Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

BLOAT / GASTRIC TORSION

Home Archive Forums Sticky subjects Subjects to be kept BLOAT / GASTRIC TORSION

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Gracie

feel free to add edit or correct me if i am wrong!

taken from website http://www.kifka.com/elektrik/bloat.htm#condition

This is one of the true emergencies in veterinary medicine

Gastric Dilation (bloat) with Volvulus (torsion), or GDV.

Simply put, bloat describes a stomach which has become abnormally enlarged or distended. The stomach is filled with gas, food, liquid, or a combination thereof. Torsion is the abnormal positioning of the stomach which is caused by the stomach’s rotation about its axis, i.e. twisting of the stomach. Bloat usually leads to torsion, although torsion can occur without bloat.  Depending on how quickly the problem is dealt with, GDV may result in a stomach that is rotated by anywhere from 90° to 360°. Severe torsion usually means the displacement of both the stomach and the spleen (they exchange positions). The speed at which the stomach empties itself, as well as the stomach’s digestive contraction pace, are thought to play a role in the development of GDV.
    GDV most commonly occurs in large, deep-chested breeds, but has also been reported in Bassets, Dachshunds and cats. 
    It is imperative that you make sure that your veterinarian is familiarized with the proper procedures before his/her skills are needed. If your veterinarian is not receptive to or is offended by your queries, then it may perhaps be time for you to find a more responsive veterinarian.

Symptoms
    Early signs of bloat may include
    restlessness
    excessive drooling
    abdominal pain
    retching
    and/or non-productive attempts to vomit.
    The dog may vomit foamy mucous, or a mucousy foam may be evident around the lips.

A more advanced sign of bloat is characterized by
    enlarged abdomen
    pale gum color
    Some people have reported early detection by observing abnormal behavior, such as not wanting to move around; or laying down in a curled up position, etc. when the dog would normally run around and play. During this early phase, stomach enlargement may not be visually evident yet. Bloat can usually be detected when you make the dog stand up and gently feel his/her abdomen. The abdomen should feel soft and tapered inward when the dog is relaxed. If the abdomen feels hard, or sounds hollow (like a drum) when you tap it gently with your hand, then your dog is probably bloating or even torsioning.
    If you’re not sure, get the dog in to the veterinarian (or at least call) right away just in case–it’s better to be safe than sorry.

Prevention
    There are no sure-fire ways to prevent or predict GDV. Here is a list of suggestions :
    Feed 2 or 3 smaller meals daily (as opposed to 1 large meal).
    Any changes in the diet should be made gradually, over a period of a week.
    Vigorous exercise, excitement and stress should be avoided from 1 hour before to 2 hours after meals.
    Excessive drinking should also be avoided.
    Avoid feeding food that are known to cause flatulence (gas), e.g. soy, beans, peas, onions, beet pulp, etc.
    Some veterinarians advocate the feeding of large pieces of fresh/raw fruits and vegetables (e.g. apples, oranges, carrots) 3 to 4 times a week. The reason is that commercial dog food lacks the appropriate amount of roughage that a dog needs in order for the stomach to function properly.
    Some people give their dogs over-the-counter anti-flatulent just before or after they put their dogs through stressful situations.
    It may also be handy when the dog appears to have a lot of gas. 
    On dogs known to be highly susceptible to GDV (e.g. ones that have already bloated before) discuss the use of medicinal prevention with your veterinarian.

above website also covers:
    Emergency Treatment of Suspected GDV
    Physiological Changes Caused by GDV
    Surgery for GDV
    Post-Surgery Care and Common Complications

Anonymous

Note my dog went from early stages to advanced stages within minutes.  Terrible pain and discomfort.  From early stages to advanced within 5 minutes –  in surgery within 20 minutes of first sign. 

Timing is crucial – if we hadnt been in house – dog would most likely be dead.  If we hadnt stopped signs then he could have lost some stomach, spleen possibly more. 

You know your dog – you know when something is wrong.  Don’t delay VETS urgently.

Saying in our house is Better to Burp than Bloat….  ;D

Anonymous

i found this
    Factors Increasing the Risk of Bloating:

Being thin or underweight

Fearful or anxious temperament

History of aggression towards people or other dogs

Male dogs are more likely to bloat than females

Older dogs (7 – 12 years) were the highest risk group

kizkiznobite

and genetics – runs in lines

Lisa33

[quote author=kizkiznobite link=topic=4384.msg63424#msg63424 date=1155673531]
    and genetics – runs in lines
    [/quote]

This is what worries me with Emmy, as her mum died from it.

Anonymous

[quote author=fizzigal link=topic=4384.msg63418#msg63418 date=1155672575]
    i found this
    Factors Increasing the Risk of Bloating:

Being thin or underweight – Nacho wasn’t either

Fearful or anxious temperamentNacho not fearful or anxious

History of aggression towards people or other dogsno aggression towards people or other dogs

Male dogs are more likely to bloat than femalescertainly this one

Older dogs (7 – 12 years) were the highest risk group less than a year when he got it

[/quote]

He was also fed from height, smaller meals during day, not fed until an hour after exercise.  So dont think that if you dont fit the criteria it won’t happen.  Don’t worry about it just recognise the signs, be educated and act quickly. 

Only tick in box is that both his parents were very deep chested although neither has had bloat.  Dont know about grandparents or siblings etc.  

Gracie

did nacho suffer or was in a stressful situation just before it happened? as read can be linked to stress, of kennels,
    and often having pups or weaning them (obv this wont affect nach)

Gracie

https://www.resources.dogclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4370.msg63162;topicseen#new

from vals post in above topic

”The technical name for bloat is “Gastric Dilatation-Volvulus” (“GDV”). Bloating of the stomach is often related to swallowed air (although food and fluid can also be present). It usually happens when there’s an abnormal accumulation of air, fluid, and/or foam in the stomach (“gastric dilatation”). Stress can be a significant contributing factor also. Bloat can occur with or without “volvulus” (twisting). As the stomach swells, it may rotate 90° to 360°, twisting between its fixed attachments at the esophagus (food tube) and at the duodenum (the upper intestine). The twisting stomach traps air, food, and water in the stomach. The bloated stomach obstructs veins in the abdomen, leading to low blood pressure, shock, and damage to internal organs. The combined effect can quickly kill a dog.

Symptoms
    Typical symptoms often include some (but not necessarily all) of the following, according to the links below. Unfortunately, from the onset of the first symptoms you have very little time (sometimes minutes, sometimes hours) to get immediate medical attention for your dog. Know your dog and know when it’s not acting right.

Attempts to vomit (usually unsuccessful); may occur every 5-20 minutes
    This seems to be one of the most common symptoms & has been referred to as the “hallmark symptom”
    Doesn’t act like usual self
    Perhaps the earliest warning sign & may be the only sign that almost always occurs
    Significant anxiety and restlessness
    One of the earliest warning signs and seems fairly typical
    “Hunched up” or “roached up” appearance
    This seems to occur fairly frequently
    Bloated abdomen that may feel tight (like a drum)
    Despite the term “bloat,” many times this symptom never occurs or is not apparent
    Pale or off-color gums
    Dark red in early stages, white or blue in later stages
    Lack of normal gurgling and digestive sounds in the tummy
    Many dog owners report this after putting their ear to their dog’s tummy
    Coughing
    Unproductive gagging
    Heavy salivating or drooling
    Foamy mucous around the lips, or vomiting foamy mucous
    Unproductive attempts to defecate
    Whining
    Pacing
    Licking the air
    Seeking a hiding place
    Looking at their side or other evidence of abdominal pain or discomfort
    May refuse to lie down or even sit down
    May stand spread-legged
    May attempt to eat small stones and twigs
    Drinking excessively
    Heavy or rapid panting
    Shallow breathing
    Cold mouth membranes
    Apparent weakness; unable to stand or has a spread-legged stance
    Especially in advanced stage
    Accelerated heartbeat
    Heart rate increases as bloating progresses
    Weak pulse
    Collapse”

Anonymous

Early evening no stress at all.  Normal routine – had been great all day.  Didnt seem quite himself.  Pacing about looking at me and whimpering.  Next thing he goes to crate – which he never does unless we are going out or it is bedtime.  He lies down, then gets up paces about.  I knew something wasnt right – this is a matter of minutes.  He then starts trying to be sick – white froth – within seconds we were in car on mobile to vet.  His stomach was distended – solid and sounded hollow.  Carried him into surgery and screamed at vet to help him.  I remember vividly being on floor with him holding him – screaming at vet not to let him die that he had GDV.  Poor guy said I will do my best.  Receptionist then asks me what GDV was  ::)  Worst week of my life but hey ho – he survived because we acted quickly and knew the signs.  I can never thank my vet enough but if we hadnt acted quickly he could have had major complications or died.  And I want him in my life for at least another 10 years thanks.  Never realised until that day how much he meant to me.  Up until then he was “just a dog”  now I know that he is a very big part of our lives and we all love him very mudge.  :-*

Anonymous

Awww mudgie :-*

Anonymous

But nacho is fine  ;D  He just has a lovely long zippy scar on his underside almost the full length of his body  🙁

Just as well I didnt buy him to show!!!  I would have wanted my money back  ;D

Anonymous

😀 😀 Bless Molly sends licks to his zip :-*

kizkiznobite

see other post  🙂

Anonymous
    quote :

onions

which u shouldnt be feeding anyway 😉

Anonymous

aw mudgie that must have been so scary  :-*

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime