Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

bike training

Home Archive Forums Dogs Health bike training

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    .dodger.

Wasn’t sure where to put this so feel free to move if it’s wrong :ok:

i’ve been going out quite a lot with dodger on the bike. We ‘try’ to start off with a walk then into a nice gait and for a quick burst of galloping then back to the gait for a while. We haven’t done more than a mile in one go without any stopping which he did well at – even tried to speed it back up when i slowed it down to a walk again but I’m hoping to be able to cycle down to the beach and back which would be 6 miles. I know doing to much to fast could put a lot of pressure on his heart so is there any training programme/sheet that shows you how to build it up gradually to keep his health safe?

Sweetypye

I am not sure I would gallop a dog on a bike.

As in any form of exercise you need to ensure your dog is fit for what you want it to do and increase speed and duration slowly.

I would not bike a dog prior to 18 months of age.

You must never do it on the public highway.

You should ensure the temperature is not too hot or even too cold.

You should think about the surface the dog is trotting on, especially now in the winter weather.

Exercise must be increased slowly to avoid sore paws, sore muscles and overheating.

The dog should be trotted at a speed that suits his particular gait.

You can test if the dog is doing ok by taking his TPR before, during and after exercise.

I tend to bike mine 2/3 times a week for around 5 miles a session, but he IS very fit and of course he has done the AD which is 13 miles of trotting next to bike.

HTH

.dodger.

thanks SP

we have built it up gradually and i always give him at least a 10 minuet break often

We did short bike rides around the park when he was younger but was told by some one else to wait until he’s 18months to do anything bigger than that – hence this post now.

don’t want to sound silly but what is TPR? :-\

*Lassie*

don’t want to sound silly but what is TPR?

As a guess
    Temperature
    Pulse
    Respiration 

.dodger.

okay so how would you take them? you don’t stick a thermometer up his bum every half hour ???

how many beats per minuet is normal while exercising?

and again how many breaths per minuet is normal?

sorry this all sounds like i’m really stupid :embarrass: :embarrass:

Anonymous

not stupid – i wouldnt know either laura 😉

*Lassie*

[quote author=.dodger. link=topic=12873.msg247617#msg247617 date=1225215509]
    okay so how would you take them? you don’t stick a thermometer up his bum every half hour ???

[/quote]

Temp, just a basic check before you start – would guess the best way is the armpit. Then when you check again halfway through you can see if he is getting overheated, afterwards if he is cooling off.
    Breaths, at rest then after exercise you will how fit he is by how long it takes for the breathing to go back to the resting rate.
    Same with the heart rate, it’s the recovery time that is important same as with people.
    What is normal, don’t know but after checking him a few times you will see what is normal for him.
    Never done this with a dog but have done similar when I did martial arts.

PS you are NOT stupid, I may have got it all wrong and TPR may be something different ;D ;D

.dodger.

thanks will have a search on the net and see what’s ‘normal’ :yes: we don’t even have a thermometer :embarrass:

GSPmad

[/quote]

You would stick a thermometer up his bum.  😉 They build up heat with the muscle work of running – temp can go higher than normal, you just need to watch it doesn;t go too high – I don’t run mine (his legs would probably give way  😀 tho he did used to do stuff next to bike) but i wouldn’t want temp over 103.5F or 104F max (normal 101.5F).

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=NOoK2shM5NIC&pg=PA129&lpg=PA129&dq=normal+pulse+resp+dog&source=web&ots=IMegf8Tubn&sig=TgY_3C_FseRG_k7Vrs0zisNixP8&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=3&ct=result

says normal resting HR 70-100 for a Dodge size dog and normal resps 20-40.

SP is probably your best bet for the definitive….

personally wouldn’t want temp over 103.5F certainly not over 104F, or HR over 150-160 for short bursts, or 100-120 for steady work : 150 is too high for a long ride, that would be short distances – (think 100m race vs marathon).

am i making sense?

I would expect panting while exercising…

GSPmad

And TPR is Temperature Pulse Respiration.  ;D

.dodger.

[quote author=GSPmad link=topic=12873.msg247649#msg247649 date=1225218560]

[/quote]

You would stick a thermometer up his bum.  😉 They build up heat with the muscle work of running – temp can go higher than normal, you just need to watch it doesn;t go too high – I don’t run mine (his legs would probably give way  😀 tho he did used to do stuff next to bike) but i wouldn’t want temp over 103.5F or 104F max (normal 101.5F).

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=NOoK2shM5NIC&pg=PA129&lpg=PA129&dq=normal+pulse+resp+dog&source=web&ots=IMegf8Tubn&sig=TgY_3C_FseRG_k7Vrs0zisNixP8&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=3&ct=result

says normal resting HR 70-100 for a Dodge size dog and normal resps 20-40.

SP is probably your best bet for the definitive….

personally wouldn’t want temp over 103.5F certainly not over 104F, or HR over 150-160 for short bursts, or 100-120 for steady work : 150 is too high for a long ride, that would be short distances – (think 100m race vs marathon).

am i making sense?

I would expect panting while exercising…
    [/quote]
    thanks for that Terry :-*

GSPmad

You’re welcome.  🙂

Like I said, I think SP will give the best guide, when she next pops in, owing to all the working she does with her dogs.  🙂

Laura am sure someone else asked this question – and SP did some big posts in response cant remember who posted it though sorry but might be worth a look?  :-*

.dodger.

did a quick search before hand but couldn’t really find anything but will have another look in a bit Suz, cheers :-*

*Lassie*

[quote author=SuzAndTheDiva link=topic=12873.msg247707#msg247707 date=1225227637]
    Laura am sure someone else asked this question – and SP did some big posts in response cant remember who posted it though sorry but might be worth a look?  :-*
    [/quote]

https://www.resources.dogclub.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,12260.msg237098.html#msg237098

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime