Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Clicker training for fireworks – Can it help?

Home Archive Forums Dogs Dogs Clicker training for fireworks – Can it help?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

An e-mail received at Dog Club:

Dear Sir/Madam

I was upstairs when it happened. At 7.30pm a loud crack and bang closely followed by the sound of a large hairy beast pounding up to find me. Harry my 3 year old golden retriever, who never comes up the stairs, stood on the landing, head down, tail between his legs. With a feeling of dread I realised it had begun……the start of the dreaded firework season, and it was only the 17th October.
    If the last three years are any thing to go by, we have now got 2/3 months of having to ensure Harry is taken out before it gets dark and then standing no chance of him setting paw outside again before daylight the following day, whilst indoors he becomes a gibbering wreck and jumps at every crackle, whizz or bang.

My daughter came up with an idea, could we clicker train Harry not to be scared of fireworks?

So, I sat all night with the clicker and treats to hand. If I heard a firework and Harry jumped or reacted – we ignored him. If there was only a little bang and he did not react then I immediately clicked and rewarded. So far so good and we shall keep trying this. We may take him out when it starts to get dark and try the same tactics with the clicker whilst walking him on lead. If he jumps – ignore him, if there is no reaction (which I think highly unlikely!) then click and reward.

I am guessing it can’t do much harm to give this a go – but would appreciate any comments or other suggestions please. 

I should point out that when Harry was six months old, we were out walking, on the 3rd November and I think a firework frightened him and he bolted.  I say I think, as I only recall waking up in the road and had then ended up in hospital for three days with a knee injury and concussion.  I lost at least five minutes memory which has never returned.  Harry stayed with me whilst I was on the floor and if fireworks were going on at that time, is it possible he still recalls that incident – hence his fear! 

Anonymous
    Inactive

Only having had dogs that have showed mild alarm at fireworks, I have tended to be able to get away with standing in the Garden for half an hour reassuring the dog, until they are calm and no longer show interest in the fireworks.  The next day, they have ignored the fireworks.

As Harry appears to be showing a little more alarm with the Fireworks; Is this clicker training likely to help Harry get over the long term effects of Fireworks?

Val

Thought this breed was in the gundog group  :embarrass:
    I am no expert as I tend to ignore anything I do not like a dog doing, but I would of thought if he’s that bad he won’t be able to focus, surely this will draw attention to the problem ?.

Val

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime