Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

big scary green things

Home Archive Forums Dogs Basic Dog Training big scary green things

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author

i have tried doing different distances from the traffic but the only time he feels a bit better is if i am between him and the road. when the bin men came round on friday i made him walk along side the dumpster and sit next to it when it was still, he faught me for the first few mins then realised that it wasnt going to do anything harmfull and settled down, after about 30 seconds of him calm i took him away from the dumpster and gave him big fuss but it just doesnt seem to be working an if anything hes getting worse. he scarred the c**p out of me when he ran into the road earlier

kizkiznobite

back track with this one

when did it first happen – where were you – what was the ‘noise’

is it noise or movement or both from in front or behind – whats he like if vechile parked and silent – vechicle parked but engine running

what else are you saying and doing

why fuss him away from the dumpster for example – you are then just fussing him with me?

what treats are you using what cues are you using ?

it first started about the start of june (there abouts) i was walking past the road opposite my place and he spooked just as we walked past the road sign. i didnt see or hear anything unussual

if big thing parked he is fine, we walk through a coach park in the mornings and he will walk past them fine even if engine running

i dont say or do anything befor, during or after the events. i keep my hand with the lead by the side of me but when he backs off behind me he will pull on the lead then come back to my side

should i have fussed him or something whilst we were still next to the dumpster then?

i dont use treats because of his tummy probs and he doesnt realy respond with treats he preffers to have a good old play intstead ๐Ÿ˜€ .i havent realy used any cues either i just keep walking when he does it

we have made progress YIPPPEEEEEE ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

after reading your post kiz about cues i realized were i might be going wrong, so today whilst i was out in the busy town center i took him with me and had him sit at the traffic light and i did the ‘watch me’ cue when the lights went green. we had three coachs, a dumpster and two lorries go past, not all at the same time though ๐Ÿ˜€ just as each one went by (after the point of were he ussualy would have spooked) i mad big fuss and lots of play with him and we had no major spooks or anything ;D ;D YAY ;D he had a head tilt look and a step back as a coach went past and the air bracks went but nothing like he used to do.

i did get lots of funny looks off of people passing by because i was playing with him in the middle of the pathway ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€ but i dont care ;D

so am i along the right track now, or is there anything i should/ could be doing

kizkiznobite

sounds fine – if you lose focus then do some turn abouts – this way this way etc

thanks kiz will keep doing that ;D

well done looks like you’ve cracked itย  :-*

and who cares if you look like a lune, i always look like a half dead scruffy layaboutย  ๐Ÿ˜€

are you calling me a loony :-\ ;D hehe i loved it

not quite cracked it yet, but getting there ;D we had a major set back this morning though :-\ he had a real major stressy at a bus this morning and he was shaking and everything but this afternoon we saw a bus and he was a bit better.

the thing is he is a lot worse when he is ‘on home turf’ so to speak :-\

yeah i know what you mean, but no idea whyย  ๐Ÿ™‚ mo no help i’m afraid!ย  ;D

its realy wierd :-\ wonder if bev or someone will now why they are worse on home turf

GSPmad

dorain is like that with fireworks. fine out on offlead walks. in the house curls up on the sofa and looks miserable.

i thought it was like them being something scary and on own territory being a threat to them and their pack whereas not so much away from home territory. will wait to see if i am right.ย  ;D

thats aan interesting thought gsp

board elfs ack didnt see this ๐Ÿ˜€

GSPmad

had forgotten about that.ย  ;D so am still waiting to see if i was right.ย  ;D

will have to keep nudging to find out ๐Ÿ˜€

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees โ€“ ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime