Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Bad relationship

Home Archive Forums Dogs Dogs Bad relationship

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 181 total)
  • Author
    wags

sod it Kerry pub !!!!!

ok as it seems to have completely vanished i will start again…

i was saying dree i totaly understand where you are coming from but don’t really agree….if i had stayed with the guy that gave me basic info in a ‘to do’ attidude and told us to forget it and just do it when questioned why or how something works i would have just given up and i might not have bothered looking for further help and just assumed everyone was the same.

when i came on here and was hit smack in the face with the blunt truth i had 2 choices run (as many do) or stay and learn, i stayed obviously… but from the very beginning everyone has spoken to me in ‘technical’ terms whether it be behavioural or other and that helps (maybe partly because i did a level physchology so understood on a very basic level) when you are being spoken to by an expert you may need to have things explained again in laymans terms but thats not an issue and always happens, but if you are spoken to like that from the start and constantly you don’t learn (at least i don’t and i don’t think i’m alone in this).

To learn properly you have to understand the working/theory behind things, for example if you are being told to stop doing abehaviour, i.e. clicking your tongue at a dog you clicker train ok i could just stop that after being told, but if i don’t know why i am stopping that i’ll end up doing something else similar.

now i’m not sure if you are just meaning the use of technical terms whilst training or whether you mean you don’t go into too much theory but either way if you are dealing with a rational adult, treat them like one, if you give them the ammo they can continue to learn for themselves, just like a few of us on here are now off to BB to start training for ourselves, if i hadn’t found this board and bev i would still be stuck in a bad situation, i may have been tought enough blindy to keep beau alive but probably he would have been reported under the dda and pts.

i’m sure others will be able to explain better, but this is me anyways  :yes: hope this helps you to understand a little more about how some of us on here work, especially those that have hung around for a while.

Dree

Will hopefully reply tomorrow.  Off to get some sleep.  A friend’s old dog is missing, and we’re going up to help look for her.  I hope she survives the night.

kizkiznobite

fingers and paws crossed here

hope you find her safe & sound poor thing.

Anonymous
    quote :

hit smack in the face with the blunt truth

oh gawd what did i say  :crazy:

Dree

[quote author=Kerry_and_Beau link=topic=12456.msg243209#msg243209 date=1222761707]
    hope you find her safe & sound poor thing.
    [/quote]

[quote author=kizkiznobite link=topic=12456.msg243188#msg243188 date=1222726377]
    fingers and paws crossed here
    [/quote]

She hasn’t been found.  🙁  Poor thing has been missing for three days now….she’s 18 years old.  On top of that, the weather here has been awful.  Thanks for the good wishes. 

Izzie

Just hope someone is looking after her.

Hope she gets reunited with her owner soon

x

*Lassie*

Dree can you put up her dogslost  page? maybe someone browsing may live in her area

Dree

[quote author=Kerry_and_Beau link=topic=12456.msg243040#msg243040 date=1222712585]
    ok as it seems to have completely vanished i will start again…

i was saying dree i totaly understand where you are coming from but don’t really agree….if i had stayed with the guy that gave me basic info in a ‘to do’ attidude and told us to forget it and just do it when questioned why or how something works i would have just given up and i might not have bothered looking for further help and just assumed everyone was the same.

when i came on here and was hit smack in the face with the blunt truth i had 2 choices run (as many do) or stay and learn, i stayed obviously… but from the very beginning everyone has spoken to me in ‘technical’ terms whether it be behavioural or other and that helps (maybe partly because i did a level physchology so understood on a very basic level) when you are being spoken to by an expert you may need to have things explained again in laymans terms but thats not an issue and always happens, but if you are spoken to like that from the start and constantly you don’t learn (at least i don’t and i don’t think i’m alone in this).

To learn properly you have to understand the working/theory behind things, for example if you are being told to stop doing abehaviour, i.e. clicking your tongue at a dog you clicker train ok i could just stop that after being told, but if i don’t know why i am stopping that i’ll end up doing something else similar.

now i’m not sure if you are just meaning the use of technical terms whilst training or whether you mean you don’t go into too much theory but either way if you are dealing with a rational adult, treat them like one, if you give them the ammo they can continue to learn for themselves, just like a few of us on here are now off to BB to start training for ourselves, if i hadn’t found this board and bev i would still be stuck in a bad situation, i may have been tought enough blindy to keep beau alive but probably he would have been reported under the dda and pts.

i’m sure others will be able to explain better, but this is me anyways  :yes: hope this helps you to understand a little more about how some of us on here work, especially those that have hung around for a while.
    [/quote]

I think I’m not explaining myself well enough.  I’m not saying that people don’t want to learn.  I have just found that people want me to explain in simple language what is happening with their dog.  I could go into behaviourist language, and lose them….or I can simply explain, in understandable language, what is happening, and what I think they should do.  I don’t mean that I just say to people….do this, this and this, without explaining the reasoning behind it.  I just don’t go into behaviourist lingo.  Is this making sense?  Sorry….half my mind is on the lost dog….

*Lassie*

You are making sense, you tell them in layman’s terms rather than behaviourist lingo

[quote author=*Lassie* link=topic=12456.msg243277#msg243277 date=1222802902]
    Dree can you put up her dogslost  page? maybe someone browsing may live in her area
    [/quote]

the lost dog?

Dree

[quote author=*Lassie* link=topic=12456.msg243277#msg243277 date=1222802902]
    [/quote]

Here it is.  Hope the link comes through okay.

http://www.doglost.co.uk/Page.aspx?data=pzp8JrdCfxmOYLL7ThMH8cgDIBGNb_3527OBXgIvucPT1ZF5GXNTxJvs0EQc6TpaCzJ

Dree

[quote author=*Lassie* link=topic=12456.msg243302#msg243302 date=1222804761]
    You are making sense, you tell them in layman’s terms rather than behaviourist lingo

[/quote]

Yes, that’s it!!  :yes:  Boy, my brain just isn’t in gear tonight.

*Lassie*

Link fine 😉
    she’s a pretty little thing :-* lets hope someone has taken her in

Dree

[quote author=*Lassie* link=topic=12456.msg243310#msg243310 date=1222805341]
    Link fine 😉
    she’s a pretty little thing :-* lets hope someone has taken her in
    [/quote]

I hope so too.  Sorry….didn’t mean to hijack the thread.  🙁

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 181 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime