Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

chasing things

Home Archive Forums Dogs Basic Dog Training chasing things

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

stan has decided that he wants to chase varies differant birds, cats and foxs :boooo: and it has now got to a point were he doesnt come back when called and seing as how everytime he goes chasing something he lames himself :scared: i need to find a way to stop it.

any ideas ???

kizkiznobite

he needs training hun…

stickies to begin with..

best place to be

ok i have read the post twice ;D so bev:
    how would i cue the look at me/best place to be and i cant use treats as he goes hypo and starts nipping and biting

this all started because he went for the ducks by the pond and i was to far away to do anything, then he did it again when i was right next to him but the recalll was ignored then this morning he chased a cat ignored a recall and didnt come back for quite a few minuets after which he was put back on lead and ended walk and that was how he lamed himself this morning

kizkiznobite

mmm so…what has happened is that you have had an extinction on a cue that was not fluent and reliable without hesitation in the first place

you got to go back to basics

you got to get recall first

then leave it…and with a recall

and a whole load else

it all on here…as my hands a crap others will help direct you i am sure

:ok: thanks

Anonymous

firstly – i wouldnt let him off again until you have repaired this – he obviosuly thinks he can piss off after whatever he fancies littleΒ  >:D >:D

you need to work on leaveit and recall i bet there are posts in stickies – i did the high criteria stuff with bonnie on a long line at first so she never got an extinction

claire x

*Nick*

Kerrie, along with getting the recall and leave-it cues in place my advice, for what it’s worth, is to try very hard to be one step ahead of Stan. Meaning, see the potential “prey” before he does and cut him off at the pass so to speak.Β  Needless to say this isn’t easy but it does help.

Anonymous

I’d definately go with a long line if you need to take him out running! We had a similar problem with Meg and the train! She would hear it coming and just leg it parallel with the tracks (I would like to point out that we, and her, were two fields away and the train line is on the hill, which is why she could see it!) We managed to pre-empt the train (as we knew what time it was coming!) and started with putting her on the lead and praising her once the train had gone and she looked at us. This finally ended as a reliable “wait” command once she started getting excited that the train was coming! she would wait for us to catch up with her and then watch the train and instantly look at us for her treat! What we tried to do was teach her to be calm around the train!! Can’t wait to do this next summer when she will be much better cued!
    Rabbits however are a different ball game! They are unpredictable!! Being that the bunnies usually run towards the train line we have to be very careful! Once we have a reliable leave it cue we shall test on the bunnies!!! Most of our walking takes place in the dark at the mo so we are not encountering much fast moving stuff (apart from cars), Love watching my two play frisbee in the dark!!
    good luck!

Anonymous

Hi,

Nick you are 100% spot on here – I agree πŸ™‚Β  I do loads of this to get my cues in early – and yep Nick is totally right it really helps πŸ™‚

Longline is also a good idea though it takes a bit of getting used to not to get legged up lol !!!Β  πŸ˜€Β  I still do – oops !Β 

Rabbits are my bonnies highest distraction – there is nothing more she loves than to chase a rabbit.Β  You need it super reliable – early – lots of rewards but you will get there – also there may be times when you dont mind stan / meg chasing rabbits (i dont know how you feel personally on this) but i let bonnie hunt telling her “getit” and then she knows shes allowed but obviously only do this if your dog knows best place to be or it’ll just clear orf πŸ˜€Β  Had some heart stoppers proofing her on the furries!

It can be done on long line first but you need to remember that qualitatively to the dog being on a long line is viewed differently from being “free” – i have an intermediate stage where i drop the line and get ready to stand on it if she breaks cue but only do this if you have open ground or your dog will get caught up if it breaks cue πŸ˜€

Claire x

[quote author=*Nick* link=topic=12985.msg250063#msg250063 date=1226087881]
    Kerrie, along with getting the recall and leave-it cues in place my advice, for what it’s worth, is to try very hard to be one step ahead of Stan. Meaning, see the potential “prey” before he does and cut him off at the pass so to speak.Β  Needless to say this isn’t easy but it does help.
    [/quote]

if i can catch him before he goes then hes fine and focused on me again because i know when hes going to go and ussually either touch or “oy” at him πŸ˜€ but yesterday we were out in the dark and before i new it hed gone.
    befor the first misshap i could recall him mid chase and his leave it was very good (wont say perfect πŸ˜€ ) but because i was a bit slow we will have to go back to the beginning.
    i will get out my long line and start form there ;D

yesterday i took stan out for a walk and did some very intencive training (for us anyway πŸ˜€ ) we did walking to heal: left, right, foward, back, about turn, sit, down, back up to sit from the down, come, away. stay, me walk away and him come to heel instead of racing past me. all on a long line. then we went to the pond and there were four water voles sat on the edge eating bird seed so i stood far way from them stan had his trying to run after them and ran into the end of the line a few time then sat whining, once he settled i moved closer to the voles untill we were only about 2 foot away. the voles were running back and forth to their den so it was perfect practise for stan and me.

then today we did it again and he had 1 minuet off lead on the beach half way through, came back perfectly. did heel work again then did the pond again and he had another minuet off lead at the end and did the heel work and recall

still needs a bit off work but hes learning it quickly ;D

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime