Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Anal glands…again!

Home Archive Forums Dogs Health Anal glands…again!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    parsonsmum

Doug (PRT) has had a fascination with his rear end for 2-3 days, and yesterday went absolutely crazy eating grass…..not usually a grass eater. This morning he had a large hard red swelling on one side, so I thought I’d better not tackle his anal glands myself this time.
    Vet diagnosed an abcess and prescribed a 5 day course of Antirobe (clindamycin) 75 mg. Both his glands were full. I refused the Metacam, as so far he does’nt seem too distressed.
    His diet includes veg and fruit every day and he has bones 3-4 times a week, so I am a bit bemused as to why he’s got this problem ??? Any advice please……
    1;..Can I give him his usual bones…..or should I wait till this clears up?

2;…Will his system take a knock with the ABs, and what can I give him to boost him?

3;..Is there anything I should give him for the discomfort in place of the Metacam?
    Thanks in advance!

*Lassie*

Sorry poor Doug is poorly 🙁
    I would leave off the bones until he is healed, straining to toilet will be uncomfortable – too painful and he may try to avoid going.
    vit E and selenium for immune boost, check with Val/Kiz for dose
    St John’s Wort for pain relief – check with Val/Kiz for dose
    hope he’s better soon :-*

parsonsmum

Thanks Lassie 🙂
    I’ve got selenium and vit E, will get some St Johns Wort tomorrow.
    Val? Kiz?……can you give me the dosage please for St Johns Wort. Doug weighs 10 kg. Many thanks!
    Should I give bio yoghurt too?……if so should I give it along side the ABs or after he’s finished the course?

Val

I don’t do St Johns Wort I would give Arnica or Rhus Tox for pain
    Val

parsonsmum

Thanks Val…..I’ve got Rhus Tox 30c……can you tell me the dosage please? 🙂

Lucyr

For pain relief I would use Belladonna 6x – 2 tablets every hour for 6 – 8 doses then 2 tablets 3 times per day until pain has gone away – could be a week.

Rhus tox is generally used for arthritic pain – arnica for bruising, trauma or shock – i.e. after an operation, or frightening experience.

parsonsmum

Thanks Lucyr! As it happens Doug has shown no signs of pain or distress, so I have’nt given him anything apart from the ABs……oh, and selenium and vit E.
    He’s eating and pooing as normal and still enjoying his daily walks….in fact everything seems to be clearing up nicely. The vet wanted to see him again this week just to check the infection HAS cleared up…….not sure what to do really ??? As I said he’s fighting fit and am wondering if he really needs a vet check again  ???

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime