Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Bossing another dog around?

Home Archive Forums Dogs Dogs Bossing another dog around?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I have a quick question – not something I’ve really had with Loki before.

A new dog has started coming to the park in the mornings – he is an 18 month old Neopolitan Mastiff x staffie – just been taken on by he new owner as was too boisterous for previous one…

Loki is a very passive dog… he either ignores other males dogs or says a quick hello and moves on (neutered or not) – he only really likes to play with puppies or girl dogs.

This dog is entire – they are obsessed with each other – Loki starts by standing on his back legs with his paws on the shoulders of the other dog (either head to head – or from the side) – they sort fo wrestle a bit in that position – then Loki starts trying to hump the other dog.  I can call him off, but the other owner can’t call this dog off, so it keeps coming back and jumping on Loki – and so we end up with a sort of mass of humping/ wrestling creatures until we pull them apart. There is no growling… but am worried that it might end up that way…

What should I do? Just take Loki away? Or is there a way we can help them to get on?  :-\ 

We end up with her putting her dog on the lead – and Loki coming away with me off lead… 

Shall I try ot avoid them?  :-\

Mudgie

widget – are they just playing  ??? and it looks kinda “dangerous” cos they are big dogs.  :-\ 

My concern would be that the other owner cant call their dog off

Does Loki seem happy bunny  🙂

Anonymous

When he plays he runs around or properly wrestles – but is because he is humping him that I am not happy… there isn’t agression, but I think Loki is asserting his position – and what if the other dogs gets pissed off and has a go – I wouldn’t be able to intervene – the dog is vast  :-\

Mudgie

I try not to “avoid” anything – best bet is Bev for this – I dont avoid dogs but some I know are problematic – I walk past with Nacho saying “on you go” – I suppose that is sorting of avoiding but ….  :-\

Anonymous

That won’t work unless she keeps hers on the lead  :-\  – for example – this morning I deliberately chose to walk the other side of the fence to her dog – and her dog jumped over to get to Loki  :-\  (is quite a large set of railings)

The main issue is that I can’t avoid in the way that you do because that dog comes up to us… I have others that i avoid by telling Loki not to go up to them and to walk past… but they don’t come up to us  :-\

I can avoid by not walking in the same place as her at all…

Will see what Bev says – thanks mudge  :-*

What worries me is the humping – he never does that to other boy dogs -and if he does to a girl he gets told off pdq (either by me or the dog!) and stops it. That didn’t work for me this time  :-[

Mudgie

maybe you need to speak to owner about your concerns  :-\

for about a month when I moved down here we used to meet a black lab – about 18 months off lead all the time – owner had no control over it whatsover – all you could hear was Max Max Max MAX  – I felt like saying MAX WHAT  ???  >:(  Anyhow it would charge and I mean charge in a fat bouncy sort of way towards other dogs with it hackles up and literally charge them.  I would move Nacho on before anything started.  :-X  and then this morning I heard her say Max that doggie isnt good at playing  >:(  I was livid  so I said and believe me I was quite calm.

Your dog is not playing, your dog is a bully, your dog has no manners, your dog is aggresive and might I add this is because YOU have no control over your dog and have taught it no social skills whatsover.  Being a bouncy dog doesnt make it a friendly dog  >:(

Anonymous

hi,

*hugs* mudgie and good for you saying your bit.  i’ve had a similar comment about William as i split walk my 2 sometimes for control (one on/one off) if i think the distractions are getting too much or my brain isnt at full power 😉

widget, i think i would also say something – if another dog i dont want around comes over to us i will call out “call your dog back please” if they dont i have a spare slip lead on hand and get it out and make movements towards catching their dog.  so far the only 2 times i have had to do this has been with large dogs and it was still relatively easy with a bit nice treat from pocket.  the other thing i find useful is taking a walking pole and making it VERY obvious if other dogs bug you !!

claire x

*Lassie*

Widget have you got a dog warden? if so it may be worth talking to them about the other dog being out of control 😉

Anonymous

the way to help them get on would be to reccommend they teach their dog some manners 🙁  until then its up to you to manage the situation best you can really – try talking to the owner, maybe they dont know its upsetting you ??

claire x

Anonymous

Thanks everyone.

The woman has only just taken the dog on – she has started training, but was telling me that she thinking she might keep him on a lead mostly as he is a little ‘over friendly’

RE: manner – It’s Loki’s manners I am worried about – why is he humping this entire male?!  And why is he ignoring me when I tell him to get ‘off’ – he obeys when its a girlie?

Am worried that it’s as much my fault – although clearly she is the one with the dog that just runs up to everyone (and I sympathise with that because Loki has been the same  :-[ )

kizkiznobite

he is just trying to manage the situation..this is not like with a girlie…he is letting the dog know that he is managing this meeting that is being forced on him…

what cue are you using to get him to respond…and are you cueing him when he already at it or as he going to do it…

Anonymous

When he is on I guess… they go from hello – to Loki’s paws on his shoulders – then I say off… he listened the first time, but the other dog keeps coming back and Loki gets back up, first on shoulders, then on his back.  I don’t want to make him vulnerable (if that makes any sense – lol!) by mis-cuing him and making it worse  :-\

Didn’t see the dog today – only met it twice so far…

kizkiznobite

ok …try the leave and fourpaws as the dog appears and then do a this way real fast..

have you tried a sit wait?

Anonymous

no – I have tried leave – but about 5 stone of massive bouncy mastiff x staffie hampers that a bit by leaping on top of Loki  😀

I know I should be able to cue Loki to leave the dog and not bother it – but is a bugger when the dog won’t leave us…  I guess Loki thinks he has no choice but to sort out the situation  :-\

kizkiznobite

get a slip…get a sit stay on loki…slip the other dog…return to owner…remember how i did it with that flattie? curlycoat…cant remember what it was..but you know the one i mean?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime