Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

changes the the kennel club breed standards

Home Archive Forums Dogs Dogs changes the the kennel club breed standards

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    kendal
    Justine&Rafe

Brilliant.  About time, too!  Amazing to see what a little bit of media pressure can get done!

Fingers crossed this is the first of a number of changes to allow judges to include more health aspects and not just appearance when considering the dogs in front of them.

Anonymous

Thats easier said than done.
    Apart from the odd blind judge that as put up a lame dog most have put up the dogs that are not visable sick the problem is most dog problems are on the inside.
    And lets not forget there are only less than 300 genetic diseases in dogs unlike humans that have in the region of 3000
    If you compare the breed standards you will find few breeds have changed much anyway
    Val

[quote author=xxpsychexx link=topic=13459.msg257879#msg257879 date=1232121986]
    Brilliant.  About time, too!  Amazing to see what a little bit of media pressure can get done!

Fingers crossed this is the first of a number of changes to allow judges to include more health aspects and not just appearance when considering the dogs in front of them.
    [/quote]

Justine&Rafe

I don’t envy your job Val! 

And at the end of the day is up to the KC and registering bodies to have the systems in place to eliminate dogs of poor health before they reach the show ring…  and eventually breed you a better quality competitor to judge!

Anonymous

It’s not a job it’s a hobby my job is grooming, I always do my own thing and I can spot an unfit dog a mile away.
    IMHO it’s mostly media hype anyway, health tests for dogs has been around for a long time
    If Jemina puddledick was to take up the quest to hound the puppy farmers out of business or chase the KC to stop pet litters without health checks being registered.
    Followed by all the terrible thing the RSPCA have done and just how they spend the publics money, now that would be worth watching on the BBC
    Val

[quote author=xxpsychexx link=topic=13459.msg257910#msg257910 date=1232136927]
    I don’t envy your job Val! 

And at the end of the day is up to the KC and registering bodies to have the systems in place to eliminate dogs of poor health before they reach the show ring…  and eventually breed you a better quality competitor to judge!
    [/quote]

Justine&Rafe

I’m aware health tests have been around, but in far too few cases have they been compulsory for KC registration… The change in the KC remit still falls far short of what I think is needed – dogs in top level shows with their various health stats taken into consideration – things like hip scores which can be quantified – when placing them within the ring.  Clearly it would still be open to exploitation, no system is perfect, and couldn’t be implemented until the microchipping/tattooing system is in place.

Your point re health checks is, I completely agree hugely important, and I honestly can’t see why they couldn’t just implement that immediately.

Like you said, even better than the above would be the removal of all puppy farms and the breeding of any dog without some sort of permission.  Ideally you’d have each house checked and owners vetted, but as that just wouldn’t work, perhaps some sort of aptitude test, just to open people’s eyes to the problems that breeding a litter without thinking about it can bring!!  But that isn’t going to happen any time soon, so at the mo just gonna have to settle for what they’re doing now.  It’s a move in the right direction is all.

Anonymous

Unfortunately it is still not compulsory to do any tests for KC registration, it’s the breeders and the clubs that are the backbone of testing not the KC
    Val

Justine&Rafe

Thought there was some rule about border collie eye testing?

As for the rest, is fine if reputable breeders, but as we see all too often on here – not all are!

Anonymous

Not rules just recommendations  ::)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime