Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Allergy/plant/spotty belly experts…

Home Archive Forums Dogs Health Allergy/plant/spotty belly experts…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Merry

Hi, think this is probably like finding a needle in a haystack- but any ideas about plants (or anything!) that is particularly likely to cause allergic reactions?  A spotty bellly reaction?  Basically OH’s aunt’s dog has had red spots on his belly and vets had had him on steroids plus malaseb shampoo baths (was pleased with myself that knew what this was from reading about it on here!).  I didn’t like to say anything negative but luckily the aunt said she not v impressed by vets as had spent a lot of money with them and nothing improving.  We said we like our vets so she taken him there.  Our vet said she wasn’t going to do anything until steroids out of system so can see what they dealing with but thought an allergy.  The aunt seemed pleased with her anyway  🙂
    Now, our dog Sukey goes to play with this dog sometimes and went yesterday – this morning OH noticed all down insides of her back legs were covered in spots.  Some on her tummy too.  But these aren’t red- are yellow  :-\  We took Sukey to see the vet immediately because thought could be related and thought might also help in diagnosis of other dog.  Vet prescribed antihistamines and said to put aloe vera gel on (which we were anyway as knew she’d say that).  Vet pretty sure must be something in garden where they were playing – but what?!  Problem is the “garden” is really like a field and has loads of bushes in and trees, and areas of long grass.  Is it likely to be something specific, or just a sort of general thing like pollen?  Sukey is absolutely fine and spots don’t appear to be bothering her (to be honest it takes a lot to anyway as she seems quite tough regarding pain etc) – and she didn’t eat anything she hadn’t already tried previously yesterday by the way (has raw/home cooked).  Oh and our vet said other dog’s spots unlikely to be contagious from the tests that previous vet had done (don’t know what!).  Haven’t seen other dogs spots clearly unfortunately as he too busy playing to be examined properly and didn’t realise was that important yesterday!  Looked like small red spots to me – but vet said look similar to Sukey’s but red.  Hers look very gross and puss-filled  :-X  So don’t know if could be something entirely different – but just seems big coincidence that she spent yesterday running around with him (lead walk later).  Any ideas? 
    Thanks, Merry and Spotty Sukey  😉

Anonymous

Without seeing the area they play in it’s impossible to guess. If i walked through the place in person i could probably identify several plants that ‘could’ cause a reaction, but are you completely sure it’s plant related? Ants are very active at the moment because they are setting up new colonies. I took Cass to my friends house and she sat on a tuft of grass, i instantly noticed ants all over her bum & brushed them all off quick before they bit her.

Merry

Thanks Mark – to be honest no am not sure what it is at all!  Plants just seemed the most likely candidate!  Hmmm, will speak to the aunt about ants but am pretty sure Sukey didn’t sit down long enough for any ants to make their way onto her.  She likes to run and chase with the other dog and doesn’t really do much resting when they’re together!  That’s certainly something to be looking out for anyway though- cheers!  🙂

Merry can you get a photo of Sukeys spots, and the other dogs to if poss  🙂

Merry

Yep, I thought you’d say that!  Tried to take some yesterday which were awful – but have since been informed the camera has a special close-up setting (oops! :-[).  These are a couple of today – but they’re loads better today!  Really gone down a lot  ;D 
    Here is one of inside back leg (v undignified!)  You can see the redness and a couple of the yellowy spots that are left.  Only the larger of these are still there now, that area was covered in them yesterday.

[img width=468 height=350]http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z136/PJH_MKA/IMG_0878.jpg[/img]

And this is one solitary one in the middle of the pic if you can see it?  I tried to put arrows on but they didn’t transfer across with the image!

[img width=468 height=350]http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z136/PJH_MKA/IMG_0881.jpg[/img]

Izzie

have you given her any piriton?

Anonymous

Those are bites put some Aloe Vera on the spots she will be fine

Yep bites – hehe I thought they would be, they look just like the ones Honey had, some of hers were a bit yellow to – Val thought hers were Ant bites  :-* The Aloe works, just dont leave it lying around with no lid on  :-[

Merry

Ooh those pesky ants, sounds like you were right Mark!  Saw loads on our allotment today after you’d said that- but luckily didn’t have Sukey with me because was so hot.  Just didn’t think she’d have had chance to get bitten so many times when hardly stayed still – though only takes one busy biter I guess!  Looked more like she’d been stung by nettles yesterday but with the horrible yellow acne-type spots all over the patch where she’s red in the photo (and on other side, some on her belly and further down legs).
      Thanks all  ;D- yep wacked the aloe vera on as soon as we saw the rash.  Remembered that from reading something on another thread- but then felt pleased with myself because that’s what the vet recommended too!  🙂 ::) 🙂
      Yep Suz – lid firmly on!  Been putting it on her on my bed too as more comfy for her to roll around on her back (we don’t have carpets!) so must be careful!  😀

Anonymous

Honestly Merry, Cass only sat on an ant nest for a few seconds in my friends garden & her back end was covered in them, luckily i brushed them all off before they bit her but i was amazed just how fast they were to climb on her, she had literally only parked her bum a second when i saw them all crawling on her.  :-X

*Nick*

Hi Merry, just saw this thread and am very interested to know how Sukey is doing, did the Aloe work?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime