Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Can stroke alter mental behaviour?

Home Archive Forums Dogs Health Can stroke alter mental behaviour?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Diesel73

Can it be that Wodan’s stroke has altered his mental behaviour?

He never teamed up with my son,always with my daughter. But since he had the stroke he still carries her as if she’s made of gold, but teames up with my son.
    His recall is down the toilet  :butt: , when he’s working with my son. Well  ::) , if i do the recall. When my son calls him home he’s there  :scared: .
    When my son is not around, his recall is back to perfect ……  ???
    He never done that, never ignored my recall, not even as tiny pupper. Normally when the kids command him he looks at me, waiting until i confirm. Now he not even sees me. Perfect follow the kids’ commands.

Is almost pet, kissed and cuddled to death by my wife, still shivers when wants to get her attention, and now will only work on ‘the kids’ lifestock’ which he treats as….. puppies  ??? .

He works on them as he should, but because these birds are handfed and played with by the kids for over 2 months, those birds are soooo domesticated that they know nothing else than kids and dogs. So the birds play with the dogs.
    Haven’t seen Wodan like this for yeeeears. Jumping around, tail wiggling intens, playing with the birds as he did as a young dog with puppies.

The kids are over the moon with ‘their’ dog, and now want me to invest in ducks  ::) . So for the past few days i chalanged them. My daughter calls Wodan ‘hers’, my son been asking for a baby Diesel, so i said; ‘set the youngens loose, take your boy and show me what you got’.

And brother they did  :scared: ……. Like they haven’t done anything else for the past 30 years or so. But my Wook? He even mounted Diesel for the past few days. He like 1 year old all over. And ignoring my recall  ??? …….

Can this mental turnaround be due to the stroke?

Nakisha

Wow… he does sound very happy, heehee…

I don’t have the right knowledge to answer your question… but it does seem to me that Wodan feels delighted to be so much better and that he’s enjoying (and milking, lol) it to the max.  ;D

It’s a tad odd he doesn’t answer to your recall like he used to though… I wonder what more informed people will think….

kizkiznobite

mmm difficult one diesel…i guess it depends on what part of the brain has been damaged but mental and behavioural regression can occur after strokes wth varying degrees of vestibular dementia…depending on what the inhibitors are…i have known the gentlest of dogs to develop aggression etc…and while i have never come across a dog that regressed to elements of puppyhood i dont see why not…humans that have had strokes can become ‘childlike’ so…

but i also think there may be some other stuff or combined stuff happening here, i would guess that he finds it more rewarding being with the children and the hand reared birds…ie the pressure of ‘real’ work is off and they have re-enforced the conditioning by their style of care and encouragement and excitment etc, just has sunshine has re-enforced the shivers …hence his now conditioned responses…

his relationship with you, from his point of view, was/is based on work expectations and rewards such as your social appraisal being given for achieving….i would guess that the self rewards he has now discovered and the rewards the kiddies offer has counter conditioned this….

so i think there is a mix of stuff happening…i would try taking the recall with you back to basics…if he is acting like a pup then treat him like a pup  🙂 and go back to how you train a pup to recall to you when there is the distraction of kiddies etc about…but you going to have to find a huge reward or make yourself extra rewarding me thinks  :yes:

interesting….but am so glad he has a new lease of life  :agree:

Diesel73
    quote :

interesting….but am so glad he has a new lease of life    :agree:

Oh yes i do  :yes: . Thàt day i said to my vet; ‘i am not asking to get back a young dog, i just want my 12 year old back,… more or less.’
    Little did i know bwahahaha  😀

quote :

his relationship with you, from his point of view, was/is based on work expectations and rewards such as your social appraisal being given for achieving….i would guess that the self rewards he has now discovered and the rewards the kiddies offer has counter conditioned this….

Hmmm  ::) , that might very well be what is ‘wrong’ …. He is like a kid in nurseryschool who just found out he can refuse standing in the naughty corner  :suspious: ….

quote :

so i think there is a mix of stuff happening…i would try taking the recall with you back to basics…if he is acting like a pup then treat him like a pup  and go back to how you train a pup to recall to you when there is the distraction of kiddies etc about…but you going to have to find a huge reward or make yourself extra rewarding me thinks  :yes:

Thàt won’t be to hard i think  😀 …….. i hope  ::)  😛

quote :

Wow… he does sound very happy, heehee…

Diane,…… he’s like a todler aaaall over again. I just hope that this time he’ll skip the teenage stage hahaha  😀 .

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime