Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

barking question

Home Archive Forums Dogs Basic Dog Training barking question

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Author

well my friend has just come in and he didnt bark so dunno hes a funny boy 😀 but its proly because im not in bed will try that tomorrow ;D

kizkiznobite

yep…he alerting you…he doing his job..what you need is to have some self cues working for you….when she comes in are you usually asleep or reading or watching tv etc?

Yep our Tobes does this too, Alex manages a bar so not back in until 1 at the earliest most nights and I’m in bed, he always barks when Alex gets to the door.  I have spoken to my neighbours before they mentioned it and they all say they don’t really hear it which is a relief.  Wouldn’t want to try to stop him as it was useful when those blokes knocked me out of bed looking for their friend’s house and my fearsome pupper scared them away!

Anonymous

what a fearless dragon boy he is 🙂

[quote author=kizkiznobite link=topic=12170.msg234670#msg234670 date=1217920752]
    yep…he alerting you…he doing his job..what you need is to have some self cues working for you….when she comes in are you usually asleep or reading or watching tv etc?
    [/quote]

ussualy i am asleep but there are sometimes that im watching tv

[quote author=TobyTeaCosy and Angela link=topic=12170.msg234681#msg234681 date=1217924781]
    Yep our Tobes does this too, Alex manages a bar so not back in until 1 at the earliest most nights and I’m in bed, he always barks when Alex gets to the door.  I have spoken to my neighbours before they mentioned it and they all say they don’t really hear it which is a relief.  Wouldn’t want to try to stop him as it was useful when those blokes knocked me out of bed looking for their friend’s house and my fearsome pupper scared them away!
    [/quote]

clever little pupster ;D
    i dont want to stop him barking altogether just when my friend comes in

on tuesday my friend came in about 8:30 and he didnt bark, she went back out again and i did the bedtime routine (lights, door locked). my friend then came back in about 9:30 and he barked.

so if i keep the bedtime routine the same he should stop barking at my friend when she comes in?

Anonymous

it sounds like your bedtime routine is signalling to him “right boy i need you on guard now” but i’m not sure how best to go forward as you still want this once your friend is in for the night i would think ?

sorry should have explained better 😀
    the first time that my friend left she wasnt surposed to be coming back as she was staying at her parents place, that was why i did the bedtime routine. so i am happy for him to bark then.
    stan will guard the house no matter who is in it, friend family etc i dont know if he does when im not here.

so what i was asking was: if i keep the bedtime routine the same and my friend implements it aswell stan should stop barking at her coming in wether im in bed or not?

sorry im realy bad at explaining things 😀 ;D

*Lassie*

How about leaving some lights on and the radio on low until she gets home so she finishes the bed time routine, then he goes on guard duty ;D

i ussually leave the lounge tv on and the landing light on, i think were we might be going wrong is she doesnt do the bedtime routine with stan like i do so i will ask her to do that from now on ;D

kizkiznobite

bump this …board elf playing up and i keep missing it  ::)

bumping  :-*

ok yesterday he didnt bark at my friend at all, appart from a little huff, but he also didnt bark at the doorbell either  ::) so now i am stumped 😀

kizkiznobite

do you mean he didnt jump at the door bell when she rang it?

no my friend was in the lounge with me when the doorbell rang, he went to the door but didnt bark like he usually does. but he did bark at the doorbell just now so maybe he was just testing to see what he was surposed to?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime