Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

CM

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    .dodger.

In regards to the post about the two dogs fighting the OP said they were using methods from Cesar Milan, I didn’t want to hijack the thread so started a new one to ask could someone explain what exactly he is doing wrong? i’m apart of another forum where almost everyone worships the ground he walks on…. Don’t get me wrong i know that he teaches out of fear but can someone explain how? It’s one of these things where you know it’s wrong but you don’t know why exactly? Reason i asked is because i replied to someone on the other forum saying CM was crap as he teaches out of fear, and after the hysterics of me saying such a thing was over someone asked me why and i just couldn’t answer?? ???

Mudgie

A lot of his stuff is about pressuring dog – dog doesnt make decisions but does them out of fear or pain.  Walks on loose lead because if it doesnt then prongs go into neck and hurts dog.  Decreases the behaviour but isnt good for dogs mental health. 
    Flooding he uses a lot – like will take a nervous or aggressive dog into “his pack”.  if you were scared of spiders would you want to be in a room full of them until you get to the stage that you shut off to them completely or you realise that you have to adapt your reaction to the situation to survive mentally or indeed physically.
    Training and dog ownership and relationships should be based on a mutual respect and a positive experience  Mr Milan’s methods are neither of these.  I dont disagree that they work but if I hurt you every time you walked in front of me – would you walk in front of me?  and would walking with me be a positive experience then ? 
    All about choices and I choose an alternative every time.  My choice.  Depends on how you view your dog and the amount of time and effort you want to put into its well being.  If you want a quick fix then Mr Milan may work but what about long term effects? 

Anonymous

I watched an episode where he was dealing with a Jrt type dog that used to bark at motorbikes and I have never seen anyone be quite so violent – the dog screamed in pain… is enough to put me off to be honest. I would never want to hurt a dog like that…  Think he was using a prong collar on it?  Was very horrible to watch…

Mudgie

but a lot of people dont get that part they just get the “dog doesnt bark anymore at motorbikes”

sheralike

All his methods smack to me of coercion and make me feel very uncomfortable as the dog doesn’t know what is required of it.  I’ll stick with positive clicker training ta!!!  The thing that really upsets me is that the average pet owner watches him and is impressed by him for some strange reason.  Also his material is now being advertised in certain English doggy magazines and I don’t think this is good.  They print articles about positive training and then print a full page advert for him!! 

Lucyr

I really don’t like Cesar Milan but as i am currently studying for my Advanced Diploma in Canine Behaviour Management I will read all info from many behaviourists to form my own views….so I started to read his book.

In the first paragraph he talks of a NERVOUS Gsd bitch – this dog wouldn’t let anyone near her to put on a lead or do anything with her….now my methods would be to build up trust with this dog through reward based methods – Cesar Milan’s way was to chase this poor dog around until she was physically and mentally exhausted so she had to submit…..yes she’ll give in to him because she has no choice – fear based training.

I think it is cruel and unnecessary – reward based methods all the way for me.

CM has also been on Youtube hanging a dog by its collar until it passes out – according to him this is part of teaching the dog – in my opinion it is torture!

Mudgie

part of teaching the dog what  :educated:  >:(

that he doesnt have a clue  ::)

Stumpywop

Hi,

I used to watch his show until quite recently. There were occasions when a little of what he said made sense butthen he’d ruin it by hurting the dog concerned.

If he ever tied to reat my dogs like that (and beleive me, he’d never get anywhere near them with me about) I’d expect them to bite him AND I’d praise ’em for it.

A dog has every right to defend itself so to put it in a positino where it just has to give up because there’sno other option is disgusting.

My older GSD, Zane moved from the puppy class at training straight to the advanced class. Not because he was particularly great at it but because he worked very hard with me to achieve the right level of training to move up. The reason is that the guy who trains the intermediate group has adopted some of CM’s methods and to see them “in the flesh” so to speak is even worse than watching it on TV. There’s no way Zane was going into his group.

I’ve found that positive methods makes a happier dog, and therefore a happier, less stressed owner – although it can take a while sometimes. I’d rather takethe extr time and know I’ve treated my dogs with respect.

Laura xx

wags

because the guy can talk and that about it

– switch off the sound and watch the dogs thats my advice

Gracie

good point Wags, watching with no sound – watch the dogs, all that lip licking, ears back, not happy chappies at all  :-\

Stumpywop

Hi,

I was 2 of CM’s programmes today without the sound. It’s horrible. Why would anyone want to do that to dogs? It’s beyond me.

Laura xx

.dodger.

thanks for all the reply’s really helps me understand. I am a that point with my learning that i can see and read a dog body language but can’t always figure out the technical side to it all. I have just introduced the boy across the street to a clicker and I’m helping him get started with his Lab, just going back to basic’s. Like Bev did with me and Dodge 🙂

Anonymous

[quote author=.dodger. link=topic=14223.msg266905#msg266905 date=1242166932]
    In regards to the post about the two dogs fighting the OP said they were using methods from Cesar Milan, I didn’t want to hijack the thread so started a new one to ask could someone explain what exactly he is doing wrong? i’m apart of another forum where almost everyone worships the ground he walks on…. Don’t get me wrong i know that he teaches out of fear but can someone explain how? It’s one of these things where you know it’s wrong but you don’t know why exactly? Reason i asked is because i replied to someone on the other forum saying CM was crap as he teaches out of fear, and after the hysterics of me saying such a thing was over someone asked me why and i just couldn’t answer?? ???
    [/quote]if you watch the dogs a lot of them walk hunched up ears back mine walks head up and proud my dog comes to me because he want s to not because he is scared not to we owe a lot to dogs dogs for the deaf etc if dogs could talk they would tell you cm evil

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime