Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Breed – Specific Health Issues – whaddya think??

Home Archive Forums General Category General Discussion Breed – Specific Health Issues – whaddya think??

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Justine&Rafe

Have just been scanning through the board at older posts, and wondered if there was a section devoted to this -and if not, what folks think about getting one set up???

Each breed has specific “faults” and health issues that you tend only to discover on in depth research about the breed.  Particularly hard to find out is how to select a puppy bearing these health issues in mind… An easy one being hip dysplasia – and selecting parents with an average hip count the same as or lower than the breed average…

Soooo what I thought is that the people on here who have such a wealth of information about their particular breeds could do a sort of health sheet for their breeds – Common health issues, how to avoid when purchasing, what to expect re parental health checks from the breeder etc., and should the worst happen, how best to treat.

What do you all think??  :agree:

Could it be a new section???  (ooooh, very exciting!!!  :surprise: ) 

*Nat*

Good idea – unless we just add more to the Dog Breeds section  :-\ See what the others think, I’m sure Colin can add another section if we all think it viable  🙂

*Nick*

That would make interesting reading, I’m all for it.

Justine&Rafe

P’raps I’d better figure out how to do one of those poll/vote thingies this week then, see if folks want it.

Ahh the technophobia!

Sweetypye

One of the things to remember whilst doing this is that health problems in breeds can differ from country to country IME……….

Justine&Rafe

Really?

See I never even knew that!

So would be relevant for people to state countries then in those cases.

There’s such a wealth of information in the various people on here, seems a shame not to exploit it!!

Sweetypye

Yes because health problems that have been found extant in a breed in the US for example have not appeared in the breed in the UK.

raindog

[quote author=Sweetypye link=topic=13540.msg258803#msg258803 date=1233077317]
    Yes because health problems that have been found extant in a breed in the US for example have not appeared in the breed in the UK.
    [/quote]

A good example of this is heartworm in Siberian Huskies – a big problem in the US, but unknown over here!

Mick

Sweetypye

That was not really what I was thinkiing of.

There are lots of diseases prevalent in other parts of the world that UK dogs do not get exposed to unless they travel.

No I was thinking more along the lines of breed specific issues which do not necessarily appear in one country but are more common in another.

Anonymous

Like eye problems in beardies the American say they have eye problems and in the UK we have never seen any beardies with problems, which is a mystery as all beardies started in the UK
    Roll on DNA markers
    Val

Sweetypye

That is what I was thinking of; temperaments appear to differ too.

Justine&Rafe

It’s all really interesting stuff, all the more reason to get as much breed specific info in one place as possible!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime