Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Carbohydrates good or bad?

Home Archive Forums Dogs Health Carbohydrates good or bad?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Sweetypye
    cjane

Interesting article.  I’m a big meat porridge fan, making it with brown rice and/or oats, and feeding it with mixer.  I am often concerned that I’m feeding too much carbs.  This article recommends 75% animal based protein and 25% carbs in home-cooked diet, what do others think?

CJ

Anonymous

It’s about what I feed give or take a meal, I don’t look on dog food a an exact science just as long as it pans out during the week is good enough for me.
    I would say my little ones eat less carbs than what they recommend but on the other hand they can cope with offal without any tummy trouble, where as if I let the beardies eat offal on the same ratio as the pekes they would get loose, I tend to cook more food in the winter than the summer usually in the summer it’s something dead that gets tossed there way.
    Thinking about it the pekes also get more fruit in the summer as they are big fans of soft fruit they have all been eating blackberries this mornng
    Val

Dree

[quote author=Sweetypye link=topic=12406.msg239851#msg239851 date=1220875840]
    http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter/carbohydrates-good-or-bad/

Especially for phil…………
    [/quote]

I like Lew Olsen’s articles.  Having said that, I think that 25% carbs in a diet is too much.  I raw feed my dogs, but I do put a tiny amount of porridge oats in their dish for the morning.  It’s more a habit, so that I can add some oil and garlic and BY, and it soaks in no problem.  I really should stop myself feeding the darn stuff!!  Of course, if you’re cooking, as Lew says, the fibre has to come from somewhere.  But with a raw diet, carbs in any form just aren’t necessary.  But (another but!  ;D) no-one can tell me that dogs don’t like fruit, cos my lot practically pick them off our tree!!

kizkiznobite

oats are good  🙂

Sweetypye

I think if you read the article carefully she does not RECOMMEND 25%…………

Anonymous

When using carbohydrates in home cooked diets, I generally recommend using about 75% animal based protein, and 25% carbohydrates.
    Thats what it says  :ok:

[quote author=Sweetypye link=topic=12406.msg239876#msg239876 date=1220886549]
    I think if you read the article carefully she does not RECOMMEND 25%…………
    [/quote]

Sweetypye

Ok she does not recommend feeding carbs per se herself but when using them in home cooked diets …………..etc etc

That is what I meant to convey, and failed……….

Diesel73
    quote :

It’s more a habit, so that I can add some oil and garlic and BY, and it soaks in no problem

Hmmm, either garlic is somewhere in their food or i give it separet while i have breakfast. For breakfast Wodan prefers his garlic squeezed and spreaded on 3 toasted darkest of dark slices of bread. Diesel prefers his garlic squeezed and spreaded on 1 soft slice of bread, any kind will do, not toasted by preference.

Spoiled rotten  ::) .

Sweetypye

OMG, Phil will be turning puce……………… :pray:

kizkiznobite

well…mashed potato and garlic will settle his stomach  :ok:

cjane

I agree Val, it’s impossible to achieve a balance over a day, but over say a week you can roughly ensure they’re getting the right mix.

On the Burns website, he recommends 1/3 (by volume) rice, 1/3 meat, 1/3 veg in a home-cooked diet.

http://www.burns-pet-nutrition.co.uk/homecooking.htm

Quite a bit more carbs than 25%!

Anonymous

Thats because it’s a complete food they are ALL high carb thats why you get a lot more out the other end  :ok: they use it for bulk

[quote author=cjane link=topic=12406.msg239984#msg239984 date=1220953251]
    I agree Val, it’s impossible to achieve a balance over a day, but over say a week you can roughly ensure they’re getting the right mix.

On the Burns website, he recommends 1/3 (by volume) rice, 1/3 meat, 1/3 veg in a home-cooked diet.

http://www.burns-pet-nutrition.co.uk/homecooking.htm

Quite a bit more carbs than 25%!
    [/quote]

cjane

No, he’s not describing their complete food, he’s making recommendations for a home-cooked diet.

I’m feeding a mixture of raw and home-cooked and struggle to find definitive recommendations on what is the right proportions of protein and carbs.  It may be be an exact science but surely there are some guidelines somewhere.

Anonymous

guidelines for homecooked food

your dog – its still alive / fit / healthy etc…
    its poop – quantity and consistancy

incidentally – i did write to mr burns (not the burns one the other one that had something to do with the company mudgie was/is something to do with) and he wrote back maybe you could ask him ?

🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime