happen, I think this could be one of the worst for him personally.

Anybody else have experience of this sort of injury?

???

Anonymous

Sorry i have no words of wisdom but just wanted to say hope all goes ok  :-* :-*

xtine

awww no, poor Dongle – hope it works out ok x x

CKSuki

Thanks for replies and good wishes.  🙂

Quick update.  He has had his CT scan and will be home for a few days while the clever vet people examine the images.

Will update again.

Hi
    I am an animal physiotherapist, I would suggest you consider contacting a local physiotherapist to help with your dog post surgery. The achillies tendon has a poor blood supply and can take a long time to heal and there can be lots of scar tissue. A physiotherapist would be able to improve healing and expediate the rehabiliation process.
    Hope this helps :educated:

Val

Hi CK
    Dongle the daft as really done it this time I agree with the post from Elizabeth get a good physiotherapist
    And good luck
    Val

CKSuki

[img width=468 height=351]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f166/Girlsmum4/bongo002.jpg[/img]

Thanks for replies.  He is in very good hands, had a 40 minute appointment with physio on Wed and got another on Tuesday.  We have a strict regime on exercise, cold compresses, massage and flexing.

Val – ‘Dongle the Daft’ – spot on!   😀 – his tendon was 90% severed OUCH!

He won’t start hydro therapy for a while yet, the cast is on for 6 weeks.

🙂

Val

Poor lad they didnt hold back with the clippers.

Anonymous

Aww Dongle, hope he’s healing well  :-*

Izzie

poor lad, that looks painful  :-*

yalik

I agree with elizabeth, Once the vet allow, you should start with physio, than when he is little stronger you should consider hydrotherapy. Shockwave therapy could also be a good idea. It is more commonly used in horses but can be used in dogs. I am sure you can find someone in your area to help. It takes long time but it should heal well. What kind of surgery have they done? Have they put a temporary screw to stabilise the joint or is it only the cast that support the stitches?

CKSuki

Dongle is all mended now!

He is back off lead (after warm up), for about ten minutes at a time now.  All his muscle is nearly all back too, he is properly weight bearing.

He is a lucky boy.

Thanks for the replies.

🙂

Val

Pleased to hear he’s all well again
    Val

[quote author=CKSuki link=topic=15165.msg276159#msg276159 date=1281958941]
    Dongle is all mended now!

He is back off lead (after warm up), for about ten minutes at a time now.  All his muscle is nearly all back too, he is properly weight bearing.

He is a lucky boy.

Thanks for the replies.

🙂
    [/quote]

*Nat*

Missed this thread, glad to hear he’s on the mend  🙂 They sure do go mad with the clippers don’t they, reminds me of when Piper had her op, they clipped her the same  🙁

Lisa33

Glad to hear he is back on the mend!  😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime