Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

burst eardrum

Home Archive Forums Dogs Health burst eardrum

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Gracie

aunties doggie a mini JRT who is only maybe 7 8 months old has got a burst eardrum

how does it happen? any thing that helps to cause it? how to treat? is it likely to reoccur?

she was in wales and took the dog to the vets and £300 later (she is insured) as they had to keep her in all day and possily night ??? dont know why and then she also has an infection in the other ear so has antibiotics for that and drops for the burst drum.

now then the dog i think may be sensitive, she was raised on butchers and itched, changed to ND they were on that for  few months, and she still itched, now eats whatever they are having  :-X need to go round for a chat

but diet helps ears doesnt it? and would Vals ear cleaner be ok to use? and what foods are bread specfic to a JRT – i am thinking pots rather that rice maybe?!

kizkiznobite

a dog that has a serious ear infection deep in the ear canal risks bursting an eardrum..the build up of pressure caused the rupture …infection can actually travel to the brain if the inflamation is severe enough

this sounds like it went on far too long….the result of not regular check overs and ear cleaning…poor wee lad must have been in some pain…

diet will affect yes…as you know i only have to give falkor the smallest amount of beef for his ears to start….

i am not sure re the ear cleaner at this stage…the infection needs to clear up and what repair that can happen needs to happen i guess..

but once that has been sorted then yes regular cleaning is needed

Terriers were the ‘poor mans dog’ the rat killers and vermin controllers, very tough, great opportunist eaters and scavengers.  They have few dietry problems as a rule. the local food for these wee hard working dogs would have consisted of a lot of grain, often of poor quality or even wild, and meats from the fox, badger and the other so called vermin on the land they worked in, as such terriers can tolerate most foods including beef and all grains but I wouldnt give any soya products

Anonymous

Poor little dog, I can remember the pain Layla was in and she only got a spear seed head inbedded in her ear drum.
    I would not use the ear cleaner for this problem bet he came with ear problems and his diet has made them worse
    Val

Gracie

thank you  🙂

yes she did always have smelly mucky ears and scratched them alot, i did say everytime i went to visit that they need cleaning :-\ the vets did give ear cleaner on 1st jab but then an ear prob got picked up when she was spayed then guess it burst – and yes prob she came with it  🙂

she itches in general her skin, been wormed and flead would elimination diet be the way to go??

Anonymous

Yes Jacks are as tough as old boots so I would say this is diet with a big D.
    It takes a hell of a lot to burst an ear drum thats why I say she came with it, if the ear cleaner had been used then ‘sigh’ if only if
    Val

[quote author=Gracie link=topic=12247.msg236841#msg236841 date=1219005259]
    thank you  🙂

yes she did always have smelly mucky ears and scratched them alot, i did say everytime i went to visit that they need cleaning :-\ the vets did give ear cleaner on 1st jab but then an ear prob got picked up when she was spayed then guess it burst – and yes prob she came with it  🙂

she itches in general her skin, been wormed and flead would elimination diet be the way to go??
    [/quote]

Mudgie

will the ear drum repair or is the damage now done  ???

will it be more sensitive in future – hearing loss …..  here I go again, questions questions questions

poor pooch that must have hurt  :-*

Gracie

the vets have said 6 – 8 weeks i am guessing it would heal as ours heal.

Will get he some cleaner mixed up for when the vets give the ok!!

do you know what i was just thinking that the 1st time Gracie met her she would not leave her alone we went for a walk and i had to put Gracie on lead and walk infront as gracie just had her pinned down and was nibbling her ear she would no let up – wonder if Gracie was trying to help clean it or knew there was a prob  :-\

and i take it this is a case to give antibiotics as think she is is on them for a few weeks maybe about 4

Anonymous

Yes the antibiotics should be taken.
    You just thought Gracie was being a pain dogs always know when another dog is in trouble
    Val

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime