Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Big crack in paw pad

Home Archive Forums Dogs Health Big crack in paw pad

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Justine&Rafe

Hi – hope you’re all well!

Rafe has a big crack in his pad on his back paw.  It’s not bleeding, but it’s deep and he’s hopping on it.  I think he may be a little prone to this, because it’s the… third time, I think, that he has had a crack in his pad.

If you could spare some advice I’d really appreciate it…

1) What do I do to treat it now, make him a bit more comfortable?

and

2) What do I do to prevent it happening in the future?

Cheers guys, hoping you can save me a £35 vet bill which I can sore afford.

.dodger.

sorry i can’t help Justine but i hope you get it sorted out for him :-*

I’m sure i read something about using superglue – not sure if i’ve lost the plot or just thinking about the wrong thing :-\

Val

Make sure there is nothing in it, clean it, dry it, then superglue it  :ok:
    Val

Justine&Rafe

Wow!  Fab, will do.

Thanks very much!

Justine&Rafe

Have done…

Will have to see how it goes.

Warning – takes ages for the superglue to dry!

(But he was a very good boy and stood there for me even though he didn’t want to!)

xtine

glad to know all is sorted.. have never had to do this, makes me feel queasy just to think about it  :vomit:

Val

Don’t use as much glue next time it will go off quicker  ;D

[quote author=Justine&Rafe link=topic=14314.msg267918#msg267918 date=1243883570]
    Have done…

Will have to see how it goes.

Warning – takes ages for the superglue to dry!

(But he was a very good boy and stood there for me even though he didn’t want to!)
    [/quote]

Mudgie

I have done this a few times with Frank Weimaraner  ::)  I literally smear it on smear it off (latex gloves) then hold it together for a few seconds  until it sets – nae bother nae vet bills  ;D

kizkiznobite

hope he heals soon….  :hurt:

Anonymous

Loki is forever doing this – never taken him to vets (thanks to all on here  ;D )… have used superglue a couple of times – others is not really bad enough – but he always limps with it.. I just wash with saline after walks when they are small cracks.

I think it linked to swimming with Loki – he always cuts himself after he has been swimming – am guessing the water softens his pads?  :-\  Or maybe is a retriever thing?

Justine&Rafe

Just an update – it didn’t work!  Well, it did, but then it had split again by morning, so I re-glued it, made sure it was definitely 100% dry and set, but after a few hours it has split open again.  Have bought some dog boots off’f t’net just so we can go out on walkies without him limping everytime we go near rough ground poor love.

Think it may have been to do with him swimming lots, then walking back on the hot dry ground yesterday.  Very rubbish for the poor lad – don’t want to take him out today without paw protection, but he really wants to play.  Keeps bringing me his ball.  :-\

Mudgie

Don’t take ball out with you when he has split pads  😉

Val

You have to give it time to do a bit of healing he should not be running around playing with balls neither should he be swimming
    Val

sukasud

Kavik has recently had a dry, cracked pad, we put the paw into  diluted hibiscrub & put some sudarem on too & only walked him , he  wore a bootie when on walks. It is healing nicely now after a few days. The pads need a moisturiser when they get dry like that like vaseline.

Justine&Rafe

Belated reply…

Of course I didn’t take him out when his pad was cracked!  😀

I think it was the swimming + dry hot ground that caused the crack in the first place.  Am keeping an eye on him in this hot weather to watch out for the same happening again.

Have heard that re the vaseline, and it sounds like a very good idea.  Will be soaking his paws in it from now on!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime