Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Awful thing happened in park – what could I have done?

Home Archive Forums Dogs Dogs Awful thing happened in park – what could I have done?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Just had horrible experience in the park this morning…  Loki met a new dog – lovely staffy cross type thing – very friendly…  all was fine. Suddenly the little dog started choking like something stuck in her mouth – and after a few secs she collapsed at her owners feet  🙁

We looked in her mouth and couldn’t see any obstructions – but her tongue was going white and her eyes were looking cloudy…  we tried rubbing her throat – tapping her on back and after a couple of mins of no luck – I suggested the owner rush her straight to vet – she was totally floppy and barely concious  :'(

Am thinking it could have been that she got something in her throat (although she wasn’t palying with a stick on anything) or possibly she might have swallowed a bumble bee? Cos I saw about 3 of them this morning?

What could I have done?  I don’t think she’s going to have made it  :'(

if it was swelling obstructing breathing, then if you had a knife and a hollow tube you could have slit her windpipe and inserted tube to keep her breathing i guess …. its pretty difficult to do tho and you would have had to wait til the dog was near unconscious to get it still enough i would think…

anaphlaxis – then nowt unless you had one of them pens bev has to give a shot of whateveritis

claire x

oh what a shame, hope he’s ok…that must have been so awful!

Anonymous

There’s no way i could have done an emergency tracheostomy – would not have known how – and didn’t have anything I could have used… Plus I don’t even know exactly what happened, could have been bee…

The dog needed to be at the vet’s in minutes to make it – the traffic was awful as was nearly 8am – and am not sure how fast the owner moved  :'(

Am not sure how to find out if the dog was ok.. never seen it before…

Mudgie

[quote author=claire wills + bonnie link=topic=13925.msg263642#msg263642 date=1237367285]
    if it was swelling obstructing breathing, then if you had a knife and a hollow tube you could have slit her windpipe and inserted tube to keep her breathing i guess …. its pretty difficult to do tho and you would have had to wait til the dog was near unconscious to get it still enough i would think…

anaphlaxis – then nowt unless you had one of them pens bev has to give a shot of whateveritis

claire x
    [/quote]

I have to say I would have rushed to vets – aint taking a knife to anyone else’s dog and no stranger is taking a knife to mine.  

.dodger.

ditto Mudgie :yes: if you don’t know how to slit open a dogs throat and stick a tube in it (like most people) you could do a lot more damage then good. Straight to the nearest vet’s for me after quickly checking the throat for anything blocked.

Don’t know what i would do if it happened to dodger – doubt i’d be able to drag him quick enough to a nearby car or road to get him to the vets in time :-\

Anonymous

That’s basically what happened – we checked for obvious stuff – then woman took her home to get car and go to vets… But I don’t hold out much hope.. she muttered something about seeing if she needed a drink of water  :'( I said must get to vets now – she running out of oxygen… so she did run but am still v. upset – think doggie won’t make it

ets: laura – I thought same re: Loki – I’d need help to carry him back  :-\  Luckily this doggie was quite small.

.dodger.

poor dog – hope she managed to get to the vets in time :'( you’ll have to ask around the dog walkers and see if anyone has heard any news – not sure what it’s like where you are but everyone knows everyone round here.

it’s quite a worry when you think about how many little things we can come across that could cause them great harm and most of the time i’m a 30 min bike ride away from home and a 5 min bike ride away from all roads and people :-\

Anonymous

Well this woman’s house overlooked the green we were on – so that was good – but the problem is the rush hour traffic – she told me where her vets is and is not that near… would have maybe taken 20 mins to get there…

.dodger.

doesn’t sound good 🙁 i’d go to the nearest vet poss if i was in that situation but depending where you are that could still be quite a way.

If you know which house i would maybe call round in a few days just to check up – if the dog didn’t make it at least you will both know what caused it and what to look out for.

Sweetypye

Nothing.

We do not know what caused this episode it could be one of many various things:

Something trapped in airway – impossible to get out
    Anaphylactic shock – possible but you can usually see swelling in throat, again you can do nothing as no person who has not PREVIOUSLY suffered from this is likely to have an epiphen on them!
    Exercise induced collapse – nothing you can do
    Heart failure – could be triggered by underlying disease or have a congenital defect – again nothing you can do.

As for conducting an emergency tracheotomy I think you may find it is a little more tricky to perform than television dramas such as ER may have you believe…………… :agree:

Anonymous

To be honest – I wasn’t sure if I even should have stuck my hand right down her throat – but I thought if there was something obvious…  :-\

Yes – no way I’d be doing any kind of makeshift surgery!

so sad tho  :'(  but am glad people haven’t said ‘oh but you should have done xxx’ becuase I was worried I’d forgotten something obvious.

kizkiznobite

hugs widget…what an awful experience for dogs and humans….i often bemoan that when the bee got falkor that first time we was half way up a welsh mountain …i understood immediately what had happened and have doggy first aid knowledge so it was shove some periton down gullet and rush like a bat out of hell back to car…mo in back with him administering CPR for respiratory resuss that i was yelling to her how to do and at at the same time belting at lord knows how many miles an hour whilst also on moby finding then alerting nearest vet that we on our way…and bless that practice they were ready and waiting for us…i guess it took about 20 mins in all but it seemed like hours and we had seconds to spare…

but i have often thought since that being in the middle of nowhere helped to save him…can’t even think of struggling with city traffic in that situation to be honest…and there has been times when i have forgotten pen that i go into oh doG what if mode and turn around and go home….

offering or giving first aid to a dog that is not your own is a hard decision to make for anyone and for owner to accept….legal implications…trust in knowledge…panic control etc….

there was nothing more you could have done widget….

hope the wee soul makes it but to be honest from the severity you describe i would be supriied…
    how is/was loki…. things like this can be a bit disturbing for the dogs around too…i remember holliesocks going into a let me get to him panic mode and wowwowing all the while from the boot whilst we rushing to vets

hugs

Anonymous

Thanks Bev  🙁

I did pull her tongue right out – as owner didn’t seem keen to go in mouth – but all I could see was that it was going white and no obvious blockage.. think owner was in shock though as she was v. quiet and no really doing anything.

It was right a peak time for traffic – and we had already lost maybe 5 mins..  I really don’t think she will have made it – poor little thing.  :'(

Loki kept trying to sniff the dog – but he seemed fine, I stuck him on lead and made him wait behind me. Think he was ok, but when I let him back off lead he was very close to my side. Fine at home tho.

Sorry for rambling – think am bit shocked by it – sorry all.

Izzie

Hugs Widget, not a nice thing to see.
    :-*

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 67 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime