Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

cubert clumber

Home Archive Forums General Category Puppy talk cubert clumber

Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 930 total)
  • Author
    GSPmad

iwasn’thijackingiwastellingyouwhattodowithtailscosnoonewithtailsinyourhousetoadvise  😛 duibh

andwhentailgetsstoodongivereallyreproachfulsadlookthenyougetfussandiamsorries  ;D duibh

xtine

[quote author=zerlinda link=topic=11447.msg228895#msg228895 date=1215417258]

i sucked beaus tongue up the hoover once  😮 and yeah its his own fault when i say back off i mean it!  😀
    [/quote]

PMSLOL  😮 poor Beau

lol poor Beau – Honey now thinks she got off lightly  😀

So…………….Bev what else has not so little Cubert learnt recently  ;D

kizkiznobite

we working on the off leash stuff

the nudge postition and the heel on either side and the waitup stayby stuff

he doing good – my biggest problem – which i was expecting but havnt yet worked out how to deal with it – is that if we on our own he fine to a limit but isnt sustaining long enough – but it a bit soon and i may be exopecting too much as usual – if ami with us then he brilliant but thats because he taking cues from her not me – i can tell were his focus is – if you remember i missed this with ami and she tended to always check in with brose if i cued her

but as izzie saw on saturday  ;D he did a good half of a field in nudge and wait up and stayby and heel off leash

have also just started working on cueing the dog communication/responses – this way too early but with sam being the mouthy git he is i thought it better as i don’t want him learning sam’s noisy stuff as it sounds more aggressive than it is and would freak most folk and nervous dogs  ::)

am also tempted to start the bite on cue but am being good and holding off at the moment but i wanted to get it before his weight got too much

and we now re-enforcing the ext. recall  ::) he got a real nark on yesterday when he went back on leash  ;D and then put back in car for 10 minutes to chill off  >:D

Sounds good  ;D But whats the nudge? seen you talk about that before ? 🙂

And how do you teach cues for the communication and responses stuff??  ;D

kizkiznobite

the nudge is walking behind and nose touching back of leg every 5 steps ( can be any number but i do 5 with ami was 10 with brose  ) on whatever side i cue them to be – as i explained in nicks post – they have to let me know they are there – i generally do know they are but if i am sorting out a client’s dog for example and my focus is on a problem then i might not – so they have to say to me – am here mum …..

if xtine or widget noticed it with ami on sunday they can maybe explain it better

and oh lord …ok got to go out – will have a go at answering that one later  🙂 as by the noise the is coming from downstairs he hasnt learnt much about it yet  😀

Thanks Bev – wonder if I can teach Honey that……………..food for thought – how do I teach that?  :-*

Am off to work myself now so will read all this again later  ;D

;D wow he got lots of lessens, but then i suppose thats how you get real great doggies  🙂

GSPmad

[quote author=SuzAndTheDiva link=topic=11447.msg229116#msg229116 date=1215501588]
    And how do you teach cues for the communication and responses stuff??  ;D
    [/quote]

i asked that about 6 weeks ago on page 7 and didn’t get an answer.  🙁

Izzie

[quote author=kizkiznobite link=topic=11447.msg229107#msg229107 date=1215499745]

but as izzie saw on saturday  ;D he did a good half of a field in nudge and wait up and stayby and heel off leash

[/quote]

he did indeed, such a good boy :-*, thought the girls had given you a heart attack, after their behaviour  :-[

kizkiznobite

Sorry gsp – so you did and I meant to answer …but then got lost in the thread

Ok

It hard to explain for a couple of reasons
    1) Because it hard to put it in jargon free trainer speak – it not something I teach others as it not something that owners generally need and I never have typed it up except on my own training records and self assessment notes and evaluation in my own/dad’s shorthand…

2) Because in ‘the speak’ it sounds sort of harsh – ‘conditioned’ brainwashing’ but it really isn’t so maybe sweetpye can help me out a bit here or Claire who has seen it in action…

the easiest way ( I think ) to try and explain it is this…

If you consider that in the meeting with another dog communication starts at 1 potential flight or f off and ends with 20 no flight so am coming in and ok then bring it on or yeah lets play – and then jump on to flight or bite or greet lets play – then you sort of there…
    As in the flight or alternatively old fashioned submission behaviour – is at the bottom of the scale – depending on temperament – and the bite is at the top – then in between in a mentally balanced dog are the rest of the sentences

And as I have said many times the safest dog in the world is the dog with a cued bite because then you have the ‘lead up’ and the ‘release’ and the ‘nobite’ all on cue – so all I do is extend that and get all those lead ups on cue combined with the greet over greet yes you will go greet regardless appeasement – because I then have each on  an ‘off’ switch

blimey this hard…

So lets take an example – he now plays rough – he got some of his big boyo teeth in – he has some weight – he still has serious speed – so with ami he has a bigger advantage than in that first vid where she was clearly able to manage him  – and of course he has nuts so she more tolerant but…what I now do is that I let it go so far with her under cue – so instead of her defending the play rough bite with an un cued automatic telling etc I cue her to take the early stages and then cue her ‘tellhim’ – which is about mid sentence – at the point of where if she wasn’t under cue she would have him on a second warning – so what I have done  – as she is under cue – is by-passed her normal warnings – so she looks to me before sending him flying or I cue him to cool it…..

Now with sam – the problem is that is sam is very very vocal – even when playing gently he very growly vocal – so if they playing tuggy it sounds like cubert is about to be murdered and he had started to respond the same way so I have had to cut it short because I can’t work with a dog that responds heavy with heavy – so what I am doing is cueing him off for the ‘timeout’ and on then return to the play but doing the greet nice and greet silent and offer appeasement – he has that bit – he returns and licks sam’s mouth  I now have to move it on so I can cue either offer or ‘tellhim’ and that the iffy bit – that the instant decision bit of dog at risk – I know sam would back off but not every dog would  – so the risk is mine or anyone else’s dog – especially if the dog cannot speak dog at all or misses some of the sentences…

It was so easy with brose but then I didn’t have a sam in the house and I didn’t start it until she was older

for me this is where self assessment – evaluation – record keeping etc comes in …I can check back on brose’s training records and compare and I see where any mistakes were mine and look at the difference between male female and assess and re think

hope that all makes sense

and I still cannot decide if it too soon for the higher end of the series and go for the bite nobite…he very young but he growing by the day and I am getting older by the day …

sweetypye?? If you read this input welcome thanks…

kizkiznobite

izzie…they increased my heartrate  :-* and my nicotine intake  :-*

Izzie

[quote author=kizkiznobite link=topic=11447.msg229187#msg229187 date=1215528592]
    izzie…they increased my heartrate  :-* and my nicotine intake  :-*
    [/quote]

And you wonder why I get so stressed??? 😀

lol Izzie what on earth did the girls do?  😀

I think I get most of that bev  🙂 going to go over it when im not so tired and then come back to you  😉

Izzie

bearing in mind they had been in the car for 4-5 hours, we met up with Bev for a quick walk.

Trixie buggered off first, then came back and then did it again with Jess in tow. They then dissapeared for 10-15 mins, no sign of them, Bev blew her whistle, Jess appeared looking for us but going in the wrong direction, then appeared. Then we heard Trixie who was busy hunting solo on the other side of the river in the reeds, yapping. Jess swam accross and they buggered off again,Jess came back then Trix. We went back to the car and Jess decided that she wasnt ready to go, after 5 minutes of calling the pair of them Trixie came back and got in the car, Jess wasnt for coming back, she was having far too much fun!  >:( >:( >:(

She eventually came back and we left.

Bev was a bit shocked, I was tired from driving and had another 2-3 hours of driving left to do.
    So, you think your dogs are bad………..meet the spangles.

I swear that Jess was always the good one, but last week she was absolutely awful, the duck incident was by far the worst thing she did. 

Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 930 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime