Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Books and stuff(bookworms)

Home Archive Forums General Category General Discussion Books and stuff(bookworms)

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I quite like John Francome too  🙂  I have read every Dick Francis book about 10 times each  ::)

I am the sort of person who reads a book they like again and again…

My all time favourite is the Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy (the whole triology of 4)  ;D

Also love Harry Potter (sad I know – but I think I like a bit of escapism)..  and Terry Pratchett books…  Also Jasper Fforde books..

Am not averse to ‘girly’ books if I don’t want to think….  ;D  Highbrow  😀

GSPmad

wags et al – knew there was a favourite books thread and have dredged it up.  ;D

kizkiznobite

Rebecca

“Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again” what an opening line – got to be the best first sentance ever written

That lass o’ Lowrie’s – you read that wags – about a lancashire lass that works in the mines

THEY did not look like women, or at least a stranger new to the district might easily have been misled by their appearance, as they stood together in a group by the pit’s mouth. There were about a dozen of them – all “pit girls,” as they were called;

i always know if i am going to like a book or love a book by the first line

Me too Bev, my fave opening lines:

Catcher and the Rye, GCSE English, still love it, can recall huge sections of it from having to learn the quotes by heart

“If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you’ll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don’t feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth.”

I Capture The Castle

“I write this sitting in the kitchen sink”

Anonymous

i love harry potter too 🙂

just read “going loco: a comedy of terrors” by lynne truss (who wrote my fave book – “eats, shoots and leaves”) didnt realise she wrote fiction its superb !!!

anyone else read it ?

Emma_rocks

No but i LOVE harry potter. Ive read them books 10 times over if not more.

I like reading reali like storys. Like when they were kids n stuff n it tells you bout wat they had to put up with things 😀

GSPmad

Agatha Raisin.  ;D they serialised some on radio 4 which got me addicted.

Chewy

I am such a total geek. I dont DO reality if I can avoid it and always reading.

Got the entire Terry Pratchett series and re-read them a lot.
    Harry Potter, Naomi Novik, basically Dragons based in the Napolianic war. The Magiacions Guild trilology is jjust fantastic by Trudi Canavan. Excellant!
    The Geisha is brilliant, better than the film.His dark matierials trilogy (Golen Compass).
    lot of early Stephen King and some of his more recent stuff now that he’s stopped waffling so much, The stand is brilliant and The Dreamcatcher.
    Eragon by Christopher Paoloni, Eldset and waiting for the third to come out.
    Anne Macaffrey’s earlier stuff and Kelly Armstrong, even if it is a bit chick flick kinda thing.

Yep, check me the geek.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime