Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

BBC may axe Crufts coverage

Home Archive Forums Dogs Dogs in the News BBC may axe Crufts coverage

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Prem2Pram

CRUFTS was in crisis last night as the BBC admitted it may axe its coverage after 42 years over fears for the health of pedigree dogs.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/article1575479.ece

Why is it the media are quick to cover the negative and yet we rarely see anything about the positive side of pedigree dogs.

*Nick*

Seems there could be a lot of fallout over this show. Pity the people putting it on are shitting where they eat  >:(

*Lassie*

If the BBC drop it it may be picked up by another channel so we get more dogs and less presenters ;D

*Nick*

There ya go! That sounds like a bright side!  ;D

Mudgie

and maybe it will be less of a cattle market  ;D

Bevers2406

Hmmm – so taking part in a documentary that may actually at last reform the Kennel club and potentially save the pedigree dog from extinction and avoidable suffering is “shitting where they eat”….is it?

So we’re all meant to look the other way – pretend there’s nothing wrong. great plan. It’s worked so well since 1873 hasn’t it.

On a radio interview yesterday the KC spokeswoman said there was nothing new in the documentary – that they already knew all about all these problems. So why is it only now they are considering compulsion to health test, limiting in breeding etc. Why did it take a major documentary to make them wake up? Is the fear of losing TV coverage for Crufts more pressing a motivation than all those pitiful, trusting Cavaliers dying young of heart problems or having to be put to sleep when they’re in agony because their brain is too big for their skull?

*Nick*

I think you’ll find that participating in sensationalist media has a very very short shelf life.
    Are you going to lead the revolution? What if your “revolution” doesn’t sell any magazines?  You have researched the demographics on this issue haven’t you? Have you picked the winning team? Can your team even read or do they have any desire to? Think you can keep tabs on all the bybs that will be championed?

What was hoped to be gained from this program? An outcry amongst the great unwashed will change or solve what?  Is the general public now expected to walk down the street and scoff at “pedigree dogs” like they were the result of some heinous experiment?
    Was this simply an “expose” for ratings?

Mind you, my opinions are coming from 3000 miles away so they mean little I’m sure. I’d like to have faith in your intentions, but at this point I just don’t.

remember the media is the message.

wags

marry me Nick  😉

*Lassie*

[quote author=Bevers2406 link=topic=12259.msg237219#msg237219 date=1219214997]
    Hmmm – so taking part in a documentary that may actually at last reform the Kennel club and potentially save the pedigree dog from extinction and avoidable suffering is “shitting where they eat”….is it?

So we’re all meant to look the other way – pretend there’s nothing wrong. great plan. It’s worked so well since 1873 hasn’t it.

all those pitiful, trusting Cavaliers dying young of heart problems or having to be put to sleep when they’re in agony because their brain is too big for their skull?

[/quote]

The BBC not showing Crufts is not going to ‘save’ any dogs and the program last night won’t save pedigree dogs , it will just make people buy more designer dogs thinking they are healthy when their heath depends on what they are bred from. You can get good x breeds the best of both but you can get the reverse too and end up with a dog with the problems of both breeds

*Nick*

[quote author=wags link=topic=12259.msg237256#msg237256 date=1219241262]
    marry me Nick  😉
    [/quote]

sure, what the hell. Got any money?

😉 😀

Anonymous

[quote author=*Lassie* link=topic=12259.msg237257#msg237257 date=1219241833]

all those pitiful, trusting Cavaliers dying young of heart problems or having to be put to sleep when they’re in agony because their brain is too big for their skull?

[/quote]

The BBC not showing Crufts is not going to ‘save’ any dogs and the program last night won’t save pedigree dogs , it will just make people buy more designer dogs thinking they are healthy when their heath depends on what they are bred from. You can get good x breeds the best of both but you can get the reverse too and end up with a dog with the problems of both breeds

[/quote]

I had considered that as well Lassie. Your average uneducated Joe/Josephine public could very easily get the wrong message from the program, from the way it suggested rather sweepingly that pedigree dogs as a whole are all affected with genetic faults and inherited conditions, and as a result they could misguidingly think that people who don’t breed pedigree dogs to KC standards produce healthier dogs that DON’T have inherited health issues.

It could end up causing even more problems with ill informed people buying from back yard breeders because they think they are better than the ones shown on TV.

Mudgie

[quote author=*Nick* link=topic=12259.msg237259#msg237259 date=1219242037]
    [quote author=wags link=topic=12259.msg237256#msg237256 date=1219241262]
    marry me Nick  😉
    [/quote]

sure, what the hell. Got any money?

😉 😀
    [/quote]

She hasnt but if you look after her I will give you loads  ;D

Anonymous

Hope the BBC do drop it, there coverage is crap anyway

Mudgie

I wish Crufts would get a better sponsor, a more dog friendly alternative  ;D

and I think the coverage is all over the place anyhow  ::)

Anonymous

I all those pitiful, trusting Cavaliers dying young of heart problems or having to be put to sleep when they’re in agony because their brain is too big for their skull?
    [/quote]

Well i have 2 cavaliers with SM & one has no symptoms at all(diagnosed by MRI scan) & the other by having three 30sec SM episodes in 2006 he is 8 next month & both dogs contrary to what you have written have clear hearts Lou is 7 & JD is 7(nearly 8)

SM is not caused by the brain being too big for the skull it is caused by the malformation that allows the brain to herniate & block the spinal cord & before to shout me down Ms Cuddy I was told this by one of the top Veterinary Neurologists in the world

Now I wonder why no coverage of Addisions in Beardies, Epilepsy in Labs ? obviously not spectacular the Boxer & the Cavalier.

I wonder why the makers contacted a breeder & asked to film a mating, when she told them she had no plans to breed her dogs in the time frame they required she was asked to do a mating just for the program !! How responsible was that(the breeder’s dogs BTW are all health tested but clinical & DNA)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime