Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Booties

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    .dodger.

Anyone know where i can get some good quality booties from for dodger? We are going out on the bike a lot and i notice if we go out for a while his pads are starting to get a little sore so i’m looking for something that will keep his feet safe but also comfortable to wear while running/gaiting?

Anonymous

he will look silly  😀 😀 😀

sorry that wasn’t helpful was it  😀

.dodger.

haha i’ve gone as far as putting white little socks on his feet just out of worry so i don’t think he’ll mind 😀 😀

*Nick*

The thing about booties is they’re pricey and he will throw one and you’ll never find it and you can’t buy just one.  🙂

Get a bicycle innertube and some electrical tape—cut lengths 6 to 8 inches long, slide over the big boys paws, just above dew claws, tape around his leg, then fold the other end over the top of his paw and tape again….they will wear out on asphalt, it takes a while to put them on  but you’ll save a bunch of cash.  :ok:

Anonymous

http://www.petspantry.tv/acatalog/mikki-dog-boots.html

a few on here  sets of 4 for £30 🙂

But have to agree he will look silly 😀 bless him and he probably wont like them either! cant you ride on grass instead?

Anonymous

Would an alternative be to toughen his pads a little? or would that be bad?  Val?

.dodger.

[quote author=*Nick* link=topic=13534.msg258458#msg258458 date=1232728000]
    The thing about booties is they’re pricey and he will throw one and you’ll never find it and you can’t buy just one.  🙂

Get a bicycle innertube and some electrical tape—cut lengths 6 to 8 inches long, slide over the big boys paws, just above dew claws, tape around his leg, then fold the other end over the top of his paw and tape again….they will wear out on asphalt, it takes a while to put them on  but you’ll save a bunch of cash.   :ok:
    [/quote]

thanks Nick, i don’t have much money to spare so i may think of trying this out – i was thinking of wrapping some cheap bandages around his feet each time we go out but your idea seems better 🙂 last longer 🙂
    [quote author=jaydex link=topic=13534.msg258460#msg258460 date=1232728520]
    http://www.petspantry.tv/acatalog/mikki-dog-boots.html

a few on here  sets of 4 for £30 🙂

But have to agree he will look silly 😀 bless him and he probably wont like them either! cant you ride on grass instead?
    [/quote]
    i wish i was fit enough to be able to cycle a few miles on grass :laugh: but the way the weather is here it’s just far to muddy to even attempt. Don’t dogs sweat out through their feet and panting? If so could it not cause infection or make them sore if i put him in boots where all the sweat got collected?? :help:

Sweetypye

If your dogs feet are getting sore then you are doing too much.

Forget the booties and scale down the biking.

How much road walking have you done with him?

*Nick*

I wouldn’t worry about sweaty feet, they don’t really sweat like we humans do.   The problem with boots as I see it is they are unable to use their toes individually which makes them a lot less agile. Probably not a problem just running beside the bike though

.dodger.

[quote author=Sweetypye link=topic=13534.msg258464#msg258464 date=1232729477]
    If your dogs feet are getting sore then you are doing too much.

Forget the booties and scale down the biking.

How much road walking have you done with him?

[/quote]

we do a lot of road/street walking. Unless we go to the waste lands and get absolutely filthy he doesn’t really get off lead meaning the only running he gets is when we are on the bike so i normally do one bike ride (normally 1-2 miles) and one street/park/road walk a day.
    His feet aren’t red or itching and he isn’t licking at them it’s just near the end of each pad on his front feet he has a small circle that is shiny – not sure if it was a bad thing but was just worried about his feet.

Sweetypye

How old is your dog?

A small amount of wear is normal, if the dog has no signs of redness or soreness he should be ok

.dodger.

coming up 2 in april – so i should just keep on with what i’m doing but keep an eye out for any signs of redness or him licking. Could i perhaps use some cream on them when we get back just to be safe or would that just make them softer resulting him them wearing down more and getting sore?

*Nick*

You might want to try a cream Laura. There are quite a few good ones out there…Invisible boot, Paw Wax, Touch of Love Paw protector  http://www.petsupplyhouse.com/2007_outdoor_petgear_90to91REV.pdf

I would say it’s well worth a try.

.dodger.

thanks Nick :-*

No dogs dont sweat like we do but they DO sweat through their feet – personally wouldnt like to see them covered laura  :-*

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime