Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Adoption/rescue advice needed please

Home Archive Forums Dogs Dogs Adoption/rescue advice needed please

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    *Nick*

Hello all.  Well, you may have read my other post about Sadies breeder dieing and the search for homes for all her dogs. We were hoping to be offered Remi, Sadies grandma, but she has found her forever home  🙂  We have been asked to take on Tristan,  Sadies papa. Tristan is now 8 years old, still intact and a bit of an idiot-savant  :canadian:  He is sire to many of the first generations of Blue Picardies in Canada and always loved his job  😉  He also may have a health problem that at this point is unknown but will be discovered.
    Tristan will be a tough fit for a forever home and that concerns me. He deserves to live out his days in dignified retirement.
    So, I have never had an intact stud so I don’t know what to expect. Is neutering at his age advisable and would it help to calm him down?
    What else should I be thinking about?
    Any help and advice will be very appreciated.

Diesel73

Good questions Nick, i’m actually curious what the answers will be.

To be honest, if i had Sadie ….. my answer would be ‘no way’.

A studdog that knows the drill thàt close to my girl… Nope, no way. If castration (of either dog) was an option than…. i still don’t know. Really don’t know what i would do.
    You’re very brave hahaha  😉 .

Val

Well Nick the problem for me would be did he live in the house? and how is he with other males?
    As for Sadie it’s not a problem she is spayed is she not?
    A good stud dog will not jump a bitch until it’s ready to be mated anyway they have more sense than too tangle with the ladies unless they are wanting to be tangled with.
    As I say the biggest problems will be was he housetrained is he used to the noises of a house, and most important does he get on with other males.
    Val

*Nick*

Thanks Diesel, thanks Val.
    Sadie is spayed, so there’s no impregnation risk. Tristan has been a house dog so he does have a semblance of manners. Right now he’s living at Brighthope kennels with 2 other intact males and I haven’t heard of any problems but we’re going to take Sadie up there and see for ourselves.
    I know it’s a risk which is why I’m hesitating and trying to find out as much as I can before we commit. What if he visits us for a week for a trial run?  Is neutering him an effective option?

Val

I would trail him as he must meet other dogs before you say yes, as for his nuts NO leave him alone testicles have nothing to do with behaviour, if he’s been a house dog then I would say he has good manners as he would of been living with girlies and maybe even a dog or two
    Val

*Nick*

Well, he passed his tests and we’re having him  :ok:

Val

Sadie has a friend lovely

Izzie

[quote author=*Nick* link=topic=15456.msg277532#msg277532 date=1287006322]
    Well, he passed his tests and we’re having him  :ok:
    [/quote]

Congrats!  ;D ;D

Now PICTURES please!  😉 ;D ;D

*Nick*

Thanks Val and Izzie  We don’t get him for another 10 days when I have 6 days off in a row so I can keep control of the situation.  I’ll get pictures then of our Canadian Champion ,  right now he’s ever so skinny. almost malnourished 

Val

I am sure that he will put on weight with you, he is possible grieving and now he’s in a strange place give him time.
    I am sure he will soon be bouncing around with Sadie in the snow
    Val

[quote author=*Nick* link=topic=15456.msg277535#msg277535 date=1287011272]
    Thanks Val and Izzie  We don’t get him for another 10 days when I have 6 days off in a row so I can keep control of the situation.  I’ll get pictures then of our Canadian Champion ,  right now he’s ever so skinny. almost malnourished 
    [/quote]

Awww Nick thats lovely news for everyone  :-*

Lisa33

Great news Nick! well done you! I’m sure Sadie will love having her daddy around!! 😀

*Nick*

thanks all.  Sadie is pouting and he hasn’t even arrived yet  :whatever:

Anonymous

Aww lovely that you are able to give him a home  🙂
    look forward to pics once hes settled.

*Nick*

D-Day  – 1  :scared:  Getting Tristan 9am saturday morning  :ok:  Just in case we didn’t have enough on already we’re also picking up an 8 week old kitten tomorrow night  :surrender:

Bit worried about Tristan, he’s been on a regular diet for a couple of weeks now and hasn’t put on much weight at all.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime