Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Chickens!!!

Home Archive Forums General Category Gossip Chickens!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • Author

we cant have chooks here – something to do with the council so you’d best check !! 🙂

*Nat*

We are looking into it Claire, covenants on the property could put a stop to it until the houses are 15 yrs old  ::)

But then again those covenants are supposed to stop commercial vehicles (yeah right), fences, trees, shrubs over a certain height, I suppose unless anyone complains they can’t be enforced  :-\

Anonymous

have you thought of adopting one of these: http://www.bhwt.org.uk/

Is what I plan to do  ;D

*Nat*

Yeah have thought of them, it’s a possibility  ;D

Diesel73
    quote :

Ok one question!!! Piper!!! How do I stop her from going nuts at them?  Bev  Any tips?

Does anyone else have chickens? 

Oh, uhm  ::) …. i got a few  😀 .

My tip? Try teach her to herd  :tease: .

[quote author=*Lassie* link=topic=14051.msg265434#msg265434 date=1239048053]
    If you are keeping them for the eggs good luck as they are very clever at hiding them ;D
    [/quote]
    In henhouse, chalk egg, just 1 in each nest. When they start to lay eggs, remove chalk egg. No problemo  😉 .

[quote author=claire wills + bonnie link=topic=14051.msg265503#msg265503 date=1239192685]
    bonnie would like to eat them 🙂

ppl always give me dark looks when i am explaining the meats at tesco to Harry …

funniest was when one morning we chose some roast turkey slices and in the afternoon popped over to the rescue and i stood there and went ooh harry theres a turkey thats where your turkey slices come from that we chose this morning !  …. what exactly is wrong with that ?????!!!!!!

oh and i ate pigs that had names – no problem … very tasty bacon and sausages indeed from spotty and scratching haha !! 🙂

Claire x

[/quote]
    Because that is dark, Claire. 

Nat, Lassie is right. Better not name them. I got loads, yet i not eat what i feed (i sometimes raise babychick by hand). Those few that have names stay till the end. All those that have not……. yumyum  :tease: .

Nat, you planning to have only female chickens and no male? 

*Nat*

OMG Diesel how could I forget you have loads of birds lol  😀 Yeah just planning on females, don’t think the neighbours would appreciate a cockeral  ;D

merrow

have kept hens for years from chicks to rescued or abandoned hens lol havnt got any at mo my sister forgot to lock them up and fox came by 🙁 :'(

they are such grate pets and one way to get the dog to stay clear is have one ooking after chicks lmao our hen chased norman round the garden once well he never deard go nr them again (he only wanted a wee)

all our dogs didnt pay attention to them even friends dogs apart from a gray hound that would have anything that moved 🙂

[img width=468 height=318]http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g45/bryony-and-teddy/n503202168_783085_2865jpg.jpg[/img]

[img width=468 height=350]http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g45/bryony-and-teddy/n503202168_783100_3579jpg.jpg[/img]

[img width=468 height=320]http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g45/bryony-and-teddy/n503202168_926068_8057jpg.jpg[/img]

lmao we had a cockeral once he was being picked on on and half dead so we said he could come to ours to live out his days with my girls well wow talk about lease of life the bugger even started to crow again he had to sleep under the stairs cubord at night lmao

*Nat*

Lol Bryony  😀 Great pics  ;D

Diesel73

[quote author=*Nat* link=topic=14051.msg265658#msg265658 date=1239482806]
    OMG Diesel how could I forget you have loads of birds lol  😀 Yeah just planning on females, don’t think the neighbours would appreciate a cockeral  ;D
    [/quote]
    Than it is possible that one of your hens will become a she-cockeral. She can grow a larger … uhm  :-\ ‘red thingy on her head’ and even spurs and all. She just wont make the typical male sound. But if you ever got one of those and she really hard on the others than you’ll have to remove her. Chicks like those can bully other chickens to death.

(but if you strategicly put your henhouse right against the sun, your male won’t make a sound befor 8 am  😉 . )

Merrow, first pic-chick…. got some sussex point blood inthere.

merrow

i havnt a clue where she would of got that from lmao she was my first hatched (my fav) but the black one died at 11 and that was a fox i cant wait to get some more mine used to sit on my blanket and sunbath with me lmao

i got some good pics somewhere of them sitting in the dog bed as well lmao chickens are my fav pets after dogs

i hope you do get them nat cant wait to see the pics

*Nat*

Thanks for the tips, know who to ask for advice now  ;D We only want 3 or 4, gotta sort the garden out for them and make a run etc. As soon as we have them I will post pics don’t worry  ;D

Diesel73

Nat, have you thought of little babychickens? They’ll be afraid of nothing and will grow more attached to you and yours….. and dogs  😉 .

merrow

o baby chooks even better ahhhhhhh i went and visited my friends farm when he got his day olds in i nealry filled my hand bag with the weeee yellow fluffy things lmao

*Nat*

We’ve found somewhere to get them but they aren’t babies, they are about 3 months old I think! The neighbour of my mums who has chickens gets hers from there, the ones she has now are very tame as she was on holiday and the breeder kept them for a few weeks longer until they got back, the son hand reared them so they are really friendly. I’d be happy to bring up some chicks  ;D

*Nat*

Well we have our coop, it needs doing up a bit but it’s good and solid so will be great. Matt’s gonna make a run then we’ll get the chickens  ;D We’re going to get 4 probably, 2 Mendlesham Rangers and 2 Suffolk Blacktails  🙂 They’ll be around 16-19 weeks old and at point of lay, can’t wait! This is the place we’re getting them from and you can see the type we’re getting  ;D

http://www.henhousepoultry.co.uk/

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime